Flatbed FWC on an AT modified RAM

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Was wondering the same thing, and hope all my efforts and photos from years past are not gone too...

If you used PhotoBucket there's a good chance files are inaccessible unless you pay for their premium service or some such BS. I have heard bad things about PB of late. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Unfortunately the pics were all on Photobucket. We're up in Alaska now. I'll deal with getting them rehosted and linked when we get back in Oct. I'm posting in the In Progress Adventures section in the ROF's Canada and Alaska 2017 thread if you want to see scattered photos of the truck.
6e6680ff6786a040eee4254700436042.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I was about to ask questions about your mpg, gearing and tire size, but I realize you've answered all 3 in previous posts.
14 mpg. stock 3.43 gearing. 37" tires.

I'm surprised to hear that you haven't had any issues with the stock gearing. I'm guessing that has something to do with the manual having different gear ratios from those of the auto?

How have the emissions systems been doing?

Great build! I'm sub'd and looking forward to future trip reports and build updates.

Edit - And one other question I forgot to ask: How are your factory tow hooks mounted with that ARB bumper? As I understand it, in stock configuration those tow hooks mount to a frame bracket, not directly to the frame itself. I'd seen a few owners complain about issues with the brackets twisting or the hooks actually breaking. I just wanted to hear any feedback you might have on how well secured they are with the ARB setup and if they hold up during recovery.

1rst gear on the manual is about half that of the auto. Gearing isn't a problem at all. 6000 miles in on the current trip and getting 14.5 mpg with the trailer in tow. No issues with emissions system. Just had fuel filters changed today at 22,000 miles as requested by the EVIC system. Max interval is 24,000 miles.
The tow hooks look solid. They bolt through the bumper at the frame locations. Seems like the bumper will distribute any side pull across both frame members. I haven't pulled on mine hard enough to challenge them.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
If you used PhotoBucket there's a good chance files are inaccessible unless you pay for their premium service or some such BS. I have heard bad things about PB of late. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all of my images shared here were with PhotoBucket, but I'm guessing that over the years I've posted dozens if not hundreds of photos in threads, many in the vehicle mods/tire threads. What once was free is no longer.

I logged-in to PhotoBucket and clicked on the unlimited 3rd party sharing button... $400. No thanks. They can keep their bucket of...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
1rst gear on the manual is about half that of the auto. Gearing isn't a problem at all. 6000 miles in on the current trip and getting 14.5 mpg with the trailer in tow. No issues with emissions system. Just had fuel filters changed today at 22,000 miles as requested by the EVIC system. Max interval is 24,000 miles.
The tow hooks look solid. They bolt through the bumper at the frame locations. Seems like the bumper will distribute any side pull across both frame members. I haven't pulled on mine hard enough to challenge them.

Do you start in first all the time, then to 2nd?

Ever use 2nd to launch?

I've run 35s with the stock Ram 3.42:1 and think it's on the upper limit for starting in second, on level ground, still with limited slipping of the clutch.

Would like to try 37s but I’d expect to want, if not need, lower gears. I tend to like lower-geared vehicles overall, run at GVWR+, towing, etc. That said the latest SRW Rams with (only 3.42:1) gears work impressively well, but launch slippage (in 2nd) and clutch longevity would be some of my concerns.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Do you start in first all the time, then to 2nd?

Ever use 2nd to launch?

I've run 35s with the stock Ram 3.42:1 and think it's on the upper limit for starting in second, on level ground, still with limited slipping of the clutch.

Would like to try 37s but I’d expect to want, if not need, lower gears. I tend to like lower-geared vehicles overall, run at GVWR+, towing, etc. That said the latest SRW Rams with (only 3.42:1) gears work impressively well, but launch slippage (in 2nd) and clutch longevity would be some of my concerns.
Always launch in first unless it's down hill or I'm rolling forward slightly.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Always launch in first unless it's down hill or I'm rolling forward slightly.

I like 2nd on level ground, using 1st for big loads and/or inclines. Works well like that up to 35", but guessing that with 37" tires 2nd would be too tall with 3.42:1.

brokenhorn

I am looking at the AEV lift and 37" tires too for my 14 ram 3500. My biggest concern was tire wear under such a big truck. How are those BFGs holding up?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Over 30,000 miles now. No problems with the tires. I've rotated them at 10,000 mile intervals, with the spare in the rotation.West 18 099.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Getting good wear when rotating only every 10,000 miles is great! Outfit looks fantastic.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Getting good wear when rotating only every 10,000 miles is great! Outfit looks fantastic.

Thanks,

I put a depth guage on them this morning. All are just a little over 5/16" tread depth at the center with a little more wear toward the shoulders. Online specs say the tread depth was 15/32" when new, but I didn't measure it.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks,

I put a depth guage on them this morning. All are just a little over 5/16" tread depth at the center with a little more wear toward the shoulders. Online specs say the tread depth was 15/32" when new, but I didn't measure it.

5/32" is thin and time for replacement in my book.

Tires must be BFG AT, as they 'only' start with 15/32"

PV Hiker

Observer
Not reducing the fraction 5/16" would be 10/32". Wearing off 5/32" for 30,000 miles sounds good. After the 5th tire goes through the rotation you can subtract 10,000 miles traveled that each tire has missed being on the ground.

BTW I like your set up and sorry I missed your previous postings with the images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles