FJ60 E-ROD Swap - SRMINT - Stoffregen Motorsports

bkg

Explorer
Matt - are you upgrading to tundra components with the brake swap, or staying with Tacoma? Just curious.

Fantastic work as always. After I win the lottery, I’m dropping off the doublecab. ?

Matt - are you upgrading to tundra components with the brake swap, or staying with Tacoma? Just curious.

Fantastic work as always. After I win the lottery, I’m dropping off the doublecab. ?

Thanks Brian.

I don't feel the need to go with the Tundra calipers. The Tacoma calipers work great.

That's a great link. I know there are two variants on the 80 series booster, one not being rebuildable, but it wouldn't matter if I used these, since they are pretty cheap. And OEM too? Wow, great price.

Thank you both.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Hey Matt, looking good. I spent part of my morning under a 60 body wearing a rain coat :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Great stuff, Keep it up.

Can you explain your process for marking the mandrel bend cut angle a little bit more?

Smileyshaun

Observer
as always just a amazing build , so clean and so detailed . if I ever win the lotto you will seeing me regularly lol

Except the part in the first post where he compares Land Cruisers to Fords! :eek:
Eh, a truck is a truck. It's what you do to the truck that makes it fun to own and drive.

Hey Matt, looking good. I spent part of my morning under a 60 body wearing a rain coat :)
Thanks Stan. I secretly love the cleaning process. It's a form of archaeology and always fun to discover what lies beneath.

Great stuff, Keep it up.
Can you explain your process for marking the mandrel bend cut angle a little bit more?

Thanks Brennan. The process for me is not much of a process at all. I do a lot of eyeballing and then take a few measurements. Transferring the angles to the mandrel bend is done on my work table with a large "square" I made from angle iron, which is clamped to the table. I mark the angle on the table with sharpie and then transfer the angle to the tubing for cutting. I don't do a lot of preparation for this. I just see it in my head and then chisel away everything that doesn't look like an exhaust.

If you've ever played pool, you will understand this analogy. You don't get out a protractor and tape measure to figure out how to get the 9 ball in the side pocket. You just know where to hit it.

Thanks to everyone else. You don't all need to win the lottery, just take out a second on your house...!

I have been making some serious progress lately. But no one could have told me how long it would take to get the catalytic converters to fit. I just wouldn't have believed it. All the associated plumbing and heat shields have taken up a lot of precious time. The passenger side was the most challenging. All of the plumbing that runs down the passenger side frame rail had to be reloacted to be away from the heat of the exhaust. And the resulting heat shield above the cats is a very tight fit.

I'll have progress pics up shortly.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I know. You can build almost any 4x4 into something cool. But that is quite the comparison! That said, I’d kill for a rustfree early Bronco!

NCFJ

Adventurer
Rust free EBs are about as easy to find as a rust free FJ55. Pretty much any old iron can be built into something special given the three key ingredients, time, money and the talent to pull it off. Matt's builds put all three together. It's not just 4X4s either. Resto Mods are hands down the hottest segment of the automotive market. People want old iron that drives like new. I am personally looking forward to building something that does not require a transfer case and live front axle :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles