FlipPac screw repair question

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Flip Pac repair question. One of the "footman" loops that holds the support rod on the lid has a loose screw. yes I re-tightened it. I am concerned about water intrusion since this is on the top.

I assume the construction is fiberglass lamented over a thin piece of wood. (looks like a stainless wood screw)

How to fix?

Some kind of epoxy in the hole and then a slightly longer screw is my idea... any thoughts on what epoxy? Gorilla Glue?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You can epoxy the hole let it set up, drill it to the correct size and re-thread the screw in.

For a quick fix, put epoxy on a match or small piece of wood and push it into the hole. Cut off any excess wood and put the screw back in. I prefer the second method.

billy bee

Adventurer
I think you are on to appropriate repair methods. I would take those plastic fixtures off and add some silicone around the holes. Just a dab will do ya. Mine had some glue or paint that had gotten brittle. I cleaned that up and put it back together with new deck hinges like these available at West Marine (or from our friends at SLO Sail). The old ones were brittle from 13 years of exposure. The ones that FP uses are canted slightly. That makes the angle a little better, but isn't necessary.

397069.jpg

bb

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nothing much inside those lids as far as structure goes. Gel coat and fiberglass over a paper honeycomb. The biggest problem is that the paper is meant to absorb the resin during production, if it doesn't absorb the resin and water gets in the paper honeycomb dissolves.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks Martyn and bb - I am following Martyn's second idea but using a oak dowel because I liked the idea of a hard wood.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
A follow up question, I am planing to replace my bulb seal, how do you access the front? Is the inside pad on the joint removable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz