FJ80 wheel and slider recommendation

wyodoc

I am wanting to replace the original wheels on my 1994 80 series. Should I go to17 inch wheels from the 16s?
I am thinking of going with 33 inch tires, may or may not do a 2 inch lift.
Does anyone have a specific brand/model they can recommend?
Also sliders, I put on ARB front-end rear bumpers but do not like their sliders.
I am having trouble finding other options.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I swapped my stock 16" for some method 17". If I had it to do over, I dont know that I would make the swap. Tire choices are the same unless you're going to 37", where the are more choices for 17".
Factory wheels are good and can be freshened up. IMO, keep the 16" wheels, get a 2" OME lift and 285 75s and call it done.

carlpb

I would check the 80 section on IH8MUD. There are numerous options for sliders, metal tech, slee off road, etc. As far as wheels, I would stick with the 80's wheels, they are forged and solid as can be. If going for looks, you will not get as good a wheel without spending a lot of money and need to carefully check backspacing, hub dimensions, lug type etc. for proper fitment. Tire shops will sell you anything that that may fit but not meet the specific requirements or be as durable.

smartzombie

I am wanting to replace the original wheels on my 1994 80 series. Should I go to17 inch wheels from the 16s?
I am thinking of going with 33 inch tires, may or may not do a 2 inch lift.
Does anyone have a specific brand/model they can recommend?
Also sliders, I put on ARB front-end rear bumpers but do not like their sliders.
I am having trouble finding other options.

having done both these mods already, I would keep the stock wheels and just paint them black or have them powder coated to a color of your choice... I have white knuckle sliders out of apple valley,Ca and they are one of the best regarding a quality product. Way overbuilt And great customer service.

MOAK

Adventurer
I agree with all the above. Whatever you do stick with 16” wheels. It’s always better to have more rubber on your sidewalls than less. I like the “stock” look so I have kept the original 450 wheels. I have all first generation Slee Short Bus front bumper, rear bumper and sliders, and the OME heavy suspension. The stock wheels are much stronger and lighter than about anything else on the market. If you have a very fat wallet, then by all means find a set of forged wheels. Just be careful, a lot of em are advertised as forged and they are not. They are machined castings. That’s what our stock wheels are on our 80 series LCs which are often mistaken for forged. If they were really forged wheels, used ones would easily fetch 400 and up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles