Fleetwood Neon Cheap modifications and tricks (expensive mods too)

pokealong

I am switching to an 11# propane tank which i will mount next to the battery. They will both be at the front of the tongue, each needing a little extra something welded to the tongue to keep them in place.

The tire, for now, will go in the car. Not planning on using it anyway, right?

As for the box, I found a pretty lightweight one on Amazon and rather than having something slide out of the box, I'm looking to have the entire box on an overextended slide. My kitchen stuff is pretty light. I'm thinking that overall, it won't be more than the tire and larger tank that I'm getting ride of.

NevetsG

Well, when my trailer is packed up, the bed is pulled out like shown in the directions. This puts the leg in the way for putting in a storage box. Maybe you put the couch back somewhere else when you pack up?

I don't have the directions, I leave the couch in couch mode, and stow the backrest in the space between the cabinets on the opposite side floor. They stack perfectly there and help keep those doors closed, plus there is a little space on top for a folding chair or 2. I think I could also put them on top of the boxes if I wanted to.

Reactions: NPD

NevetsG

Ah. I just roll the tent poles up in the canopy. That's the way it came. You do have to be careful unrolling the canopy though. :)

I'm using a few rain fly(s) for more canopy coverage on both sides of the camper, or attached to my truck or Jeep. I only used 2 rain fly(s) in this picture, and I didn't need the extra poles33580882_10204747869854706_2692583678684430336_o.jpg

NevetsG

CHEAP TIRES AND WHEELS??? What are you guys using that didn't break the bank? Yes I want to swap out to a 15" wheel, and I would like a dual purpose tire, but I do not want to spend $750 on tires (including the spare) for a 1000 lb trailer. It is just overkill, because I do not plan on rock climbing with a trailer. I've considered regular 15" trailer tires, but I would like something with a bit more tread on them.

Steven.gresham

CHEAP TIRES AND WHEELS??? What are you guys using that didn't break the bank? Yes I want to swap out to a 15" wheel, and I would like a dual purpose tire, but I do not want to spend $750 on tires (including the spare) for a 1000 lb trailer. It is just overkill, because I do not plan on rock climbing with a trailer. I've considered regular 15" trailer tires, but I would like something with a bit more tread on them.

I’m running Hankook Dynapro’s. For reference Discount has the 15 for $117 a tire. I have about 1500 miles on them and have been pleased. Since it’s a trailer I didn’t see the point in investing the cost I would for tires on the truck. If you’re storing outside spend some of the saved money on RV wheel covers and protect them for the UV rays.

NevetsG

I’m running Hankook Dynapro’s. For reference Discount has the 15 for $117 a tire. I have about 1500 miles on them and have been pleased. Since it’s a trailer I didn’t see the point in investing the cost I would for tires on the truck. If you’re storing outside spend some of the saved money on RV wheel covers and protect them for the UV rays.

Rims? Did you use standard trailer wheels or do you have wider wheels?

NevetsG

I’ve got wider rims in a larger size. Running just a basic black steel wheel. But even with that the cost creeps up there fast when replacing 3 wheels and tires.

Figured that, and after doing a ton of searches, I was seeing to much cost creep. So I finally decided to post up the question and see if one of you folks found something I missed.

pokealong

I assembled a few parts and made a power lift for the pop up. I purposely got a cheap drill from Harbor Freight, and it struggles a little bit, but it gets the job done with some help.

The key component to make this work is a torque multiplier, otherwise the cordless drill doesn't have enough power to lift the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CLWVX1O

I used a grinder to cut slits into a 5/8" deep socket, a 1/2" extension bar, 1/2" hex drill socket driver (https://www.harborfreight.com/hex-drill-socket-driver-set-3-pc-68513.html).

The T handle and an extension with a rotation handle I made in case the drill dies while out on the trail.
I bought a Socket Jenie from RV Upgrades...they had me fill out a form for the fabricator (see pic for info) and sent me exactly what I needed. I think it was around $25, but can't remember for sure. Best thing I ever bought. Plus, it gave me an excuse to get a new cordless drill. :giggle: Since then, I've taken my Dewalt, two batteries and charger. But, I've never even used a single full battery on a trip. Note that I always run it on low speed and use the crank for the very last bit...I really don't want to damage the lift system.

Can you tell that I *really* don't want to crank up the trailer?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 8.38.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 8.38.50 AM.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 14

NevetsG

Gas tank mounting, I used some left over bolts from my crutches and a leftover piece 3/8" threaded rod to bend and mount an 11# gas bottle. Used the existing holes on the tank and drilled 3 new ones on the batter bars, I can add a second tank if needed. Then caped it with a clear left over gelato container, the plastic is pretty tough, and if it fails, I'm good with getting another container of gelato to empty for it.

NevetsG

NEW BIG WHEELS and tires for less than $200 for all 3!!! I just ran with 15" trailer wheels and tires, but found one with a little bit more tread to give it better off road traction. I had to raise the fenders, and that meant cutting the metal brace tabs on the frame. Since I don't plan on standing on them that is fine, but I had a problem on the drivers side. The fender acted as a stabilizer for the metal sheet and without the tab the fender would flex the side wall - a lot. So I just ran a 3/4" aluminum "C" channel down the length of the trailer, and it reduced the flex by 75%. I also move the side level bubble closer to where I would actually be jacking the trailer on the drivers side.

NevetsG

External storage for wheel chocks and leveling pads. I used a bicycle saddle basket and mounted it to the top of my ammo can storage, then used and old cargo net mounted on the spare tire for the wheel chocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles