Flippac build-out

Rsharries

One of the first things we noticed camping was that the lighting could could use some work. The stock lights are fairly bright, but they draw about 1.7A. I orded sets of panels with 48x3528 size LEDs in both white and red. These were $8.99 per set of 2 from Amazon. I took down the lights and set to work modifying them.

View attachment 251633

The stock lights are attached with 4 screws and use wire nuts. Be careful not to strip out the holes in the plywood plate they mount to.

[View attachment 251635

Start by cutting the wires off the light bulb holder and removing it with a Dremel tool.

View attachment 251634

Attach your LED panels with the included tape. You can fit two of the 48-LED assemblies in one fixture. I went for white LED and red LED and installed a switch. Get the "warm white" type as the light feels much nicer. You can drill two 1/8" holes in the plastic to thread the wires through to the back.

If you go for the red light mod, drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom and install a SPDT (single pole, double throw) toggle switch. Wire the positive wire from the light fixture to the middle terminal and wire the + from each lamp to the others. Seal it with some 1/8" heatshrink and dress it up.

View attachment 251630

As you can see, each panel only draws about 160ma. The red and the white are about the same.
View attachment 251632

And here it is installed. The one on the left is the white LED (not warm, oops!) and the one on the right is the stock light bulb.

View attachment 251631

Arclight
Arclight, I am finally getting aroud to swapping out my stock Flippac lights, and am trying to duplicate your modification, but i CANNOT locate red LED panels. any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles