FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

Getting some parts ready for ceramic coating. Checking the welds on the coolant tube was probably a good idea. Better to find a leak now than after the coating has been sprayed.

Ends capped, schrader valve in one end, pump it up and dunk it in a bucket of water.

O2 sensor bungs welded in prior to coating as well.

Mounting the air filter and MAF sensor was fun. I like doing custom work, but I also like things to look "as the factory may have built it", so with that in mind, this is what I came up with. It will be coated in black to keep the engine bay from looking too hot-rodish.

Part of the air box was shared with the battery box. This beefed up the battery box and made the front wall of the air box. The battery hold down actually goes into the air box...!

First up, make the intake tube. I could have used silicon connectors at all joints, but that's lame, so I welded them together.

I employed another trick I use often. Whenever using a cone style filter, I drill into the end of it and build a bracket to support the end to keep it solidly in place.

Then I built the box around the filter. It's firmly mounted to the body, but at three corners, so it's going to flex. Strategic placement of the fasteners helps to ensure that it will flex a bit and not tear itself apart.

Here is the (mostly) finished product. Just need to send it out for coating.

It's designed to breathe cold fender well air, not to trap air, not designed to be completely sealed off, and not to trap water. If desired, we can attach a snorkel in the future and modify the box at that point to be completely sealed.

screwball48

Explorer
You say that you prefer items to look like "factory". Have you ever wondered if there is an assembly worker somewhere seeing your work and saying " I wish our work looked like his does".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've got a little down time here. The parts are out getting powder coated and I'm waiting to get the new, 38 gallon fuel tank from Man-A-Fre. It should be here soon.

Next up is fuel system. Once I get the tank, I need to mount the fuel pump in it and then plumb the system. Shouldn't be hard, but instead of the standard mounting for the pump, I'm going to machine a weld flange to weld into the tank. I always take the difficult path...

Tune in next week for fuel system finish, or big gassy mess.

Still waiting on the fuel tank.

Living in the country has its ups and downs. I got a call from UPS freight this morning and they wanted to schedule my delivery for next week. It's been a week already, from Las Vegas. That's frustrating.

I could have a fuel tank delivered to Siberia in less time...

Before I sent the parts to be powder coated, I had to make some adjustments to the air intake tube. It hit the upper radiator hose and also the hood insulation. A simple cutout of the insulation aleviated that problem, but I had to fab a notch for the aluminum tube.

Using the slip roll, I shaped a piece of aluminum for the patch then welded it in.

Here's the whole assembly for final fit.

While the stuff was out getting coated, I took the time to rebuild the front axle. Also in the mix was a set of clunky bumpstops that I felt I could improve upon. Didn't want to make a whole career out of it, but the solution was simple enough.

2x3 tubing with a small pad welded on top, cut to shape and then bolted to the spring plates with 3/8-24 hardware.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Good stuff.

The devil is in the details....like the little frenched section around the upper radiator hose.

My one criticism. With the Toyota base, and probably all of the GM engine, being metric. Any thought on trying to keep metric hardware on the little stuff like the bumpstop spacers? I am guessing that some of the axle stuff has already been changed over, but it was just a thought on the OCD level of details. I've been trying to do this on my new project. It is a pain. It does require that the fabricator have more tools/equipment. Sometimes it just isn't practical with easy to find parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94