Floor Mount Info

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I am looking at putting a floor mount in my 3rd Gen 4runner. The concept would be using a gas pipe flange bolted to the passenger side of the transmission hump or onto the floor and come up using a gas pipe. Mounted on the vertical pipe would be remote heads for a TS480 and an ID5100. Building this would be a fraction of the cost of buying so seeing how to make this work.

Q's

1) If you use a floor mount - NOT A SEAT BOLT MOUNT - could you share some pictures? Trying to get some ideas on how others have done it.

2) Anyone familiar with the space between the hump for the body and the transmission on a 3rd gen 4runner? Is there enough space for a bolt and nut?

Thanks!

prerunner1982

Adventurer
The gas pipe and flange is going to be the most sturdy option, maybe not the prettiest. Unless the neck of an aftermarket mount is short it will move around with a control head or two mounted on top. I have a short mount that works decently well for my TS480 control head but still moves around some on washboard roads. My tablet mount has a longer neck and it moves around quite a bit even with a lighter table on it. I will be putting a pipe clip on it to secure it against the console some to minimize the movement as much as I can.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
under-dash mount for CB

Why not securely attach it to your dash, if there's room? No vibration, and out of the way. I just posted about my "tablet for GPS mount" on that sub-forum, and also incidentally posted a pic of my CB mount. I had (years ago) mounted a 400w inverter to a wooden plate attached to the underside of my 2004 Silverado dashboard. When I needed a CB, I just added another metal strp to existing factory holes (2004 SILVERADO) and hung it underside of the inverter, leaving just enough room to tie-wrap a SWR meter in-between. The Uniden 520xl came with small brackets, which bolted to the heavy strap I made from 3/16" steel and bent to desired shape. I angled the CB towards my seat.6.jpg The Uniden Pro 520xl came with small brackets, which bolted to the heavy strap I made from 3/16" steel and bent to desired shape. I angled the CB towards my seat. The microphone is secured to my home-made console/armrest that sits on the middle seat (regular cab, WT option).

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The 4Runner does not have the space you show under the center part of the dash, only over in the passenger area. Also, I prefer to have easy eye and hand access to gear. So no bending down or just interpreting something on a quick glance out of the corner of my eye. Why do you need an SWR meter for the radio? Install once, set it and forget it. Check it once or twice a season and verify the antenna has not moved.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
The 4Runner does not have the space you show under the center part of the dash, only over in the passenger area. Also, I prefer to have easy eye and hand access to gear. So no bending down or just interpreting something on a quick glance out of the corner of my eye. Why do you need an SWR meter for the radio? Install once, set it and forget it. Check it once or twice a season and verify the antenna has not moved.

On my truck, everything has to be in-dash, on-dash, or under-dash, if you need to access it regularly. Even the glove box is out of reach. Once you get used to slightly stretching to insert CD's, or manually activating the brake controller above the accelerator, then an extra inch or so to switch CB channels is no big problem. My new tablet mount is the same to reach. However, my cellphone is kept much closer, so I can text while driving. Not !! Just kidding. I mounted the SWR meter and coax jumper in together, before tuning. The SWR was set with it there, so unless I want to run a new line, or adjust the antenna length, I'd just as soon leave it there. Besides, on my previous CB install (1975 Cobra 29, 1973 Superbeetle), I was always getting antenna damage (vandals, trees) and needed to check it frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne