Flew to Idaho to buy 3500 Ram at Dennis Dillon Ram

mtnjp

Observer
I thought I'd share my experience for those of you considering buying a new diesel from Idaho.

Why did we buy it: We are doing a camper build up for retirement and wanted a Ram. We got a 3500 long bed SRW 4x4, 6.7 Cummins G56. Its a Tradesman package with cloth seats and floors, 5th wheel prep, winter package, skid plates, U Connect 5.0 with Bluetooth. Considered a 2500 but thats a no go with the new coils. MSRP was 54K got it for 42.6K, great deal

Experience with the dealer: Excellent, the price was as listed. We flew to Boise and the dealer pick us up at 1200 we were done and on the road home at 245. To get the best deal we had to fiancé through them and make at least 6 payments before the refi. The rates aren't that good and we have tier 1 credit, worth saving a extra thousand dollars though.

Getting it registered in Ca: We had to weigh it, smog it, and go to the DMV. The dealer overnights all the documents to the DMV office of your choice. It went good but typical Ca DMV crappy attitudes. You pay CA tax to the dealer and they send the dmv the check.

Overall very pleased with the truck and Dennis Dillon, would highly recommend it.

IMG_3973.jpg

Superduty

Adventurer
Was buying it in Idaho strictly for saving money or was it because they happened to have the truck you wanted? If saving money, how much did you actually save after airfare and return trip fuel (granted you get a little vacation out of it and a nice drive).

mtnjp

Observer
A little of both. I wanted the stick which I couldn't find in Ca, and no one came within 7k of that price. The plane ticket was $139 the motel $120 and gas about $150, 36 hours of time. Well worth it for me.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Sweet :Wow1:looking truck. I look forward to seeing that rig with a camper on the back and you out enjoying it in the bush. Cheers, Chilli..:)

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
We did the same just a year ago to pick up a 2500 and had the same good experience and savings. Enjoy the new truck.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't forget the 1.5% base sales tax rate difference. And more like a 3% difference, in the L.A. County region. That's probably a $1000 difference in sales tax alone. Well played.

btw, AAA ought to be able to handle the vehicle registration stuff on a new vehicle, even one imported into the state. I got in and out on a registration renewl the other day in <10mins in L.A., beats the hell out of my regional DMV.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Beautiful truck, and a smoking good deal! :beer:
So now that you've had a good 18 hours behind the wheel, have you formulated a build plan?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A little of both. I wanted the stick which I couldn't find in Ca, and no one came within 7k of that price. The plane ticket was $139 the motel $120 and gas about $150, 36 hours of time. Well worth it for me.

Same here. I couldn't find a manual in California. I special ordered through Dave Smith. It took 29 days from order,assembly in Saltillo,Mx to Dave Smith in Idaho. Due to a very harsh winter myself and a guy from Oceanside opted to have the trucks transported here. Dillon made me a great price on an '05 the year before but something came up and I was unable to complete the purchase. I'd use either company in the future.
The initial DMV was the same as yours although the lady clerk said she sees Dave Smith initial registrations come through all the time. My MSRP was just shy of $40K and I got it for $31,700.
I use AAA every year for renewal.
Enjoy the new truck.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I bought my 2012 Power Wagon from Dennis Dillon and it was the first time buying a vehicle without the normal stress and bs you normally get. I live about 600 miles away so I drove my trade down on Saturday and came home Sunday. I saved $3,000 over the local guy and about $2,000 over Dave Smith Motors. I can't speak highly enough about Dennis Dillon Dodge.

rayra

Expedition Leader
So I'm gathering this dealer is the 'Bud's Guns' of the Dodge truck world? Making good deals and a thriving business on low margin high volume sales? I'll have to tell my friend in Vegas about them, he's been driving Dodge trucks for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94