FJ62 Reimagined - Restoration - Modern Drivetrain - Stoffregen Motorsports

With both axles complete, chassis assembly began with the bare frame.

This pic shows the scavenged FJ80 suspension brackets on the FJ62 frame. Note the slip in slider mounts in front of the lower control arm brackets. These do double duty as slider mounts and a great place to lift the truck on a two post vehicle lift.

Rear axle first. This time we used Old Man Emu light duty springs.

At the front, the axle is located by radius arms from Delta Vehicle Systems. The original radius arms did not provide enough caster for this conversion, but the lifted radius arms solved that problem while keeping the frame bracket tucked nicely to the frame and utilizing standard bushings, not the offset caster bushings.

We weren't quite sure how the vehicle was going to sit, but all of our mock-ups showed that the original FJ80 coil springs might work out fine. We'll use them for now until the truck is complete with all weight applied and then assess the ride height.

ITTOG

Only in vain if you fail to keep it updated. Because we will be here.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I need to remind myself that the viewers here on ExPo are the silent type. Some forums get a lot of engagement, usually in the form of nit-picking or trolling, but here...it's a much more civil audience.

And wouldn't you know it, Photobucket is going through some changes this weekend. I was looking forward to updating the progress with a new batch of pics. If they get it sorted out soon, I have tons of new pics for y'all.

Here we go! Pics uploaded to Photobucket.

Now that the chassis is rolling, the drivetrain gets installed. I mentioned a while back that I make a spacer for the 4L85E transfer case adapter from Advance Adapters. This is done for a couple of reasons. 1- is to put the transfer case nearer it's original location to maintain the front driveshaft already too short length. I would love to move it further back, but space limitations on the body make that more trouble than it's worth. 2- the second reason for the spacer is to gain u-joint clearance at the transmission case/oil pan. AA suggests cutting into the aluminum casting of the transmission, but I think that's a ludicrous solution. Using the spacer means not cutting a brand new transmission.

One side benefit to this adapter is that you can now remove or install the t-case as a unit, without having to peel back the layers. To all of you who have ever done a trailside repair on the split case, this is huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles