Fleetwood Neon Question

kbahus

Adventurer
I just picked up a Fleetwood Neon to tow behind the Cruiser and have a question about deploying it. When lifting the roof does it lock in the open position to stabilize it? I crank it up till it doesn't seem to crank any higher but it does not lock up and is fairly unstable side to side. This is my first pop trailer and I am not sure if this is how they are supposed to be or am I missing something? It didn't come with a user manual for reference and my internet searches came up empty. Cheers!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Sounds about right. There is no "positive" lock really. Up till it is tight and quit. They can sway side to side if pushed. Nothing to worry about. With the end deployed and shepherds pole in and door in place it stabilizes a little more.

Mine is an E1, so I am just trying to relate it to your, even though you are missing half of mine :)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have had mine up and slept in very windy conditions. Sure there is some movement, but nothing requiring me to tie it down. I have never seen a need to tether it. Are you sure you will need to plan for that? How windy a camping spot do you have?

kbahus

Adventurer
Wyoming....

I didn't think about it but the awnings should help stabilize it when setup too. Glad to hear it does have some movement though as I was concerned something was wrong. I have a lot to learn with this little guy, it's a whole new world to me. Need to figure out the lp gas setup and getting the furnace to work, wire the truck for trailer lights, figure out how to set up the spare room, and find some bigger tires to gain a little ride height.

Almost forgot, does anyone know what the key code is for their Neon? I have read that they are all the same key but not sure what key that is as I found a few different ones on ebay.

kbahus

Adventurer
We are getting ready to embark on a 4 night trip down to Santa Fe with the new camper, I still have not had much time to play with it but I was able to get the heater fired up today despite the snowy weather. How long can I expect the group 27 deep cycle to keep the heater going?

wmshay6

I have the Neon's Older sibling- the Graphite

But they have the same lift mechanism. When you crank it up do you hear a distinct clicking sound? That's the pawl in the ratchet in the gear box and is your locking mechanism. If you don't hear the clicking, there is something wrong with your lift mechanism. Feel free to PM me- there is a link to the lift system manual at PopUpPortal site. I recently rebuilt my lift mechanism due to a bead thrust bearing- they are pretty simple to work on. But the clicking of the pawl inside the lift box is the key to listen for.

pokealong

Wyoming....

I didn't think about it but the awnings should help stabilize it when setup too. Glad to hear it does have some movement though as I was concerned something was wrong. I have a lot to learn with this little guy, it's a whole new world to me. Need to figure out the lp gas setup and getting the furnace to work, wire the truck for trailer lights, figure out how to set up the spare room, and find some bigger tires to gain a little ride height.

Almost forgot, does anyone know what the key code is for their Neon? I have read that they are all the same key but not sure what key that is as I found a few different ones on ebay.
I was camped out in Wyoming on a BLM project and had taken a drive after work. Apparently, there was some crazy wind storm and everyone's awnings, tarps, etc went down except for my Neon's! I have had great luck with it in the wind...well, except in Nebraska last summer, the wind actually caused the stake to come loose and it damaged the end of the post. I repaired it using some parts from ACE Hardware.

Now when it is windy, I put up two ropes on each post at 45degrees. It is amazing.

As for putting it up, never tighten the awnings until the trailer is totally up, with door and jacks in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles