Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I'd been investigating something similar from motion control, as well as uhmw polyethyelene based guides from 80/20 and a few others. Wondering how it seems to you from a binding standpoint? Probably way less of an issue with CNC precision and dead square installation as in your build. Curious how much slop/movement is present in the carriage bearing unit?
Was looking for something to control side to side motion and center my box as it articulated. My walls have some flex and wanted to find something to set the distance between the walls and keep it constant. Been using sliders, but they arent great for that, so I'm interested in a track and bearing carriage or uhmw based carriage for a couple reasons.

The track and carrier have very little to no slop, they are adjustable to compensate for wear, I adjusted mine so there is a little drag. They are strong, with something beefy enough they could take some flex out of the walls and that could set the distance, a UHMW slide would probably give less headache when dust or dirt is present. You are talking about replacing the slides between your top half and bottom half right? The system I designed does have a few features to allow for some movement, the HC core panels have some torsional flex ie you can "twist" them a bit which is beneficial, the extrusions are designed to allow for some of that flex so the camper is not a complete absolutely rigid box. The flex isn't that much, but more than what the chassis/deck flexes so the possibility of binding is small but exists. The biggest thing with the bunk is the platform floats, it just sits in the brackets, in case we aren't sitting perfectly level there will be no stress on anything, and the wall or shower wall will not even come close to having enough twist to affect the front or rear assemblies. I suppose I could fix it at one end, but I can pull it out in 2 seconds the way it is.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sometimes by the time I get into the shop everybody is gone home! That's the way every shop should look at the end of the day, it's easier to start the next day when it's organized.

:26_7_2:
Ok, honest Six Sigma question; do you put time on your guys' schedules for them to clean up before they head home for the night?

Jeep

:26_7_2:
Ok, honest Six Sigma question; do you put time on your guys' schedules for them to clean up before they head home for the night?

5-10 minutes paid time at the end of each day. Makes for a clean, safe, efficient work space. We primarily work on new builds, and the environment needs to reflect professionalism within our company and to our very valuable client group.

DzlToy

Explorer
I have been in the construction industry for about 20 years and I despise a dirty work site. Whilst I am only a subcontractor, I don't have much control over it, but on the jobsites that we are on, we certainly do our best to clean up. I have contracted with and for other companies that set aside time for cleaning the site, organising company vans and trucks, cleaning the warehouse or loading dock area, etc., and it makes all the difference. About 10 years ago, one guy was found to be "hoarding" tools and supplies in a company van. It was a complete mess and he could never find anyting, so he would just buy or get from the warehouse, whatever he needed. It became known as the "Katrina" van and about once every week or so, received a full clean out. We could restock a small section of the warehouse wiht the stuff that Rob had in his van...

It pays to be clean and organised in almost every industry or job IMO. Worked on a filthy job site yesterday, could not wait to be done and GTFO.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
5-10 minutes paid time at the end of each day. Makes for a clean, safe, efficient work space. We primarily work on new builds, and the environment needs to reflect professionalism within our company and to our very valuable client group.

More huge kudos. Keep up the amazing work!

Freebird

Adventurer
"Most moisture than creates condensation you will be dealing with in long term/full time winter trips will be from YOU, NOT the air outside."

Yes...or no. Depends on your winter activities.
Clothes and gear coated in snow and frozen condensed body moisture within the fabrics brought inside will thaw inside the camper contributing a LOT of moisture to the situation.

I agree that biological systems (us & pets) exhaust lots of moisture, and it is certainly the primary source for typical small space camping. The idea of a 12v heat exchanger appeals to me. Hopefully the unit cited previously is capable enough to be worth installing.

Jeep

There are 3 large horizontal, and 6 medium to large vents are in, and there are 2 heaters. Airflow and replacement heat are the only real and logical solutions, very simple too :)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have been in the construction industry for about 20 years and I despise a dirty work site. Whilst I am only a subcontractor, I don't have much control over it, but on the jobsites that we are on, we certainly do our best to clean up.

Well, I AM the general contractor on my sites, and I wish there were more subs like you. I refuse to have a messy job site. If only my electricians would figure out that their time is NOT more valuble than mine! I've been cleaning up after my sparky for 10 years, but he is the best by far in my part of the world and we have been friends for 20 plus years. When aa new apprentice shows up, I take him aside and explain how my sites work. I usually win, but not always.

Jeep: your shop looks fantastic. For the money people spend for your services (which I know are not cheap) it SHOULD look like a surgery! There are many that don't however, and I'm always horrified by the work environment some people choose.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Well, I AM the general contractor on my sites, and I wish there were more subs like you. I refuse to have a messy job site. If only my electricians would figure out that their time is NOT more valuble than mine! I've been cleaning up after my sparky for 10 years, but he is the best by far in my part of the world and we have been friends for 20 plus years. When aa new apprentice shows up, I take him aside and explain how my sites work. I usually win, but not always.

Jeep: your shop looks fantastic. For the money people spend for your services (which I know are not cheap) it SHOULD look like a surgery! There are many that don't however, and I'm always horrified by the work environment some people choose.

The last 5 years I have worked for a very messy company. It slowly killed me! So nice to be my own boss again :)

Jeep

Power

Inverter bracket

20160114_204406_resized.jpg

Overkill? Magnum Energy ME3112, 3100 Watts, transfer switch, solar input, 5 stage 160 amp, yes 160 amp charger, so it will top up a battery bank fast.

20160114_204035_resized.jpg

Battery box slides, locking, 500 pound capacity.

20160114_201223_resized.jpg

20160114_201230_resized.jpg

Battery box, set up for group 31 (3) or 2 6A27 6 Volt AGMs, batteries are Discover 6A27 210 amp hour AGM's, Battery box is pretty much sealed, there will be a 3" vent hose and a vent in the outside wall to keep any hydrogen gas that might happen outside.

20160114_201504_resized.jpg

20160114_203404_resized.jpg

Everything in place.

20160114_212426_resized.jpg

20160114_212434_resized.jpg

Solar, Go Power 200 watt (100 per panel) system, flat panels will be bonded directly to roof, will be nice not to have to build brackets for something for once!

20160114_213132_resized.jpg

Nice and thin.

20160114_213141_resized.jpg

Terra Ops

Adventurer
I'm sure you know Go Power offers a complete system that includes an inverter. Just curious why you chose the magnum?
Progress is looking great! Always excited to see latest pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94