Flatbed FWC on an AT modified RAM

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Have you had this unit on CAT scales? Thinking about overall weight, 2500 versus the 3500 capacities. Certainly looking good.

Haven't been on the scales yet. It's on the list of things to do.

Here are some more photos of some of the details that went into the truck.

Fuel filler was mounted high behind the rub rails in between the stake pockets. A hinged panel of the rail allows access and keeps it out of harms way

Door Open
Rub%20Rail%20Door%20Open.jpg

And Door Shut

Rub%20Rail%20Door%20Shut.jpg

I had an adjustable height Lock N Roll hitch. This truck required a longer shaft of 2.5" tubing to get the business end out from under the bumper.
Extended%20Lock%20N%20Roll%20Hitch.jpg

The air compressor and receiver tank are mounted on an aluminum pan up under the flatbed.
Compressor%20Mount.jpg

Front and rear air chucks provide access to air for filling tires. A rubber leg cap from Home Depot keeps the crud out of it. 7/8" seems to fit on nice and tight.
Air%20chuck%20Front.jpg

The front license plate (required in TX) clips to the winch roller fairlead. Front facing camera is visible in the upper right corner of the photo.
Camera%20Mount.jpg

The high lift jack is mounted in a section of tube steel up under the body on the drivers side. A bolt is inserted through the jack beam and the tube steel to secure it in place. I have a similar tray to mount on the passenger side that will hold a pull pal.
High%20LIft%20Jack%20Mount.jpg

The swing out Aluminess Box holds a cook partner stove, (borrowed from the Horizon Trailer) and the brackets required to mount it and a cooking shelf. The bracket pieces are all aluminum. The shelf is a piece of wood for the moment but will probably be replaced with a plastic cutting board. The grey box on the ground holds the folded GlowSteps and rides just inside the camper door on a rubber door mat.
Outside%20Stove%20Deployed.jpg

Stove%20Close%20Up.jpg

The shelf brackets are made to just clip up under the rub rail and gravity holds them in place.
Shelf%20Bracket%20Loose.jpg
Shelf%20Bracked%20Installed.jpg
Shelf%20Installed.jpg

That's it for now. Still need to work on my gray water system and getting the pull pal tray mounted.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
And some driving shots on the Biltmore grounds while attending OVX East. Pretty happy there wasn't a lot of frame twist in cross axle situations and the tires don't bind up in the wheel wells. On the Land Rover course there was enough twist in the trail to lift a wheel coming through their cross axle section.

Just a small bridge out on the grounds.
Bitlmore%20Bridge.jpg

Start of the Land Rover Course

Driving%20Course%20Start.jpg

Hill Climb

Hill%20Climb.jpg

Running down the trail

Heading%20down%20the%20trail.jpg

Trail%20Runner.jpg

Trail%20Corner.jpg

And working the obstacle in the cross axle course.

Cross%20Axle.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Super cool setup :ylsmoke:

And definitely an interesting way to treat the rub-rail/fuel filler.

I certainly wouldn't want to loose that key, or find the latch froze up in the winter though :)

XJINTX

Explorer
Bill, you know I love your setup! Wish you could make Big Bend with us :(We need to hit the East TX forests to catch up!

idahostat

Thanks for the CAT scale response. Front camera is using a line splitter to 8.4 "InfoTainment" center or a separate video for continues monitoring? Software and cable splitter ( Swedish ) and Echo link a domestic USA offering. Or DIY?

I have seen several options for this ( currently using a Garmin Nuvi with two ( one front, one rear ) cameras for slow maneuvering ).

grogie

Like to Camp
I was in the audience for your vehicle review at Expo East and what an awesome you have! I too have Jeep, and eventually hope to go the same route as you and tow my Jeep. I even stopped by the local Ram dealer last week. :)

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Thanks for the CAT scale response. Front camera is using a line splitter to 8.4 "InfoTainment" center or a separate video for continues monitoring? Software and cable splitter ( Swedish ) and Echo link a domestic USA offering. Or DIY?

I have seen several options for this ( currently using a Garmin Nuvi with two ( one front, one rear ) cameras for slow maneuvering ).

My cameras are hooked up using a Coastal Tech Lockpick that plugs into the Uconnect Radio/Nav Screen. It has the capability for up to 5 cameras. I have 3 Aux. cameras added plus the stock back up camera mounted in the bumper. Power feeds to the cameras are via the auxiliary switches located below the screen, ( I ordered them as an option on my truck) . The switches power up the cameras and the powered camera displays. The stock back up camera comes on when you put the truck in reverse. The other cameras are selected by hitting the aux. buttons and they will stay on for the duration. Picture of dash with front camera view and Aux. switches:

Dash%20View.jpg

I hit the scales today. The truck was full tanks, (fuel, DEF, water, and propane) Tool boxes and recovery gear all in place, and an extra 33" spare tire tucked up underneath for the trailer that follows us around. All in it came to 11,340 lbs, with 5320 front and 6020 back. A little on the heavy side but not too bad for a max. load condition. With the trailer in tow I have options to shift some of the heavier tools and recovery gear off the truck.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Hey, my buddy sent me a picture of you guys headed west in Missouri. Where ya headed?

Been on the road for Thanksgiving visiting family and friends scattered about. MO was on our way home. Dropped off the highway in Springfield to get some barbeque at Buckingham's near the Bass Pro Shop, then ran the back roads down to Arkansas from there. Working on some more photos and write up. Got to catch up on some outside house chores while it isn't raining. Thanksgiving was almost 4 weeks on the road. GPS trip log on the map. The inner loop was our trip up to OVX East.

Fall%20Travels.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
Very nice,thanks for the ARB front bumper pictures,it is on my short list. Do you think Hella 500's would fit in the space for the winch?
Thanks.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Very nice,thanks for the ARB front bumper pictures,it is on my short list. Do you think Hella 500's would fit in the space for the winch?
Thanks.

I'm not sure on the Hella's. I can take a few measurements if you want. I went with Baja Designs combination flood/spots. They bolted on to tabs with predrilled holes in the bumper easily in time for my last trip. Holes in the bumper for the wires to route out the back were also existing.

Baja%20Designs%20Lights.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online