FlipPac Lid Repair 101 (or how to get in over your head in three easy steps...)

billy bee

Adventurer
Well, no need to keep it a secret. We are going to sandwich the damaged corner, putting plates on the lid that will bolt to the torsion bar arm. I'll get more pictures soon...

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
The project got sidelined for the time being. We have everything built and ready to go. Just have to put it all together again.

bb

wantapinz2

Observer
Flippac repair

I picked up a very used Flippac for free a few years ago, that had the usual lid failure. I was thinking to cut off most of the lower camper shell portion and putting on my M725 ambulance.

image.jpg
Although I changed my mind about using flippac I think it would be easier to build a new flippac top instead of repairing the old one. I was thinking to build a top out of 1/2" plywood and 1/2" x 1" tubing.

The ends of the torsion arms are 1"x1/2" so some thick wall rectangle tubing with the inner dimension of 1"x 1/2"x 80" can be drilled and bolted to the flippac torsion arms and then brazed around the tube ends to keep out moisture.
Then build the lid to the same dimension as the broken flippac lid using a sheet of 4x8x1/2" plywood and hardwood.
I wish I had made a CAD drawing to post,but will try to explain it.
So imagine two 80" tubes with a cross tube welded in between lm the middle. Like a giant letter "H" with the torsion arms sticking out. Build the plywood outer shell around the H frame and insert 1 inch insulation panels inside the H frame then sandwich it together with an inner sheet of 1/2" plywood. Then fiber glass or carbon fiber the outside and transfer over the hardware and new weather stripping and tent mounts.

BajaSurfRig

Billy Bee,

What did you end up doing with the roof of the flip pac. I just grabbed a pretty beat up one off of craigslist that looks very similar to how yours started out. Any pictures or advise would be very appreciated. I am planning on doing the torsion bar delete (mine is broken) and am considering glassing in a burly SS piano hinge and remove all of the old rusted stuff out of the roof with a dremel.

Acka

Billy Bee,

What did you end up doing with the roof of the flip pac. I just grabbed a pretty beat up one off of craigslist that looks very similar to how yours started out. Any pictures or advise would be very appreciated. I am planning on doing the torsion bar delete (mine is broken) and am considering glassing in a burly SS piano hinge and remove all of the old rusted stuff out of the roof with a dremel.

I'm also curious what happened with this. I'm in a similar boat to BajaSurfRig, having just bought a Flippac needing repair. Mine has a broken hinge like in post #13, but a good torsion bar. I'm going ahead with the torsion bar delete anyway - so I've got one if someone wants it. Mine will need some fiber glass repair in the corners of the lid like the one in this thread - and I need a new hinge made. If anyone has an intact upper hinge piece that we could get good dimensions from that would be great (or if a drawing is out there somewhere to have a new hinge made).

Appreciate the photos of the cut up flippac, that is very useful to see whats inside.

BajaSurfRig

Acka my hinges are currently out of my camper, I can make a half decent drawing if you'd like... Have you started on repairing your lid? I am slowly but surely making progress. If you have any photos or updates I would be stoked to compare notes!

dman93

Adventurer
I don't own a FlipPac anymore, but I acquired a pretty beat-up one a few years ago, with some rust and delamination around the hinge brackets, plus a broken torsion bar. I did the delete and it worked out OK. Remember that the torsion bar is neutral, i.e. Not twisted 90 degrees, only when the lid is halfway up. Otherwise the shell and hinge parts, as well as the torsion bar itself, are fully stressed. Once you delete the torsion bar, the load and stresses on the various parts become MUCH less. And they become essentially the same on both sides, rather than the torsion bar trying to twist the shell in opposite directions on the left and right side. Plus, the tent frame and fabric do a lot to hold up the lid ... without the torsion bar, my lid stayed pretty horizontal without engaging the hood struts (with only the mattress weight in the lid of course!). In conclusion, I think just a nominal effort to anchor the hinge bars in the shell and lid, perhaps with an external doubler, and a generous use of adhesive (epoxy with or without added glass) will be just fine. Equally, perhaps more important, insure the hinge bars are well sealed to prevent water ingress,and that the mating surfaces of lid and shell are straight and coplanar, to prevent leaks into the FlipPac interior and tent fabric when closed. Good luck!

BajaSurfRig

Thanks Dman. I can't seem to find what people have used in place of a torsion bar (I understand the lifting mechanism that people are using along with how they are support the lid when it is open)? Just throw bolts in each side where the torsion bar used to be? I am heading to an industrial hardware store after work today to pick up everything to do the torsion bar delete mod this weekend as I finally have the lid sleeved and re assembled. I am using all stainless steel hardware along with copper piping to sleeve it to minimize rusting and plan on sealing the hinge area very well. I will post some photos of what I did if anyone is interested.

lillustra

BILLY BEE
i know a long time has passed on this tread but i just purchased a used flippac and as i was cleaning it and taking care of the dirt and grime i noticed a small bump right where yours gave up. it looks like nothing now. just a slight curve on the fiberglass where the hinge press against the lid. i haven't use the flippac yet but after reading this post i am starting to be concerned i might have the same problem where the hinge is going to rip through the fiberglass. it is only on the passenger side. shall i be worried? is there any preventive work i should do to avoid a major failure like you experienced? any suggestions? txs

billy bee

Adventurer
They tend to develop that curve on the driver's side as there is constant torque on the arm inside the lid. The worst thing that usually happens is that side no longer seals well agains water intrusion along the seal between the lid and the shell. So, if you are seeing a gentle arc in the lid, that's pretty normal. A distinct bulge about 10 - 12 inches back from the hinge is more ominous.

Hop this helps,
bb

stc56

stc56
Hey Billy Bee,

I just took my flip-pac off and opened it up (it's been awhile b/c torsion bar was broken) and noticed cracking along the lid. It didn't look like much when closed but it's significant now that I pulled it open. The bolts are rusted on the inside where you broke yours off and I'm guessing the frame inside isn't looking so good either... Did your repair work out? I'd appreciate any advice and photos you have to share. Thanks!

Sean

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
I wish I had taken pictures of how the tent comes out. It is such a simple and easy process. Took 5 minutes and the tent was off.
I am thinking about removing my tent in order to spray it down with Sunbrella UV protectant/water repellent. If you remember how you got your tent off, could you describe the process? When I looked at mine, it seems like I would have to peel off glued pieces of the tent material at the corners, bend open the aluminum extruded channels that the tent is slid into, then slide out the tent in a weird way since the rear and sides are all slid into their respective extrusion pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94