Flashy... or not?

Shovel

Explorer
When I bought my ride... I was thinking "it's inexpensive, has beefy underpinnings, the interior does what I want, junkyard parts will be available for quite some time, and it has very low miles.. cool"

Trouble is, it's also kinda flashy. Bright red and curvy - not lookin' very subtle.

I don't mind being able to clean it up for "townie" functions... but I worry about the kind of attention a shiny vehicle might get in places like Mexico, etc.

Any thoughts? Am I worried for nothing? Ideas for uglfying it (that don't involve damaging it)

vengeful

Explorer

LOL :26_7_2:

That would certainly "un-flash-ify" it a bit. And yes, that's the proper technical term! LOL.:rockon:

t0mills

Adventurer
I have a ZR2 s-10 pickup, that i've had for about a year and a half now. Been a decent truck, but I'm planning on getting rid of it soon.

GM really messed up on the front end parts in those trucks. I have to rebuild the front end constantly, and deal with problems like vibrations and such. If you just look at the idler arm, you can tell it was a very weak design in the first place. Also, they did widen the frame, but kept the control arms the same length, while lifting the truck some to fit the 31" tires. That makes for poor geometry, and an expensive bill every few months.

If you leave the suspension 100% stock, you will be alright for a while. Also, don't change out the wheels.

I'm not saying anything bad about your purchase or anything, but I would maybe think pretty hard about taking it on long trips, such as to mexico.

They do look very nice though.

Tim

Shovel

Explorer
heh... I'm quite well acquainted with the questionable front suspension - and how to correct it. Definitely not gonna keep me from taking long trips ;)

www.zr2usa.com has been an excellent resource for finding the pitfalls, though I've had to discover my own solutions since most people complain/replace/complain/replace over there.

Carlyle

Explorer
Try keeping it dirty, I have great success keeping my truck dirty. Less bling when covered in a deep layer of mud and grime.

Shovel

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Blazers are plentiful in Mexico. It won't even turn a head...
I've never been South of Puerto Panesco -

I kinda figured most blazers look more like this in Mexico.. except perhaps more dented.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Your BlaZRer2 is not that flashy and they are a dime a dozen down south, I wouldn't worry about it.

preacherman

Explorer
I would almost venture to say I see more s10 blazers in Mexico than any other 4x4. I do also see alot of ford trucks and broncos now that I think about it.

toyrunner95

Explorer
put some speed holes in the hood and then paint it with red spray paint. OH and make sure you have one of those crappy doughnut spares on it. you will be fine.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Ursidae69 said:
Your BlaZRer2 is not that flashy and they are a dime a dozen down south, I wouldn't worry about it.
Yup, in fact, look at the attached pic, Seapahn had to jump up and down while waving his arms to get attention....

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
LOL, I remember that trip, I had ZR2 envy because had that BDS lift and I just had the BL. :oops: Man, where did the lasy 6 years go??? :confused:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That was a fun trip....I really wish I would have been able to keep the front end of that truck together...it really was fun to drive, it rode and handled so much better than the TJ does...it was just such a maintenance nightmare....

:Mechanic: