FJ60 E-ROD Swap - SRMINT - Stoffregen Motorsports

LuisGW

I may have mentioned it before, maybe not in this thread, but certainly in others. Every job is different. That's the beauty of having custom work done. No two are the same.

Getting to use quality new components that have been carefully thought out and put into a kit was a very exciting feature of the E-ROD. This not being my first rodeo with V8's in FJ60's, I figured it would be a slam dunk. Man, that couldn't be further from the truth. So many little things make every day an adventure on this job. Yes, there are a lot of details that remain the same from the past installs, but nothing is so similar that I can just make templates for every bracket, tube, mount or hole. I figure there should be four templates for these builds (which I will strive to develop as I build more of these): one for truck engine with manual trans, one for truck with auto, one for car style with manual trans and another for car engine with auto. They all have their unique characteristics.

With that in mind, and most of the fabrication work done, the details are starting to fall into place.

One such detail is the bracket for the fuse panel. The fuse panel that came in this kit is of an OEM GM style and rather on the bulky side. But the interior space of the panel affords future upgrades with extra relay slots and large and small blade fuse slots. Going with my "should-look-like-factory" mantra, I got to work on a bracket that fit the space and looked like it may have come from Toyota.

The legs are splayed and bead rolled for extra strength and the OEM look.

I am curious as to make and model of the fuse/relay module here. I am looking for one for FJ60 build (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1983-fj60-land-cruiser-rebuild-and-upgrade.184087) I am doing but can't find anything bigger than 5 relay box this looks bigger. Thanks.

LuisGW

New driveshafts going in. I had to wait while the driveline shop (Adco Drivelines in Shingle Springs) sourced OEM u-joints. They are so much better than the Spicer replacements.

The figuring out what to do for the VSS. The company I buy them from had their machinist pass away, so they sold me what they could, but I was still missing the 17 tooth reluctor ring. My friend Jim Christiansen, former owner of Inchworm gear, cut me a steel reluctor ring on his water jet, but I had to form it into shape.

This is the finished reluctor ring, just before final installation.

Doing a little R&D. These throttle pedal brackets are going into limited production soon, along with a couple other time consuming brackets. I won't be selling them, but they will make my installations go much quicker.

How do you know how many tooth reluctor ring you need? I am putting in 5.3L vortec into 1983 FJ60.

Typically, GM uses 17 tooth for manual applications and 40 tooth for automatic. If your ECM came from a vehicle that was equipped with an auto trans, then it more than likely is using a 40 tooth count in the software. A lot of those variables are able to be changed, so if you have a good tuning guy, you can work around most issues.

I never did give this thread a proper finish, and I apologize for that.

The truck has been completed, has passed 50 state emissions certification and has been delivered to the customer who actually drives it. I will post more pics of the finished product. In the meantime, if you want to see more FJ60/62 LS swaps, check out my Instagram page "mstoffregen" or my Facebook page "Stoffregen Motorsports".

I am working on another FJ60 LS swap right now and have a major FJ62 re-imagining in the works, which should start in January, 2019. I will start a build thread for that one when we get underway.

Thanks to all and happy holidays.

Update - The owner of the FJ60 called recently and told me he is entertaining the idea of selling it. If anyone wants more info, I'd be glad to steer you in his direction.

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles