Flat/matte black painting or vinyl wrapping of a vehicle

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Some or most know that I have been wanting to trade for a LC100, as I investigate the SUV market, it seems that its kinda impossible to do right now, I will only take trade and if i have to ill pay 1000 to the LC owner who wants to trade (if the LC is in my expectations)

but now that I have been thinking, i kinda thought of black matting the 4runner and making it sorta stealthy, wheels would be a graphite grey color most likely.

some ideas...

4803211768d7249e819bry6.jpg

Flat-Black-Nissan-GT_R-04.jpg

black_brute_front.jpg

some ideas

Dredzilla

Observer
Ive been thinking the same thing. Have you found any brands of paint or cost involved with vinyl? A friend of mine is a "backyard" painter, I asked him if there was a type of paint other that primer that will give you that "flat" look. he said he wasnt sure. so off to do some more research.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Dredzilla said:
Ive been thinking the same thing. Have you found any brands of paint or cost involved with vinyl? A friend of mine is a "backyard" painter, I asked him if there was a type of paint other that primer that will give you that "flat" look. he said he wasnt sure. so off to do some more research.

i think their is a hotrodders paint that makes it work well, i think you still have to put a clear coat on but it keeps the matte look.

john deere blitz black is another i have seen with other car users for that type of finish

my idea for my truck (photo is a year old so mods have been a little different on it.

sorta an idea

4runnerphotoshopyd1.jpg

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I think it might look cool, but......your truck is built for the trails, and is a very capable wheeler. I wouldn't waste any money on unnecessary paint. Be patient - it'll take a bit more time to sell a truck built like yours, but it'll happen and then you can get the LC you want. My 2c.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
In the early days of "suede" paint toner was added to primer. The problem with that method is that primer (excepting a couple epoxies) is porous, so moisture gets through it and rusts the vehicle.

Now I understand that flattener is being added to top coat paint for a satin to flat finish.

I've been told that the flat black paint used by some DOT's (CalTrans for instance) on their truck hoods is terribly expensive because it is both flat and not porous. Nor is it so rough that wax & dirt get caught in it.

I'm all for painting a hood or part of a hood (bonnet) flat to semi-flat black for glare reasons. I simply fail to understand why anyone would want a complete vehicle painted that way. Nearly every wannabe trophy truck driver has his or her "Trust Fund Truck" painted flat black.
I think it looks hideous.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
ntsqd said:
I'm all for painting a hood or part of a hood (bonnet) flat to semi-flat black for glare reasons. I simply fail to understand why anyone would want a complete vehicle painted that way. Nearly every wannabe trophy truck driver has his or her "Trust Fund Truck" painted flat black.
I think it looks hideous.

+1 on this. Flat paint is OK on small surfaces, or on military vehicles where you don't really care about showing streaks, but on a civilian vehicle I think it's awful. A few years back a lot of motorcycle manufacturers started coming out with sportbikes that had flat black or grey paint and I thought it was hideous.

I mean, taste is a subjective thing, but to me when I see a vehicle with flat black or grey paint, I always think: "Nice priming job. When are you going to paint it? " :D

BTW, I saw a 2nd gen Montero in Steamboat Springs this past weekend painted flat black. It was obviously a snowboard bum's truck and the paint was obviously rattlecanned black primer. It had a skull stenciled on the spare tire cover and the word "Doom" written on it. :rolleyes:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We did the 10 year italian flat black vinyl on our hood (hood blackout) and it wasn't super cheap. We bought a roll for about $100. That would equal about 4 hoods. Im sure doing the whole vehicle would be a pretty penney. I've been quoted $2,500 to wrap our cruiser and trailer to match. I think it would be cheaper to paint. In fact, i know it's cheaper.. cause we painted the trailer instead of wrapping it to match the cruiser.

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
hmm wrapping i guess would be out of the question, thats what i was curious about was the amount of pinstripes and or bubbling up would happen.

i now found out that satin finish might be the way to go, its not totally flat, it has a little pep to it sorta like the mclaren mercedes at the top. Durability? not totally sure.

and this wouldnt happen until im sure that finding an LC100 is not going to happen for what im really looking for.

aslostasyou

Adventurer
I painted a Range Rover a few years back in a nice flat black. I used Range Rover Java black and added a flatening agent to it. IIRC it was 1 part paint .5 parts flatening agent and .5 parts hardener. Just mixed up in a gravity gun an away I went. This allowed for the UV protection of the actual Rover gloss paint.

I actually prepped the whole truck and painted it in my garage. :) I covered the walls with vis-queen setup floor fans and a turbo heater to get the temp right and shot it. It took all of a day to prep and tape and another day to paint.

Turned out amazing and held up REALLY WELL. She had many trips through the tight brush in Ocala and Osceola and to my surprise the paint never even scratched. I put on about 6 coats all told. I'm going to do the same thing to my Disco fairly soon. The looks you get driving a rig painted like this are priceless. :) Looking at these photos really makes me miss this truck.

rover9.jpg

rover10.jpg

rover3.jpg

rover4.jpg

rover5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz