FJ60 trailer build

wheelin62

Observer
I started this build a couple weeks ago. I know there is a lot of trailers made out of 40 tubs, but I drive a 62, so why not make one out of a 60 body. So here is my build. Basic idea is the front end merged with the back. Working tail gate and hood, towed backwards with all the lights working and headlights replaced with trailer brake lights. Gas tank will still be used for additional gas. Hopefully it turn out ok.

Attachments

• trailer 2.JPG
    trailer 2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 61
  • trailer 6.JPG
    trailer 6.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 57
  • trailer 5.JPG
    trailer 5.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 59
  • trailer 7.JPG
    trailer 7.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 60
  • trailer 8.JPG
    trailer 8.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 63

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Interesting idea, it will certainly get a lot of looks going down the highway. Getting the weight distribution looks like it might be tricky having the axle center that far back (or forward depending on your reference).

-

wheelin62

Observer
Interesting idea, it will certainly get a lot of looks going down the highway. Getting the weight distribution looks like it might be tricky having the axle center that far back (or forward depending on your reference).

-

yes that has been in the back of my mind. That was one of the deciding factors of which way to tow it, having more tongue weight than having it all aft of the axle. And two, was better departure angle this way as well. We'll see what happens when it hits the road :D

fowldarr

Explorer
Have you ever been in a driving trance....flying down the highway oblivious to everything and look up and all of the suddent there is s semi truck facing you, your heart skips a beat, the you realize it's just a semi, hauling a semi? i think I'd have the same reaction to this trailer.

tuber

lol - can't say that's ever happened to me before. I try to keep my eyes on the road :smiley_drive:

Cool idea for a trailer though! Subscribed

Have you ever been in a driving trance....flying down the highway oblivious to everything and look up and all of the suddent there is s semi truck facing you, your heart skips a beat, the you realize it's just a semi, hauling a semi? i think I'd have the same reaction to this trailer.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
haha now that sure is somethin' else!

Some large round taillights in the headlight buckets would be mind-warping. :sombrero: Then switch the red and amber side markers and you're set!

Last edited:

wheelin62

Observer
Got some more done on the trailer. A lot of it was cutting metal behind panels to get things to fit right. Was able to fit the front end in place and cut and formed the rear wheel wells to match the front ones.

Attachments

• trailer 12.JPG
    trailer 12.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 43
  • trailer 11.JPG
    trailer 11.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 36
  • trailer 10.JPG
    trailer 10.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 38

wheelin62

Observer
Not sure yet, will probably just use a piece of sheet metal to cover it. Won't notice it really with the grill on. But that's more finishing touches really.

wheelin62

Observer
Started sectioning the fenders. The body lines on a 60 narrow 3/8" as they travel towards the rear. Doing this will make it look like one piece when finished. That's of course if my "beginner" sheet metal welding goes alright :D

Attachments

• fender 1.JPG
    fender 1.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 22

wheelin62

Observer
Finished sectioning the front fenders. Tested out my "beginner" sheet metal welding skills, or lack there of. Now the two body lines match up. Did some final measurements of the front end and hood placement to make sure things were "square". Next is cutting the rear body and weld in the front fenders and start building the internal frame for the hood supports.

Attachments

• fender2.JPG
    fender2.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 29
  • fender3.JPG
    fender3.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 29

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Definitely an interesting idea. Just curious why you didn't go the other way, and make the cargo area into the trailer, fab up a tailgate, and use the stock Brake/Tail/Turn lights? ...and the gas tank and spare tire holder are already back there...

wheelin62

Observer
Definitely an interesting idea. Just curious why you didn't go the other way, and make the cargo area into the trailer, fab up a tailgate, and use the stock Brake/Tail/Turn lights? ...and the gas tank and spare tire holder are already back there...

2 reasons. 1) It looks to much like a pickup bed sort of thing. When you chop it down to just what you said, you lose the FJ60 style. 2) Didn't think it had been done before and posed a unique challenge.

It is the rear cargo area, but with the front fenders in place of the rear doors. I am still keeping the gas tank in the original spot and the spare tire carrier underneath since it's based on the rear end of the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles