Flat Tire External Sidewall Repair?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think I've posted my Baja tire sidewall repair story here before... Even though I did so many things "wrong", it still got me back to pavement, and then even down the road to the tire shop.

Love it. Sometimes you just have to make it work. Well done.

I keep stainless safety wire, large reinforced patches, and even a tube in 'oh noes' kit for the same reason.

geoffff

Observer
I keep stainless safety wire, large reinforced patches, and even a tube in 'oh noes' kit for the same reason.

One thing I learned is that wire is actually not suitable for sewing up tires. It fatigues and breaks as it flexes, as you can see it's started to do in the above image. Instead I now carry kevlar thread.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think I've posted my Baja tire sidewall repair story here before... Even though I did so many things "wrong", it still got me back to pavement, and then even down the road to the tire shop.

This. Stack contact cement and cold patches on top of fishing line and 13 plugs if you have to in order to get it home.

jgaz

Adventurer
Love it. Sometimes you just have to make it work. Well done.

I’m glad to see that someone posted about carrying a tube.

I have a lot of experience in the 70’s with farmers asking for a “boot and a tube” rather than replace a wagon tire.
The “boot” was a large patch applied to keep the tire cords from wearing a hole in the tube.

I know this was with bias ply tires, in off highway use, but I would think it would work the same way with a radial tube in an emergency.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One thing I learned is that wire is actually not suitable for sewing up tires. It fatigues and breaks as it flexes, as you can see it's started to do in the above image. Instead I now carry kevlar thread.

I think it is half dozen of one kinda thing. I've played with both. The kevlar line will actually saw its way through the rubber sometimes. The stainless tie wire seems to be a good balance. It is made to be strong and flexible with a higher fatigue life than regular bailing wire or re-bar type tie-wire. I don't think any of this would be super long term. The sidewall flex destroys itself eventually. I've honestly had the best luck with a large reinforced patch on the inside and outside.....might have ran those for quite some time back when someone slashed all four of my tires when I was college poor.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Certainly I'd not run it on pavement but just to get me off a bad spot and down to an area where its easier to change a flat or do a better repair, yeah I'd try it.

I carry a tube but I'd have to be pretty desperate to use it.

85_Ranger4x4

I’m glad to see that someone posted about carrying a tube.

I have a lot of experience in the 70’s with farmers asking for a “boot and a tube” rather than replace a wagon tire.
The “boot” was a large patch applied to keep the tire cords from wearing a hole in the tube.

I know this was with bias ply tires, in off highway use, but I would think it would work the same way with a radial tube in an emergency.

I was thinking the same thing.

I run tubes in old radial car tires on my old farm equipment. Disk, shredder, plows etc. Despite what the directions say at least for low speed stuff it works great. Never tried a boot though, usually the shredder does too good of a job of killing tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94