"Floating" Self-Leveling Bed Frame Ideas?

erstwild

I have been working on plans for the bed system in my new rig, and I have been going back and forth on how sophisticated I'd like to make a "bed leveling" feature. Since I will be full-timing my new rig and a lot of different settings (urban to remote) where it might be hard to find a level parking spot, I have been tinkering around with different approaches. I'd like to skip using tire blocks, since in most cases I'll just been looking for a spot to catch some shut eye. Hammocks are a bit limiting as well. I'd be curious if anyone had any thoughts on how they would best go about this?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A low tech way is installing Airlift bags with the remote inflation system that allows you to release or inflate from the cab or living quarters. I had this on my Ford F-350 4wd CC dually with a Lance 1130. A really heavy rig. It allowed me to release air and lower the rear (front to back leveling) and add air to each side for left to right leveling. Now, I was limited to maybe 2-3 inches ether way but it worked great in roadside stops or relatively level parks, etc. on really crazy stuff I still had to use leveling blocks. Or go wild and add the bags to the corners of the sub-frame and have an air ride/air controlled system.....mmmmmm......crazy.....Good luck!

s.e.charles

my fear is if I provide you with a link I will be banished from the expo community for life or longer.

do a search for "love swing" and i'm sure you will find the ultimate solution . . .

The Artisan

Adventurer
Oh ok, I was trying to give him an alternative to do a bed. I was trying to link to that pic on my IG. Thanks for posting it up.
Kevin

Coachgeo

Explorer
saw an ambo or van conversion where the bed was hung on big manila rope. You just moved the knot to adjust bed level. Could see this done with cinch straps or ratchet straps too though .

erstwild

Wow, I was not expecting this thread to get resurrected! Thanks for more ideas everyone. I like the idea of mounting four sufficiently long/strong ratchet straps to all four corners of the bedframe/baltic birch board (3/4" thick). Hmm, I wonder if the walls or ceiling of the spacekap could possibly be strong enough to support this or if I will need to build an internal 80/20 aluminum frame?

eblau

Adventurer
what about a metal frame the same dimensions as your mattress and four tube legs on each corner that each slide into a larger tube leg with holes drilled at different increments allowing you to raise one end of the bed or the other or even go side to side if you wanted to.... just trying to think simple here.... something like the legs on an easy up awning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94