FJ60 trailer build

wheelin62

Observer
Impressive! What's your plan for the rain gutter in the middle? Worry about that after the frame/hinges are done?

Not sure yet. I really want to get this thing rolling. I hope by then an idea will come to me for that. There are now so many little things to do, just want to get the big things done and go back to those after.
I thought if using the upper portion if the lift hatch to fill the gap, not sure yet.

wheelin62

Observer
Well this weekend was full of hinge making, or attempts, and tongue and hitch making. The roof section hinges still need work to clear the rear of the hood. I did though get the tongue and hitch made up and couldn't resist to tow the trailer around the block. :smiley_drive: I had a grin on my face from ear to ear.:wings: Need to find a 7/8 hitch pin to replace the bolt I used today.
The hinges are on hold right now, this week I want to take care of a lot of other key little things to get this thing closer to road worthy. On all counts, a very good weekend. :victory:

Attachments

• trailer 44.JPG
    trailer 44.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 45
  • trailer 45.JPG
    trailer 45.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 65
  • trailer 46.JPG
    trailer 46.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 62

Detour

Observer
thats quite a trailer!

i was just up in oak harbor picking up a fj hardtop a week ago. what a nice area! we hit that road side bbq on the way out. that right there was worth the trip :)

wheelin62

Observer
After a day of thinking and about 2 hours of determination, finally figured out the rear roof hatch and hinges. Also added some gas struts I had from another project.

Attachments

• trailer 49.JPG
    trailer 49.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 40
  • trailer 48.JPG
    trailer 48.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 18
  • trailer 47.JPG
    trailer 47.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 21
  • trailer 50.JPG
    trailer 50.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 27
  • trailer 51.JPG
    trailer 51.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 23

wheelin62

Observer
Awesome. Do you have a picture showing both sides open?

Unfortunately as of now both ends can't be open at the same time. It's due to how the hood hinge is and the way the roof hinge was made just to clear the hood. I could just trim the roof section way down to allow both to be opened together, but the gap that makes in the middle would be huge and I don't even know how to address the small gap I have now. I don't really foresee a need to have both open at the same time other than having the option to.

wheelin62

Observer
Well after a few long days of taking care on minor things on the trailer, got a lot done. Mounted the body, finished welding up the internal hinge frame, wired up the trailer and cruiser with 7pin connectors, installing the hood pull latch in the fuel door compartment, redoing the rear hatch latch and lock to work with the new setup. Was able to get the lower fenders welded together. Still more body work needed, but thats fine.

Most importantly I got it inspected and registered yesterday! :wings::wings:

Will be adding some 33's to it and wiring the other lights up this weekend along with hood lift shocks and more fine tuning of stuff.
attachment.php

wheelin62

Observer
Couple more pics. Was able to install hood lift struts last night. By far the easiest mod done to this thing. Works great. A little tough to close because they are 120lb struts, but when the tent goes on it will be better, might even have to go to 150lb ones. Ordering the side marker lights and tail light lenses, so will start running wire for those this weekend.

Attachments

• trailer hood release.jpg
    trailer hood release.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
  • trailer hood shock1.jpg
    trailer hood shock1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 23
  • trailer hood shock2.jpg
    trailer hood shock2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 25

cgalpin

Observer
Yeah I am waiting for heavier duty struts for my trailer lid too. I ordered bling stainless ones and they are back ordered. Might just get the much cheaper regular ones. Watching your build progress so quickly is making me want to finish mine :clapsmile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles