FLIPPACK CAMPERS

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Having placed the first order with Sway-A-Way for the Fippac torsion bar I hope to have one in hand in the next week. I plan to be going to Overland Expo East with new bar in place.

What does your truck look like? I REALLY want to see the new bar. I will be there in a red 2002 Taco with Flippac.

theREDwonder

Observer
Having placed the first order with Sway-A-Way for the Fippac torsion bar I hope to have one in hand in the next week. I plan to be going to Overland Expo East with new bar in place.

Can you post up some pics/ review once you get it in? Picking up a Flippac next week and I am thinking about swapping out the torsion bar just so I don't have to worry about it

tacoluv

Observer
Sway-A - Way Torsion Bar

I will certainly do that. There is a good post on this forum for procedure for replacement - which I followed doing my first bar. I wonder how many have replaced two bars like have on 5 year old Flippacs? Don't get me started on a rant again. OK, I'm calm again.

SAW_George

Hey guys,

Quick update for everyone - we increased our stocking production quantity so everyone who ordered one so far will get theirs when our first batch is done and we'll have some for inventory. Bars are expected back on Friday from heat-treat, next step is we grind them and send off to paint. We expect to have everyone's bars shipped out within 10 days! I'll post photos of the bars when they're back from paint, before they get boxed.

Thanks,
George K.
Sway-A-Way

mattyj

George -

FRP's torsion bar was installed along with a ~1" tubular aluminum sleeve. I think one reason was to help protect the bar from water, but because the ends weren't sealed, it probably had the opposite effect - moisture would work its way in and then stay in. Whether by design or by accident, it also helped keep the carnage self-contained when the torsion bar snapped.

Do you recommend doing something similar, or mounting your torsion bar naked?

austintaco

Explorer
George -

FRP's torsion bar was installed along with a ~1" tubular aluminum sleeve. I think one reason was to help protect the bar from water, but because the ends weren't sealed, it probably had the opposite effect - moisture would work its way in and then stay in. Whether by design or by accident, it also helped keep the carnage self-contained when the torsion bar snapped.

That's a good question.

mattsavage

Observer
Yeah, last time mine snapped it tore that sleeve in two and left a big dent and scratch in the top of my truck.. there was also about a 4" schard that probably would have projectiled somewhere if it wasn't for that sleeve, knowing my luck probably would've gone through some kid's eye into his brain or something... :/

SAW_George

George -

Hi,

I forwarded your question to Brian, here's his response...

"I recommend using the stock tube for the same reasons. The factory bar did not have good corrosion protection. I do not know, but if water was contained in the tube up against the bar, this would be a problem also. There is a lot of stored energy in the bar when it is loaded so the external tube is a good idea for safety. We are considering making the tube as well because the tube is some time damaged when the bar breaks. If you are going to use the tube, it would be a good idea to drill a 1/4" hole on the bottom of the tube at each end to let air in and water out."

Hope that helps!
Best,
George K.
Sway-A-Way

Last edited:

tacoluv

Observer
Broken Bars

Both my bars broke in the closed position. In both instances the outer tube split open - but did not completely brake. I have been on several trips with broken bar and split tube. I have been using the delete mod to open and close the Flippac and can't wait to get my new torsion bar from Sway-A-Way. I will again get some AL tube from Home Depot to cover the bar. Did corrosion cause the bars to brake? Given the terrible finish and irregularities on the replacement bar from FRP I tend to lean towards poor quality.

SAW_George

Hi Guys,

Bars are all done aside from paint, they'll goto paint tomorrow and will ship to you before the end of the week!

Best,
George K.
Sway-A-Way

SAW_George

Hi Guys,

Bars are back from and paint and look great! All orders should be shipped out today...

flippac.jpg

Best,
George K.
Sway-A-Way

tacollie

Glamper
I got my shipping notice yesterday. I will say my last bar from FRP was uncoated. I shot a cost of epoxy primer and single stage on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior