Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Merry Christmas everybody! Thanks for all the great comments, questions, and ideas. Sometimes this is the fun part of the project!

xtremexj

Adventurer
Holy crap Mark!! You've sure been busy since I checked the thread a couple weeks ago. Looks freakin fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hope you and the family had a Merry Christmas and that Santa was good to you all. Hope to see you around the campfire sometime in 2016! :)

TridentTravels

Great stuff!

Mark...Curious if you have figured out any of the pricing/availiblity/logistics on the panels? I am considering building an offroad camper and wanted to use a similar product, but anything comparable, that I can find, is smaller sheets. What are your thoughts on building the frame using steel instead of AL? Thanks! Chris

Jeep

Hey Chris, check with Victorian here on the board and see if he can set you up with a delivery to the left coast, if that doesn't work out check with Beaufort Composites out of Florida, still a distance but on theta side of the country. Steel done right is OK, you need to get a proper powder coat put on the whole frame to keep corrosion at bay though, I wouldn't use paint on such project.
Cheers,
Mark.

Jeep

Update!

Got a lot of stuff done, roughed in wiring, bathroom is a pile closer, rest of the windows showed up.

Wiring in fridge cabinet.
Image 12.jpg

Image 13.jpg

Coming through the main cabinet.
Image 7.jpg

Water tank side.
Image 8.jpg

The safety factor, I like Blue Sea stuff.

Image 4.jpg

Actuators and linear guides for bunk, I was going to do a folding design but really didn't like the idea of blocking off the upper window when the bunk was folded, this will push the bed to the ceiling when not in use, and bring it down 24" when we need it.

Image 15.jpg

Guides.

Image 14.jpg

Where the actuator will go. Actuators are cosmetic which is a bonus.

Image 6.jpg

Jeep

Side shots with all the windows in, and the Thetford door for the cassette toilet, I might build my own doors going forward, they are OK but…….

Image 5.jpg

Image 10.jpg

Fridge vents and door. Nice and clean.

Image 9.jpg

And spent a week skiing at Silver Star! Saw these things at the rental shop, thought it was funny, then I touched the tire…..and I had to try it! These things are great, rode some cross country trails, showshoeing trails, couldn't believe how they stayed on top of the hardback. My legs are still mad.

Image 11.jpg

Jeep

Tip for the homebuilders

Try this stuff for a super clean cutting/tapping lube. We use it on sanding discs for fine polishing, drilling, tapping a hundred holes is easy with a drill, the right size hole and some edge lube. It also works to prevent galling on stainless fasteners, it's paraffin based so nice and clean, and softens your skin while you work so it even has the capability to make your girl happier.

Image 20.jpg

Healeyjet

Explorer
Awesome progress Mark!! Such clean details.
Can't wait to see it finished.

As for the bikes they are a blast to drive aren't they. I have a Surly Pugsley and love it!

Ward

S2DM

Adventurer
Got a lot of stuff done, roughed in wiring, bathroom is a pile closer, rest of the windows showed up.

Wiring in fridge cabinet.
View attachment 323533

View attachment 323534

Coming through the main cabinet.
View attachment 323535

Water tank side.
View attachment 323536

The safety factor, I like Blue Sea stuff.

View attachment 323537

Actuators and linear guides for bunk, I was going to do a folding design but really didn't like the idea of blocking off the upper window when the bunk was folded, this will push the bed to the ceiling when not in use, and bring it down 24" when we need it.

View attachment 323542

Guides.

View attachment 323543

Where the actuator will go. Actuators are cosmetic which is a bonus.

View attachment 323544

You mind sharing the guide manufacturer? I've got a spot that would use something similar and have only been able to find lighter duty units.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Hey Chris, check with Victorian here on the board and see if he can set you up with a delivery to the left coast, if that doesn't work out check with Beaufort Composites out of Florida, still a distance but on theta side of the country. Steel done right is OK, you need to get a proper powder coat put on the whole frame to keep corrosion at bay though, I wouldn't use paint on such project.
Cheers,
Mark.

Beaufort Composites is in NC, unless there is another with the same name:)
I spoke with them, their panels have a maximum width of 4' and they do not sell the extrusions.
I also spoke with Andreas at total composites. I really want to do business with this company.
The only draw back is shipping to the east coast. Cost is nearly 50% of the panels.
If anybody else on the East coast is thinking about this, please PM me, perhaps we can share the shipping expense.
I'm so glad Mark posted his build. These panels are a game changer!

Jeep

Actuators and guides

Firgelli Automation stocks the actuators and guides in Canada and USA. Were good to deal with. Going away from a $20 piano hinge cost $960 more! But it will be nice, and keep the interior roomy at the same time.

Jeep

Beaufort Composites is in NC, unless there is another with the same name:)
I spoke with them, their panels have a maximum width of 4' and they do not sell the extrusions.
I also spoke with Andreas at total composites. I really want to do business with this company.
The only draw back is shipping to the east coast. Cost is nearly 50% of the panels.
If anybody else on the East coast is thinking about this, please PM me, perhaps we can share the shipping expense.
I'm so glad Mark posted his build. These panels are a game changer!

Correct!

Kerr Panel is in Denver, they are a top notch facility that does a lot of R&D and they also do big panels. They were too busy to take my order though.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94