Flatbed Camper floor exit/entry points

BrianBee

So I'm looking into buying a total composites box that's mounted to an aluminum flatbed. I was wondering how to run various items (toilet exhaust, heater intake/exhaust, water) through the floor? The original plan was to use a subframe and drill where the gaps are. I'm sort of lost on what to do with a flatbed? Do I drill through it? I would much prefer to have things exit through the bottom versus the sides of the box. Thanks!

simple

Adventurer
I think you could look at a flatbed as a subframe with a skin over it. You would still mark your holes to avoid the structural bits underneath and cutaway the sheet metal wherever needed.

dbhost

Simply put, what simple said. Lay it out and make your holes avoiding any structural members. What constitutes structural is going to be dependent upon your flooring type as well. But for kicks and grins lets say your floor of 3/8" aluminum plate. No problem, just make sure you avoid the framing. 2xwhatever wood? Don't drill out too big of a hole too close to the edges etc...

I am designing / building an aluminum / foamie flatbed box and will be using an aluminum subfloor / flatbed floor which will have penetrations for the required, well... stuff... Intake / exhaust, gray water. My black water is a cassette so no worries there.

BrianBee

Thanks for the info, ya'll. I figured that was the case, but wanted to make absolutely sure since the aluminum flatbed was pretty costly. We decided not to get the flatbed build in the end... When we do our new build, we are going to just go with a subframe. We don't plan to take the camper off, so I don't think a flatbed would do us any good anyways. Cheers

dbhost

Thanks for the info, ya'll. I figured that was the case, but wanted to make absolutely sure since the aluminum flatbed was pretty costly. We decided not to get the flatbed build in the end... When we do our new build, we are going to just go with a subframe. We don't plan to take the camper off, so I don't think a flatbed would do us any good anyways. Cheers

Just from MY perspective mind you, I would still go with a flatbed frame, of sorts anyway...

When you, or whomever is doing the design work, designs the camper itself, you are going to need a good solid support, and attachment to the truck chassis. At least that's my plan. The rest of the box gets built OVER that. NO floor needed on the frame, but if you have any intention of being able to resell it as a truck, not a camper, set it up so a floor can be added to the flatbed frame. In my case I am planning on pulling the OE truck bed and keeping it, so box frame direct to chassis. Fiberglass over foam on aluminum frame. The idea is light weight, strenght and space...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles