Fj80 vs 4runner

Went out and got some seat time with one on some mild trails. I'm sold. Can't wait to get in one. The one I played with didn't have the KDSS. I can't find a single used trail edition anywhere in the state of AZ. Not sure about going with a 14 because of body style change winch bumper options etc are limited.

How big of an offroad difference does the KDSS make? Would most of you guys who have it hands down choose it everytime? On roads not a big deal coming from an 80.

On that note, if anyone feels like buying an 80:http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ition-Ready-Built-FZJ80?p=1599817#post1599817

p nut

butter
Don't forget that GX470's also came with KDSS (an option since '04, I believe). Another (possibly cheaper) option, if you want KDSS, since you can get them at a pretty good price used.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
What about a Ford Raptor since you are spending time in the baja....not that you will be racing the truck but it is a good platform to start with. I have followed Raptors on some pretty narrow trails on the east coast and they have gone everywhere the owner pointed it....just thinking outside the box. Also coming from a 80 fuel economy should not be an issue and the Raptor may have slightly better fuel economy with a lot more power.... Raptor also comes stock with 34.5" tires. The only issue is price of the Raptor, but there are used ones out there....

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
. Not sure about going with a 14 because of body style change winch bumper options etc are limited.

Shrockworks has a decent one.

d_1100.jpg

Millen Adventures 2014 4Runner

994697_662209257153962_91541558_n.jpg

84scrambler

Observer
ok i will give you the straightest answer i can i have rode a lot of miles in a 5th gen 4runner and the only spot i am comfortable is driving i am 6'1" and my head hits the roof all the time, i have to lower the drivers seat down, i would say there is more head room in a tacoma but the windshield is annoying as hell, i loved my 80 way more room and better built, i would look at the 4th gen 4runner before the 5th and you get a v8, the 4.0 is about the same power as my 3.4 in my 3rd gen hoped that helped a little.

chmura

Adventurer
ok i will give you the straightest answer i can i have rode a lot of miles in a 5th gen 4runner and the only spot i am comfortable is driving i am 6'1" and my head hits the roof all the time, i have to lower the drivers seat down, i would say there is more head room in a tacoma but the windshield is annoying as hell, i loved my 80 way more room and better built, i would look at the 4th gen 4runner before the 5th and you get a v8, the 4.0 is about the same power as my 3.4 in my 3rd gen hoped that helped a little.

Unless your 3.4l is supecharged it is no where near the same power as the 4.0.

I've own a 3.4l Tacoma and now a 4.0 4runner and it is a night/day difference.

p nut

butter
Unless your 3.4l is supecharged it is no where near the same power as the 4.0.

I've own a 3.4l Tacoma and now a 4.0 4runner and it is a night/day difference.

Agreed. I had a supercharged 3.4L and felt it was about on-par with 4.0 V6's.

Really appreciate everyone's input and experience and advice who weighed in on this. Drove home this evening with a 2014 SR5 4runner. Didn't see a need for the KDSS/Trail. I'm old school and don't believe in buttons to help me wheeling, never needed em before in a vehicle, plus after my JK i'm not a big fan of e-lockers I'd rather add ARB's when I regear to 4.56's. It was very interesting I noticed that the sunroof models dropped the ceiling by a solid 2(+) inches. I didn't feel comfortable and hit my head in those. The non sunroof which is what I ended up with felt roomier than my 80. I'm still kind of unsure what to do with 20mpg (even 16-18 after lift and goodies) I'm used to damn near single digits on my 80.
Icon 2.5" RR coilovers front, OME rear springs, Icon 2.5" RR shocks rear, and camburg front UCA on order should arrive Monday. Thanks again for everyones advice. Contacted AT for a drawer system like they did for Paul @ Equipt and theyre getting me pricing. Thinking CBI offroad fab for a rear bumper with swing and double 5 gallon jerry can holder. Front I'm kinda stuck on. I like the shrockworks but I talked to them today and they said theyre about 5-6 months out. Spoke to ARB and they said they are unsure because they are only going to be making one bumper that will fit 2 of the 4 models and they are researching which one to choose. Said once they make a decision still 8 months out after that. I have a frontrunner roof rack on my 80 and it looks like right now they only have a 3/4 for the 5th gen but they are close to releasing a full rack for the 5th gen.

Thanks again everyone for advice.

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
Really appreciate everyone's input and experience and advice who weighed in on this. Drove home this evening with a 2014 SR5 4runner. Didn't see a need for the KDSS/Trail. I'm old school and don't believe in buttons to help me wheeling, never needed em before in a vehicle, plus after my JK i'm not a big fan of e-lockers I'd rather add ARB's when I regear to 4.56's. It was very interesting I noticed that the sunroof models dropped the ceiling by a solid 2(+) inches. I didn't feel comfortable and hit my head in those. The non sunroof which is what I ended up with felt roomier than my 80. I'm still kind of unsure what to do with 20mpg (even 16-18 after lift and goodies) I'm used to damn near single digits on my 80.
Icon 2.5" RR coilovers front, OME rear springs, Icon 2.5" RR shocks rear, and camburg front UCA on order should arrive Monday. Thanks again for everyones advice. Contacted AT for a drawer system like they did for Paul @ Equipt and theyre getting me pricing. Thinking CBI offroad fab for a rear bumper with swing and double 5 gallon jerry can holder. Front I'm kinda stuck on. I like the shrockworks but I talked to them today and they said theyre about 5-6 months out. Spoke to ARB and they said they are unsure because they are only going to be making one bumper that will fit 2 of the 4 models and they are researching which one to choose. Said once they make a decision still 8 months out after that. I have a frontrunner roof rack on my 80 and it looks like right now they only have a 3/4 for the 5th gen but they are close to releasing a full rack for the 5th gen.

Thanks again everyone for advice.

Good choice!

I thought the older Rubi's had air actuated lockers. Are they running electric lockers now? Or were they always electric and the interwebs led me astray (been known to happen :D )

Sounds like a sweet build, looking forward to the build!

Clutch

<---Pass
Killer! Congrats man!

I dunno...the Expo 80 series Gods might boot you off Mount Olympus. Careful out there! :p :D

Hahahha fair point Clutch! Gotta be careful about who I admit to about myself going to the darkside! In all honesty I freaking love my 80 and it'll always have a special place as my first expedition wheeling rig. I traveled all over in that. An 80 series has to be one of the most capable overlanding vehicles out there. That sad the newest 80 series is over 15 years old and damn this 4runner is fancy and comfy! I'm test fitting with Ben from Outback Proven to see if the FJ rear aux tank will work on a 4runner since they're based off the same frame. Hopefully it works fingers crossed!

And nope Axle as far as I know all rubi's have had E-lockers unless otherwise added aftermarket. Damn interweb giving you false hope.

jrob

Observer
I'm test fitting with Ben from Outback Proven to see if the FJ rear aux tank will work on a 4runner since they're based off the same frame. Hopefully it works fingers crossed!

Hey, any word on this? I have been searching for an Aux tank option as well and coming up empty other than having one custom made. CBI offers one but only 17 gal I believe. Seems like theres room for more.

Congrats on the Runner. I found this thread searching aux tank info and was going to chime in. Having had my Trail edition for about a year now, with 3" toytec lift and 33s, I will say that it is quite capable. I don't do much "hardcore wheeling" in it but it takes me everywhere I want to go in comfort. I will give a nod to the boys at Shrockworks for a bumper. The lead time is absolutely worth it, as the product is remarkable. They have group buys over on the 4runner forum about twice a year it looks like. I have thair sliders as well.
Hope to hear about the Aux tank and hope you're enjoying your new rig.

PS Sick cruiser! Very intrigued by the Dual Spares. Yet another thing I was contemplating.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
id go with either a 100 series or older 4runner like early 4th gen with the v8... you will not like the new 5th gens. the quality has gone down hill. you will be very disappointed coming from a 80 series, especially with the price that you will pay for a 5th gen. you can get a nice hundy or 4th gen for $10-15k you would have to double that to get a 5th gen, why no take that other $15k and put into mods/upgrade, and or repairs... i currently have a 3rd gen runner, but have several friends who have 5th gens and they all like my 3rd gen better for its capabilities, ease or working on, and its just plan better build quality, i have 300k mi on it and not a single rattle or lose panel ect where as all but one of the 5th gens i know of have random and odd squeaks and rattles -in a 2yo vehicle with less than 30k mi. im sorry i cant expect something like that to last 200k and it sure does not instill a lot of confidence in overlanding one. the 4th gen 4runners are a good ballance between freshness and modern updates but yet good build quality they have good power(especially the v8s) and are very capable, plus there is a good aftermarket/off road fallowing/support for them. my father inlaw who is a master tech for toyota said in his opinion that the 3rd gen 4runners and 1st gen tacomas along with 100LCs are the last good toyotas made as far as rugged and durability and longevity are concerned. and he has been working for toyota for over 30 years now. i think you will find the newer you get, the less auto manufactures rely on quality to sell vehicles and more on gadgets frills. you know the more i think about this i say take the money you would spend on a new(er) vehicle, and dump that back into the 80LC, do a 4.7l v8 swap, put some new seats in it, new carpets and or some new sound deadening/insulation ect... you have a nice 80 keep it and just go through it front to back, top to bottom... freshen it up and update it.

joneseyyy

Explorer
id go with either a 100 series or older 4runner like early 4th gen with the v8... you will not like the new 5th gens. the quality has gone down hill. you will be very disappointed coming from a 80 series, especially with the price that you will pay for a 5th gen. you can get a nice hundy or 4th gen for $10-15k you would have to double that to get a 5th gen, why no take that other $15k and put into mods/upgrade, and or repairs... i currently have a 3rd gen runner, but have several friends who have 5th gens and they all like my 3rd gen better for its capabilities, ease or working on, and its just plan better build quality, i have 300k mi on it and not a single rattle or lose panel ect where as all but one of the 5th gens i know of have random and odd squeaks and rattles -in a 2yo vehicle with less than 30k mi. im sorry i cant expect something like that to last 200k and it sure does not instill a lot of confidence in overlanding one. the 4th gen 4runners are a good ballance between freshness and modern updates but yet good build quality they have good power(especially the v8s) and are very capable, plus there is a good aftermarket/off road fallowing/support for them. my father inlaw who is a master tech for toyota said in his opinion that the 3rd gen 4runners and 1st gen tacomas along with 100LCs are the last good toyotas made as far as rugged and durability and longevity are concerned. and he has been working for toyota for over 30 years now. i think you will find the newer you get, the less auto manufactures rely on quality to sell vehicles and more on gadgets frills. you know the more i think about this i say take the money you would spend on a new(er) vehicle, and dump that back into the 80LC, do a 4.7l v8 swap, put some new seats in it, new carpets and or some new sound deadening/insulation ect... you have a nice 80 keep it and just go through it front to back, top to bottom... freshen it up and update it.

I'll disagree based on my experience owning a 5th gen that's heavily modded (has been for 80k) and is now at 104K miles and has been a great vehicle given what I've done with it.

The difference between a 15k 4th Gen and a preowned 28k 5th gen is several years and probably 50k+ miles. For many, that justifies the price difference assuming their budget stretches that high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior