Fleetwood Neon Cheap modifications and tricks (expensive mods too)

NevetsG

I'm starting the thread to combine the ones I found and to start tracking the ones I'm about to do.

NevetsG

New to the forum and this is my first post, so here goes.

Would love to do what MountainD has done, but I don't have a welder. Hopefully I can get one, and learn to weld, then my project list will get even more out of control.

Got lucky and picked up a Neon just a couple weeks ago, and the only thing optional was the addition of 120v service. I was about to build a tear drop, but this one popped up, it is exactly what I want, so I jumped on it. It was the first micro pop-up to go up for sale locally since I started looking almost 2 years ago, and it was only post for 1 day before I got it. First set of modifications is to get it ready for mild off road use/boondocking, and I have very little time (have a get together at the end of the month with some friends). Found out after I was about to mount the tongue box that it must have been jack-knifed, since the tongue isn't centered (slightly bent), and the jack wasn't straight, but I only paid $2k for it, so I can live with it. It tracked fine on a 30 mile trip. I tried to pull it back using my winch and a tree, and I was able to get it a little bit better. I can live with it.

Changing the wheels and lifting it are going to have to wait this year, but we will see, things might change. Intent is to match the wheels on the Jeep (same bolt pattern and size), so I only have to carry the one spare on the truck.

Added a cheap van roof rack from Northern tool (only going to use it for light duty).
Added tongue box and relocated the battery box. Need the storage so the battery can stay out for now.
Got 100W solar panel system from Harbor Freight and will roof mount it next. If I'm happy, I will add another 100 watts.
Going to wire up the interior with multiple 12V and USB outlets.
Going to add a 120V-12V (20W) power supply with a on-off-on switch in line with the panels.
Going to make an awning out of a rain fly, to match the one I made for my Jeep. Then I will have a 10x16 + the 6x6 on the camper, and a 20x10 area mounted to the Jeep. So lots of covered area, I hope.
Going to make a light bar system using metal conduit (to house all the wires for the solar too) and mount small LED rock lights to light up the area around the camper (my night vision isn't getting better). I posted a couple pictures of the ones I mounted on my Jeep.
Need to wire up the Jeep.
Need to replace two stabilizer jacks.

All before the end of this month (1 day a week so I might not get it all done).

After the shake down these mods will be done, bit by bit.

"Saddle bag" boxes behind the rear wheels using large outdoor electrical panel boxes for more storage.
Build and mount a camp kitchen table mounted on the side (this might not happen if I find it is too high after doing the wheel tire lift).
Build and mount water storage using a 6" or 8" PVC pipe I can then pressurize with an small air pump (still working the design). If I paint it black it will become solar hot water.

As I do the different modificaitons I will document it the best I can.

Attachments

• 20180508_181104.jpg
    20180508_181104.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 20180508_181114.jpg
    20180508_181114.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20180508_181145.jpg
    20180508_181145.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20180325_192224.jpg
    20180325_192224.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20180325_200605.jpg
    20180325_200605.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 185

NevetsG

Let's start with a major modification, or, as some would put it, a heavy duty trailer done for torture.

Fleetwood Neon Modified for off road
posted by
MountainD

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/fleetwood-neon-modified-for-off-road.133010/

A non- frame work-up, with some really good stuff.
post by
BADDANDY

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/andys-fleetwood-neon-project.143249/

LOL - I missed this very old thread, otherwise I would have posted in it. DOH!!

Fleetwood Neon Modifications
post by
Northern Explorer

MountainD

Adventurer
congrats! I love mine and I think you will love yours too. Let me know if you are looking for the stabilizers--I am sure I can dig mine up as I am 99% sure I saved them. Don't hesitate to reach out with questions...

NevetsG

congrats! I love mine and I think you will love yours too. Let me know if you are looking for the stabilizers--I am sure I can dig mine up as I am 99% sure I saved them. Don't hesitate to reach out with questions...

LOL, 2 stabilizers should be sitting on my front porch when I get home tonight. THANKS for the offer! Haven't camped in it yet, and I hope to do so at the end of the month.

MountainD

Adventurer
Glad you are set. On the end of the bed, you will notice a black tab in the middle that hands down, about 3" wide, drops down 4" long. This cuts off the electricity to the overhead lights (it presses in a switch on the bulkhead below the bed in the middle when the bed is extended). If it bends a little, your lights won't work, FYI.

Speaking of the lights, I retrofitted my lights by cutting the wire and splicing in these LED's: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Warm-...m+White+48+LED+Panel+3528+SMD+Dome+Light+Lamp I used high temp RTV to "glue" them in place but now they come with bulb adapters.... I love them:

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
Great purchase! I picked up my Fleetwood Neon a couple of years ago from a friend who was upgrading to a larger camper. I traded him a Surly Pugsley and about $400 cash for the camper = $1000. It is in excellent condition and I have already used it several times. It pulls so easy behind my TRD Pro 4Runner.

I will try to get some pics up asap.

I usually use a Tepui RTT and a CVT awning with a full room for motorcycle rallyes, but the camper allows me to set up a basecamp and use the truck. My Neon has a motorcycle rack on the front so I can take one of my little bikes to ride.

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
A few weeks ago at the NSBMW Rallye in northern Pennsylvania. I had a great nights sleep in the Neon. It is so nice to have a dry place to hang out in the rain.
2018052910515281-IMG_0761-X4.jpg2018052910515281-IMG_0757-X4.jpg

How my rig looks on the move.
Tepui RTT
CVT awning
Kendon trailer
BMW HP2E
FullSizeRender-2996x1420.jpg

My set up "glamping" at the Touratech Rallye East in central Pennsylvania.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
I will be honest that I have never seen another Fleetwood Neon in person so it is so useful to see what you guys/girls are doing with yours. I wrestled with the idea of redoing the springs and axle to allow for larger tires, but after thinking about it and pricing it out, I realized that I would not be using this to get into remote places. That is what I have my rooftop tent and awning for - or my motorcycle. Keeping it stock and simple was the way to go for me. I largely use it as a basecamp for riding or exploring.

Sno Dawg

NevetsG

Glad you are set. On the end of the bed, you will notice a black tab in the middle that hands down, about 3" wide, drops down 4" long. This cuts off the electricity to the overhead lights (it presses in a switch on the bulkhead below the bed in the middle when the bed is extended). If it bends a little, your lights won't work, FYI.

Speaking of the lights, I retrofitted my lights by cutting the wire and splicing in these LED's: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Warm-...m+White+48+LED+Panel+3528+SMD+Dome+Light+Lamp I used high temp RTV to "glue" them in place but now they come with bulb adapters.... I love them:

I had to add a bypass wire to the switch in order to get the solar charger to work (keeping the battery charged) using the existing wiring while it is closed and not being used. I need to remember to post what I've done so far, got a good chunk of the checklist done.

Last edited:

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
any more news on your Fleetwood?

Mine was parked all summer because of the crappy weather and a long trip to Italy.

Sno Dawg

Steven.gresham

Great post. I bought a Neon from another board member this time last year and it’s been perfect for my family of three. Have any of you found a touchup paint that some what matches the aluminum?

NevetsG

I need to take some pics to show the ammo can saddle bags I mounted, as well as, some of the other things I completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior