Flipping the usual dual battery system, lithium as starter battery, with small AGM backup.

john61ct

Adventurer
JCI in general is "meh" quality compared to what else is available in the US market.

Optima used to be fantastic back when manufactured by Enersys (Odyssey), inventor of both TPPL and the spiral AGM technology.

Like the old Diehard, ended up only Platinum was any better than others.

Anyway, developing world and remote markets, and those with high import duties, choices of what is available for reasonable pricing get very limited.

Even chinese Full River are probably better value than Optima for true deep cycling use.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
They include panels dude. So go “propagate” urself......

It's still not a generator.

Anyway. Optima batteries have the absolute worst specs of any AGMs on the market today. I can't see why anyone would consider them other than ignorance. As far as easily available batteries go, the X2Power batteries are phenomenal as are anything from Odyssey. I have had extremely good luck with the Duracell AGMs in deep cycle use on my boat and as an aux in the Ram for my fridge. I actually run the house Advance Auto AGMs as starting batteries on my Ram and they have been good as well. (They had a great sale going on when the OEM battery started giving me issues.)

Stephan07

Not a generator?? I can run 400W of panels and charge those 2 Lithium batteries and stay off grid camping for a week easily running my fridge and electronics.

Just so happens I configured it so it can charge when I drive, as well as top off when I’m home off AC. Go look up the definition of a generator. And then tell Honda that they don’t make generators.
Or just go take a couple crap online classes and educate yourself.

My whole point was while we are a fam of 2 Tesla’s and my second, the lithium batteries do indeed suck anywhere near freezing.

I’ll only give you props because I too love the X2 Power batteries. Using a group 24 as my main in both my 4 Runner and Defender. They are great. I don’t drive either often, and they are phenom batteries.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Not a generator?? I can run 400W of panels and charge those 2 Lithium batteries and stay off grid camping for a week easily running my fridge and electronics . . .

An elecric generator is a device that uses rotational kinetic energy to produce electric current. They come in two forms: dynamos (DC) and alternators (AC). Solar panels are converters: they convert the suns energy, photons knocking electrons off silicon wafers to cause current flow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_generator

john61ct

Adventurer
Honda does make generators.

And solar panels do generate power, but there is nothing useful gained by starting to call panels a "generator".

Why would you bring up your alternator without also claiming it is useful to include that in the ever expanding umbrella term generator.

But nothing that **stores** energy should be called a generator.

Except to indicate you're a scamming marketeer fooling noobie consumers that your grossly overpriced battery in a box will run the aircon while camping.

And there is also nothing useful to be gained by getting personal and insulting just because you disagree with someone.

Is that even within the rules we agree to as members here?

Asking sincerely, I know different cultures vary on where they draw the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne