Flippac + Snow = I need your experience

Flagster

Expedition Leader
After much back and forth I have finally decided to keep my short bed tacoma, add a Flippac, and go with it...too much looking at this and that and this is nice...wow...I like that...this would need a bigger truck...etc...anyway
All the reading I have done on the Flippac on this site and others give good information on quality, usefulness, etc...but I still have not found much information on camping in cold/snowy weather. I understand that opening it would require clearing snow from the top before unfolding but I am more concerned with the strength of the tent/poles and the usefulness of the rain fly. Would I need a custom rain/snow fly or better poles to use in heavy snow.
I really don't plan on using the Flippac much in the snow but occasional overnights in backcountry parking lots during the winter would be nice. Will a Flippac work or do I need a four wheel camper?:)
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Never had mine in the snow yet but IMO you should be fine. In heavy rain that fly needs a good treatment with Nikwax to be effective. Be prepared to get wet when breaking camp, the fly is a handfull when wet.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks...how do you stow your fly?...I am picturing a SeaLine bag or similar until it can be dried or put back on the tent. And thanks for the inspiration from your build...it is what brought me to this site and made me decide to keep my 2005 Tacoma...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Wet or dry, I always fold it neatly and be mindful of those little vent poles... I broke on by being in a hurry. If its wet then i put it in a trash bag until i can dry it out so it doesnt soak everything in the box.

Bergger

Explorer
I feel your pain. I too have a short bed Tacoma and keep going back and forth on a Flippac or going back to a AT Chaser. I have heard that the flippac tent is not very good in wet conditions and that rain fly seems like a pain in the butt especially when wet. Outside of that is seems like a good platform. Having owned a Chaser with an Eezi Awn Tent I can attest to how it holds up in cold, wet, snowy condtions in Colorado. You will stay nice and dry. No mess when closing it up either. For that reason I am leaning towards getting another Chaser. Decisions decisions.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
All true. The FlipPac does have it's quirks but if properly cared for, and if you treat the fly with Nikwax, you will be nice and dry, my recent trip up to the Olympic Peninsula in WA saw several nights of FIERCE rain storms and freezing temps... I was fine ;)

With any setup, you have to learn what works and what the weak areas are and then just adapt things. I do know that AT has voiced plans to offer a replacement tent for the FP at some point with their new Habitat material that will eliminate the need for a separate rain fly.

Another RTT option that I'm told excels in bad weather is the Maggiolina.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
All true. The FlipPac does have it's quirks but if properly cared for, and if you treat the fly with Nikwax, you will be nice and dry, my recent trip up to the Olympic Peninsula in WA saw several nights of FIERCE rain storms and freezing temps... I was fine ;)

Good to know!!!...I have spent many days fishing in the Olympics and know that when it rains...go indoors...or in your case...to your flippac...
Since moving to AZ from Seattle, I have forgotten what a nice steady month of rain feels like...monsoons just don't cut it here in Flagstaff

NYCO

Adventurer
Same boat

I'm in the same boat - short bed double cab 07 Tacoma and live at 9,000 feet in CO. I go back and forth on Flippac vs. FWC vs. small toy hauler. All have different benefits/negatives. I see a guy around town with a Flippac, but haven't seen him stopped to ask about using it in the snow. I just want the convenience to camp in the snow IF I wanted to. Majority of the camping would be in warmer times/places. I have a small old tow behind popup that I camp in now and the heater is great. I just don't know how the Flippac would do with basically no insulation on the tent. I assume the heater would just run and run all night.

My top reasons I think I'll go with Flippac:
  • Just like a regular topper when you aren't camping in it
  • way cheaper and lighter than FWC (+cost of airbags, mounting hardware, etc.)
  • Don't have to worry about taking it on/off and it's my daily driver
  • limited options of what I could reasonably put on for a slide-in camper - I don't see many used Finch's for sale even though I know FWC would keep it's value well and I could sell down the road easily I'm sure.
  • I can still tow snowmobile, dirtbike, or whatever else
  • quick set up to camp anywhere anytime
  • I could add a heater down the road if I wanted
  • It doesn't rain much here in general so spring/summer/fall camping it should be fine anyway
  • seeing all the different build outs on here is motivating since each person's needs vary (overlanding, skiing, wheeling, surfing, whatever else)

I told a guy I would buy his Flippac off CL, but he decided to keep it. I don't think it was the AT version from reading his ad. I'll probably end up getting a Flippac and if it doesn't work out sell it. It will be painted that ugly gold color to match my truck though.

chet

island Explorer
I can't see how a flip open RTT would be any better than a flipac at storing it when wet. It still folds on itself and if you don't get it dry then everything inside will be wet as well.

The rain fly on the flippac is just like a good tent. Easily removable so the tent can be stored dry and the fly wet in abag. At least thats how the PNW rain country person sees it.

Bergger

Explorer
Never had mine in the snow yet but IMO you should be fine. In heavy rain that fly needs a good treatment with Nikwax to be effective. Be prepared to get wet when breaking camp, the fly is a handfull when wet.

Not being that familiar with Flippacs, are you saying the tent material has to be treated with Nikwax or the actual rain fly has to be treated? I would hope the rain fly would already be waterproof.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
The cost of a four wheel camper in a super short bed is what is driving me away from the product...I am hesisitant to spend 10,000+ for the small campers from FWC. I like the ability to be able to carry things on top of the FWC as opposed the the Flippac and both give the ability to tow a small boat/bikes/etc but if I am going to spend that kind of money I am buying a super cab f350 with the short bed and putting in a hawk...or a grandby for that matter...As I stated earlier it will most likely be the Flippac as I would like to get a few more years out of my Tacoma...although there is this really nice LC 100 right now in Phoenix...:smiley_drive:

cmgraves

Observer
My understanding is that the people over at AT are in the R&D for a material for the flip pac that is weather/rain/water proof, and is breathable. That way, the rain fly will not be needed. Might drop them a line and see if this is true, and if so, when they plan to have it completed. I have read that people with flip pacs keep the tent down in cold/snowy nights, and just sleep in the bed of the truck. The main reason, is the amount of volume of air and the surface area of fabric to lose the heat is to much to heat with any normal heater. In addition, keeps everything nice and dry inside. So that might be a viable option for you with the couple of times you do see bad weather.

Bergger

Explorer
I can't see how a flip open RTT would be any better than a flipac at storing it when wet. It still folds on itself and if you don't get it dry then everything inside will be wet as well.

The rain fly on the flippac is just like a good tent. Easily removable so the tent can be stored dry and the fly wet in abag. At least thats how the PNW rain country person sees it.

I've used Eezi Awn tents in down pours and snow and have never gotten wet. Have closed it up wet and bedding stayed dry. The fabric they use is awesome.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have never treated my Flip Pac rain fly with anything. It's never leaked a drop. When the rain fly is on your not going to get wet. Yes, folding up a wet flip and storing the rain fly is kind of a pain. Heavy wet snow should slide right off but don't know, maybe this Winter I 'll try that out.

Camper_Flip_pac_Storm_Cover_001.jpg

And from the inside with the rain fly. That's what is causing the blue hue
Camper_Flip_pac_inside_first009.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior