FJ80 Brake Master vs Tacoma Brake Master

I want to start a debate or discussion based on people's experience or educated insight. Regarding brake master cylinders. In the industry, it has become "standard" to swap in a FJ80 master into older Toyota trucks. They are 1" bore so more volume is applied, blah, blah, blah...

Question #1
What I am debating is the generic application of an "Fj80" master. 80 series trucks came both disc/drum and disc/disc. Which master am I getting when I order one of these masters from the popular places? I guess one way of making sure would be to order from Rock Auto or the dealer to make sure you're getting the right configuration.

Question #2
Has anybody done the swap and had a good or bad result? I am curious to know what people's experiences have been.

Question #3
When swapping in the new master, do you guys also swap in the larger booster?

I have my own opinions and experience with Toyota brakes and largely, I think Toyota brakes suck. At least that's what I used to think until I swapped in a complete Tacoma brake system (calipers, master, booster, etc) into my own 1st gen truck. I have also taken FJ80 masters out of customer's trucks and put V6 masters in to increase the brake performance so I know that bigger isn't always better.

The real reason for this topic is that I am building a truck for a customer right now that is getting Tacoma front brakes and a Tacoma booster, but he already has a FJ80 master and I am wondering what I will find when I install it; if the disc/disc FJ80 unit will perform as well as the disc/drum unit (out of the Tacoma) which I have on my own rig.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is a pic of the complete master/booster unit in my '83 Toyota. I had to move the clutch pedal assembly over an inch to get the booster to fit.

OSV

Adventurer
both the fj80 and the v6 masters are listed at marlin & tg as having 1" bores, so they should perform the same.

not sure about the tacoma.

I know for fact that the V6 master is smaller. I think it's 15/16. Maybe the term "V6" could use some clarifying on both ends. The '88 V6 is the truck I'm referring to.

Tacoma is 1". It's the residual valve, if any, I'm wondering about.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I know that the 80 series is a direct bolt in for the 80s pickups. Let me do some research. I think i have an old article on how to do it. they work great IF you have discs in the rear.

Expedition Leader
Common bolt-in upgrade for 40-series; haven't done it yet but going to. I can't see how it would an upgrade to a modern truck though.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fwiw there is really only one common FJ80 master cylinder. There are 3 commonly used FZJ80 master cylinders. So if they are advertising a FJ80 cylinder, it's likely the 60410 (OEM# 47201-60410) which is non-ABS, front disc (no residual valve) and rear drum (residual valve). The later FZJ stuff is going to be disc rear so no residual valve.

We stock all of the common US spec 80 Series offerings:

AISIN High Quality Japanese single reservoir master cylinder
(Fits 1/90'-8/92' FJ80)
Part# BKN60410N

AISIN High Quality Japanese single reservoir master cylinder.
(Fits 8/92'-5/94' FZJ80 Without ABS)
Part# BKN60540N

(Fits 8/92-1/95 FZJ80 W/ABS)
Part# BKN60550N

(Fits 1/95-1/98 FZJ80 W/ABS)
Part# BKN60551N

Dimensionally they are all very similar.

austintaco

Explorer
When I upgraded to IFS brakes on my 84 4runner, I swapped in the Master and booster from a 94 V6 4runner. My thought was that it was a matched system, and it has worked great. If I did it over again, I would look at using Tacoma brakes and IFS hubs so that changing a birf would be easier if needed.

As suspected, this is not a cut and dried topic. On this page alone, there are as many opinions as there are replies. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit...

Cruiseroutfit nailed it. The offroad retail stores call it a FJ80 master, which would make it a disc/drum master.

I have noticed that some of the popular retailers have now started offering "1" bore"master cylinders and have dropped the "FJ80" description.

bkg - No, my '83 does not have rear discs and I don't think I want them. Not for this one anyway. I really like the rear drums. I think they hold better on the rocks.

bkg

Explorer
bkg - No, my '83 does not have rear discs and I don't think I want them. Not for this one anyway. I really like the rear drums. I think they hold better on the rocks.

That certainly impacts the master selection. I don't disagree on the rear drums, especially with the masters you mentioned. Im running stock Tacoma master with wilwood fronts and mini truck fronts out back. Master is not ideal, so ill be following this thread closely.

Doc_

Sammich!
Basically everything I'd had in mind has been covered here: the rear drum residual valve is the hot piece.
I didn't know the Taco MC was a viable bolt-on, but it makes sense.

bjowett

Adventurer
There's also a 1 1/16" master cylinder with dual diaphragm booster from one of the T100 trucks. Good volume with plenty of booster to power it.

One other thing I want to clarify is the three aspects to brake performance.

1- Stopping power
2- Holding power
3- Pedal travel and feel

There have been times when I have thought that a truck's brakes were spot on only to have the customer tell me he doesn't like the pedal pressure. What affects pedal pressure? The master bore size. On one build, we tried 3 masters (of different sizes), 2 different boosters, installed a rear bias, firmer pads and slotted rotors all around before he was happy.

Pedal travel and feel, I think, are the key factors in brake performance. Travel is the key to the correct ratio between the master and calipers and is either right or wrong. Feel can be adjusted by booster performance and is subjective. There is no right or wrong here.

OSV

Adventurer
I know for fact that the V6 master is smaller. I think it's 15/16. Maybe the term "V6" could use some clarifying on both ends. The '88 V6 is the truck I'm referring to.

that would make sense, because i think that the v6 1" bore mc came out in 1990.

"Fits 1979-1995 Pickup/4Runner. Features 1" piston. Works with drum rear brakes. " https://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-v6-hilux-brake-master-cylinder

the 1" master for rear disc, not drum, is more expensive, and if you look at the page title, they are calling it fj80: " Master Cylinder features 1" piston and residual valves for both front and rear disc brakes. Can be used with disc or drum brakes." http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/master-cylinder-1-bore.html

toyota brake stuff is confusing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior