Flippac torsion bar

dman93

Adventurer
Ouch tacollie. Shoulder may be less pain than 2 busted bikes and truck wounds. But glad everyone is OK. I have been thinking about checking out the 2016 DCSB Taco when it's released, but one nice thing about the 6.5' bed on my T100 is that there's plenty of room inside for our two bikes (and more) without a hitch rack. My new Tallboy and whatever my wife ends up getting to replace her hard tail (she's out demo'ing a 5010 right now), plus a new OneUp rack would be worth quite a bit more than my truck plus FlipPac.

tacollie

Glamper
The bike and rack bill is about $5k higher than the truck bill! We have two dogs inside the flippac so the bikes have to be on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacoluv

Observer
My second torsion bar has now broken as of yesterday when doing some checks prior to a trip. Last one was installed April 2015. I tried to call FRP for the last two days. 800 number has been taken out of service and 951 number just rings. This sounds like the end of bad service is at hand. I plan to revisited my quest for an alternative torsion bar supplier - anyone have any thoughts?

DaVikes

Adventurer
My suggestion is to call John at Ursa Minor. They built the JK Habitat for AT Overland, and sourced their own torsion spring. John might be able to share who the mfg. is as the Habitats are out of production. Another thought is to convert to gas struts, similar to the Tacoma Habitat. That would probably require some creative reinforcements of the Flip Pac shell and lid, but AT could probably give you suggestions as to the size and power of strut you would need.

springsyeti

Shocked. I am seeing a lot of new Pacs out there. I knew I should have ordered a spare when I was thinking about last year.

springsyeti

Just called a local dealer and they said they haven't been able to get anyone for sometime now.

tacoluv

Observer
I talked to Jay @ Coach RV & Truck in Henderson, CO a Flippac dealer and he said they have not been able to reach FRP in several weeks. He understands the problem with replacement torsion bars. Said he is working with a Denver machine shop over the next few days. I told him there could be orders in the hundreds if someone can see this through to get some made. My view is that without a torsion bar a whole lot of Flippac owners will have useless shells.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The torsion bars for the JK Habitat/J-180 were built by Foote Axle in Los Angeles. They were heat treated and not a simple process to make, nor were they inexpensive. Making them was not an exact process either with a lot of trail and error that took several months of R&D to perfect. They are quite different from the Flippac torsion bar in that they have a different spline, a different diameter and are shorter. The Flippac torsion rod is inherently flawed and merely copying the specs of one will only be another failure in the future. They also have a proprietary spline that would require expensive tooling to re-create. Given the failure rate, I personally would not want to work with the forge that made the originals.

AT has no intention of making replacement torsion bars for the Flippac. We have discussed the possibility of creating a conversion kit using gas struts but there a lot of obstacles to making it work well and we refuse to make anything that is substandard. We are very busy with the new Tacoma Habitats and a conversion kit is far off on our priority list. My advice for all Flippac owners for now it be gentle with your Flippac opening, it you have anything on the roof, remove it. If you have a heavier mattress, remove it. The less load on your torsion rod, the less likely it is to fail.

mattsavage

Observer
Maybe I've been lucky...

Two Torsion bars in 15 years... Kinda bummed that FRP may not be around. I was looking to buy another in the future, since AT doesn't seem to have any interest in building a Habitat for Nissans... :/

austintaco

Explorer
Does anyone live near the FRP facility? Are the Windows boarded up? I love my flippac and I just finished doing some extensive work to it and the truck, but when people ask me about it, I always advise them to check out the AT Habitat.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Does anyone live near the FRP facility? Are the Windows boarded up? I love my flippac and I just finished doing some extensive work to it and the truck, but when people ask me about it, I always advise them to check out the AT Habitat.

Someone on another forum (where there's a similar "Are they gone?" thread going) said recently that he went by and things were quiet, but there was still inventory around in the yard. The operating theory is that things might be slow so they've idled the plant to control costs. That said, if nobody is able to get in touch in another week or three, I'd guess they're done.

tacoluv

Observer
Hallelujah,

We have a source for our Flippac torsion bar. Sway-A-Way, the manufacturer of automotive and racing torsion bars informed me through Brian Skipper the company President that they are interested. He said they made a bar for a Tacoma size Flippac in the past and he has the documentation for that bar. Check out the Sway-A-Way website to see what they build.

I ordered my bar today to show my interest. Brian said he is doing a run of 5 bars until he can see what the interest is. The retail will be $299, so you can see the price is fair.
He also is able to make the supporting brackets if anyone needs them.

If you are interested give him a call or send him an email, brian@swayaway.com

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke