FlipPac - I will miss having one! (info about them too)

I have been, and always will be a FlipPac enthusiast. Even though we have gone to the dark side (van life) I still very much admire the concept of the FlipPac. When FRP went bust I started snapping up any FlipPac I could find because I was in a transition of vehicles and did not know what truck I was getting next. I ended up with three FlipPac's. I just recently sold my last one. Regretted selling my full size 8 footer - to me that was the best configuration for a full build out.

At one point we considered grafting a FlipPac to our 4x4 Ford E-350 van instead of a pop-up. We also considered using a Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban and grafting a FlipPac onto it.

The last FlipPac I have is being picked up this weekend. Through default I have become a FlipPac expert (I helped with the design of Sway-A-Way's torsion bar and hinge kits). I have replace hinges, torsion bars and installed them on a few vehicles.

The reason for this post: If you have any questions concerning the FlipPac's hit me up, I will try to answer your questions, I still believe in this configuration and glad to help. :)

Attachments

• FlipPacVOF_x900.jpg
    FlipPacVOF_x900.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 66
  • FlipPacs01.jpg
    FlipPacs01.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 7Footer01.jpg
    7Footer01.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 7footerOnTruck.jpg
    7footerOnTruck.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 8footBed.jpg
    8footBed.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions2 copy.jpg
    Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions2 copy.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions1 copy.jpg
    Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions1 copy.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 71
  • FlipPacParts_All.JPG
    FlipPacParts_All.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • FlipPacMonoLake.jpg
    FlipPacMonoLake.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 56
  • WilderNestRails.jpg
    WilderNestRails.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Bean

I'm curious how to get just the plastic bushings. They don't tend to survive torsion bar replacements.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Any ideas on sourcing new tenting with a better fabric?

When FRP went out of business myself and others tried to find the source of the manufacturer... to no avail. There is THIS company might be able to make one using your old one as a pattern.

It was rumored that someone was trying to buy all the molds, parts etc... but that was 2+ years ago now. It would sure be nice to find the old owners or even a worker that was at FRP to find the source for some of these things.

Torsion bars and hinge kits are available through Sway-A-Way. (I helped them re-design the hinges to be way more beefy).

WOODY2

Adventurer
When FRP went out of business myself and others tried to find the source of the manufacturer... to no avail. There is THIS company might be able to make one using your old one as a pattern.

It was rumored that someone was trying to buy all the molds, parts etc... but that was 2+ years ago now. It would sure be nice to find the old owners or even a worker that was at FRP to find the source for some of these things.

Torsion bars and hinge kits are available through Sway-A-Way. (I helped them re-design the hinges to be way more beefy).
I thought some fellow in Colorado bought the whole thing. If one had the time to research the bankruptcy records it might show up? Would be nice to have a better fabric and not need the rainfly.

I thought some fellow in Colorado bought the whole thing. If one had the time to research the bankruptcy records it might show up? Would be nice to have a better fabric and not need the rainfly.

I did not hear about the Colorado connection, interesting.... I assumed it was someone near where FRP used to be (Riverside, CA.). At this point I would think if anyone had bought up everything there would have been some kind of info/announcement.

Yes finding a tent source would be great, that being said, I never waterproofed my tent and the canvas is backed with a coating.... we spent a few times in rain storms with no fly. IMO, an exterior waterproofing spray would probably get most people by on a,light rainy day. The rain fly is definitely needed in a "storm".

Jason'sLawnCare

Viva Baja
Here's there patent. Maybe one of the listed inventors could provide a lead on suppliers.

Attachments

• FlipPacPatent_US4176873.pdf
    545.9 KB · Views: 20

tbock7117

Any ideas on sourcing new tenting with a better fabric?

I spoke with that guys at Boulder Mountain Repair about making a new tent for mine.
I'd need to take the tent of mine so they could deconstruct it and make new patterns for sizes.
Sounded doable, but expensive, especially if you wanted to make patterns to have more made later. I think they said the first one would be around $50K.

I've always thought that if you could make one that's waterproof and has all the windows, owners would easily pay around $500+. Considering the fact that the rainfly is $400 alone, maybe even $750?

WOODY2

Adventurer
I spoke with that guys at Boulder Mountain Repair about making a new tent for mine.
I'd need to take the tent of mine so they could deconstruct it and make new patterns for sizes.
Sounded doable, but expensive, especially if you wanted to make patterns to have more made later. I think they said the first one would be around $50K.

I've always thought that if you could make one that's waterproof and has all the windows, owners would easily pay around $500+. Considering the fact that the rainfly is $400 alone, maybe even $750?
50K is insane any way you look at it. In other words they don't want to do it. Sounds as though the Building Dept. costs for a barn aren't the only overpriced things in Boulder.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I use a gentleman that works for the local school system repairing/replacing all their bus seats that I use for all my upholstery projects. He does all sorts of upholstery work for me on the side. Car seats, door panel repair and has completed some tent replacement stuff in the past. The key for him on some of my weird projects does not revolve around his ability to do the work it is not having the proper sewing machine to make the proper stitch or sew very heavy materials that is the limiting factor.

I suggest you look for help in a large metropolitan school system with a large bus fleet, boat shop or others to find someone that has the capability for doing heavy material sewing projects on the side rather than a full on commercial upholstery business.

Nian

Hey guys! I've got a 6' Flippac that was sadly gutted by a previous owner. In addition to the tent canvas I need to find a new tent frame as well. If there's a way to build a frame that would support a SLO canvas rain fly by itself I think that would work too.

Do any of you have advice on rebuilding the tent frame?

Thanks!
Dave

moto_mike

Hey guys! I've got a 6' Flippac that was sadly gutted by a previous owner. In addition to the tent canvas I need to find a new tent frame as well. If there's a way to build a frame that would support a SLO canvas rain fly by itself I think that would work too.

Do any of you have advice on rebuilding the tent frame?

Thanks!
Dave

any chance you've got pics? i'm curious as to what the interior structure is of the shell...thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles