Flexible solar panels 150W+.....

moose545

Shopping around and curious what folks experiences have been between Renogy or LenSun? Their panels are pretty comparable for the money, before getting into the next stage with a product like SunFlare. The next level panels I'll call them, have the bypass diodes and are much more efficient, and twice the price easily. Looking to run at least a 150w flexible panel up top the RTT with an adhesive mounting using VHB. I'm trying to decide just get the LenSun 150w panel and call it a day, or keep saving and go full send with the Sunflare 180w panel, or even the 125w version. I think I'd still get more efficiency and power out of the 125w Sunflare than I would the others w/o bypass diodes; commentary? :)

roving1

Shopping around and curious what folks experiences have been between Renogy or LenSun? Their panels are pretty comparable for the money, before getting into the next stage with a product like SunFlare. The next level panels I'll call them, have the bypass diodes and are much more efficient, and twice the price easily. Looking to run at least a 150w flexible panel up top the RTT with an adhesive mounting using VHB. I'm trying to decide just get the LenSun 150w panel and call it a day, or keep saving and go full send with the Sunflare 180w panel, or even the 125w version. I think I'd still get more efficiency and power out of the 125w Sunflare than I would the others w/o bypass diodes; commentary? :)

I have 2 lensun 80 watt panels I plan to VHB tape to my hood. 80 watt because 2 fit better on my hood than the 150 watt size does and I can run them in series.

Ordered but delayed shipping untill next week sometime so can't really say anything about them.

What are you using as a charge controller?

moose545

Haha sweet! I'm setup with the REDARC BCDC1225 and the Victron BMV712, just need to pick a panel and wire it in...

Boatbuilder79

I bought a lensunsolar panel and it did not even last 1 year. I tried to get them to warranty it and I got 1 email back asking for pictures of it installed and some more information. I sent what they asked for and followed up several times and never got another response from them. This was in April of 2020 but they could have at least replied to my email.

I would not recommend them.

The no name panels I replaced it with work better and cost 1/2 as much.

roving1

That's a bummer to hear. I went with them after about a half dozen success stories running around on the hoods of vehicles in high heat environments like AZ and NV for 2-2 years. We'll see I guess.

They answered a few of my emails back about a question and then an order change after they were out of something. Which is more than I can say about Iceco and their coolers at the moment.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I am installing them as I type, taking a dinner break. 160W semi flexible. Not the super bendy Renology ones, but not paying there price either. So stay tuned, the glue is setting up.

I am gluing them to a flat sheet of aluminum to get around the ribs on the roof.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Waste of money. They’re awesome for a year, maybe. My renogy flexible panels performed great for almost two years. They cupped and broke circuits and failed. Sounds great on paper but they don’t hold up long term.

roving1

I bought a lensunsolar panel and it did not even last 1 year. I tried to get them to warranty it and I got 1 email back asking for pictures of it installed and some more information. I sent what they asked for and followed up several times and never got another response from them. This was in April of 2020 but they could have at least replied to my email.

I would not recommend them.

The no name panels I replaced it with work better and cost 1/2 as much.

Forgot to ask, was it an ETFE panel?

Boatbuilder79

Forgot to ask, was it an ETFE panel?

yes. It is areally nice looking panel I just wish it would work. I did dig up and send a follow up to my last email to them when I saw this thread and they finally responded so hopefully they will make things right.

moose545

So I ended up going with a 180W panel from Merlin Solar, all said about $660 with cables and all for installation. It's adhesive, rugged tested to MilSpecs, and their customer service is great. I spoke directly to the president of Solar Advantage, Brian Hills, who answered all my questions on specs and little details in about 30 emails back and forth. I went with Merlin for a few reasons: Warranty, quality (IP rating of 68), and options on the panel sizes; I went with the TBS180R (62x27) to run lengthwise down the passenger side of my Alpha RTT, versus the TBS180S (42x39) or the TBS180L (118x15). The panel comes adhesive backed, VNH along the edges, and ready for installation on arrival minus prepping the surface etc. and has a 5yr warranty, and projected 90% output for 25yrs. I'm excited to get the panel installed and start feeding power back into my second battery constantly.

I opted out from SunFlare based on price and the IPx rating. Solbian and Gioco are legit, but expensive or unavailable. Will report back once I have it installed.

deuceb

So I ended up going with a 180W panel from Merlin Solar, all said about $660 with cables and all for installation. It's adhesive, rugged tested to MilSpecs, and their customer service is great. I spoke directly to the president of Solar Advantage, Brian Hills, who answered all my questions on specs and little details in about 30 emails back and forth. I went with Merlin for a few reasons: Warranty, quality (IP rating of 68), and options on the panel sizes; I went with the TBS180R (62x27) to run lengthwise down the passenger side of my Alpha RTT, versus the TBS180S (42x39) or the TBS180L (118x15). The panel comes adhesive backed, VNH along the edges, and ready for installation on arrival minus prepping the surface etc. and has a 5yr warranty, and projected 90% output for 25yrs. I'm excited to get the panel installed and start feeding power back into my second battery constantly.

I opted out from SunFlare based on price and the IPx rating. Solbian and Gioco are legit, but expensive or unavailable. Will report back once I have it installed.
I'm starting to look into these type of panels too. How are you liking your Merlin panel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior