FJ60 Diesel Campteq Camper Build

T-Willy

:D:D:D:D
pJxHmfD.jpg

djJPy0b.jpg

zPhVXPo.jpg

h1MMf8k.jpg

B9my4Aj.jpg

Congrats on popping the top on this beauty. I have a 80 Series Campteq, and it's truly transformed the truck and our travel - alchemy. Enjoy!

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
Got some camping in at Baker Lake with the kids. My dreams of the 3 of us using this as a ski rig may need some retuning, we need to figure out a system to all be able to get changed and exist in there! I ended up sleeping downstairs with them up which was plenty of room.
I think to help alleviate the crowding:

-eventually going to a 70/30 bed platform that raises with struts like the alu-cab Hercules to make it easier to transition vice the sliding panels.
-frontrunner roof rack set up. Full length tracks, front 1/3 will be a full rack, and then 2 load bars in the back. Could keep some alu-boxes on the roof with stuff I won't use as much.
-I NEED a rear ladder setup. I want one that can mount to and fold up with the rear clamshell. I have seen these on FJ cruisers and whatnot so I know it can be done!

P5NOCxV.jpg

1UAF1pL.jpg

2BUPQte.jpg
[/url]

dcoy

Adventurer
Seeing your build gives me second thoughts about my "don't chop the top off a classic cruiser" edict.

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
Seeing your build gives me second thoughts about my "don't chop the top off a classic cruiser" edict.
Haha yeah, so so so many people told me not to. But I use my cruiser to climb and camp, and it takes me on long road trips every year. This has increased the utility of the vehicle, for what I do, by a ton. Ive had it for almost 12 years now and don't intend to sell so to me it was a no brainer. I like it better this way, and haven't looked back

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
Alright... random check from my insurance company sealed the deal. Frontrunner rack is on the way and just got my scheel Mann matching fabric for the rear bench delivered. She's all coming together...

Im trying to figure out the perfect winter setup for a family of 4 ski camping in parking lots. I have a Webasto for the inside so im thinking insulating the truck well, with either sheeps wool or thinsulate, and including some sort of magnetic window curtains. so that will be the sleep spot. Than for the hanging out portion I was dead set on an Alu-Cab shadow 270 awning with walls, big buddy heater to heat it all. But now im thinking an oz tent rv5 with the front walls and the same heater. Just need a place to cook and play games before hitting the hay in the truck. Any thoughts are welcome!

gungriffin

I am digging the build. I have reached out to Eric at points about doing a pop top. It is high on the list for future mods on my 100 series. Maybe I could ask a few questions now that you have some miles on the build. Is the wind noise at speed any worse than before? Any additional squeaks or rattles from the pop top? Does it feel like it changed the rigidity of the body when you are in tougher obstacles off road?

As for awnings, one of my favorite awnings I have found so far is the Equipt 2000. It is lighter in weight and it has a spring loaded retracting system for the awning material that makes it super easy to put away. I presently have the Shadow Awn. I probably wouldn't do it again. It is heavy so it can be tough to unmount and the weight is up high. It also isn't height adjustable because it doesn't use poles. Is if the rain is coming in sideways I cannot adjust the angle of the awning at all. Plus the price is quite high.

For a tent, I would go with something with the easy up style that is available now. It makes it a breeze to put up and saves a lot of time. Looks like the RV5 is that. I have thought about one of the Gazelle tents just because they are inexpensive. Plus they are popular so reselling would be easy if I don't like it.

ProwlerDriver

Adventurer
I am digging the build. I have reached out to Eric at points about doing a pop top. It is high on the list for future mods on my 100 series. Maybe I could ask a few questions now that you have some miles on the build. Is the wind noise at speed any worse than before? Any additional squeaks or rattles from the pop top? Does it feel like it changed the rigidity of the body when you are in tougher obstacles off road?

As for awnings, one of my favorite awnings I have found so far is the Equipt 2000. It is lighter in weight and it has a spring loaded retracting system for the awning material that makes it super easy to put away. I presently have the Shadow Awn. I probably wouldn't do it again. It is heavy so it can be tough to unmount and the weight is up high. It also isn't height adjustable because it doesn't use poles. Is if the rain is coming in sideways I cannot adjust the angle of the awning at all. Plus the price is quite high.

For a tent, I would go with something with the easy up style that is available now. It makes it a breeze to put up and saves a lot of time. Looks like the RV5 is that. I have thought about one of the Gazelle tents just because they are inexpensive. Plus they are popular so reselling would be easy if I don't like it.

Thanks for the tip on the equipt awning... I like that one a lot.

As far as the pop top, structural rigidity when closed seems the same. I don't rock crawl so im not sure with crazy body torsion going on what would happen. Wind noise and mileage did not really change. No rattles or anything... its pretty solid

umpqua

Observer
I like it and kudos on the work.

I still have my 62 and had I known about this a few years ago (not available) I might have pursued it. Went the troopy route instead with the pop top. A lot of room in the back of a troopy esp with the more straight sides. I still drive the 62 now and then and every time I do, I remember how much I continue to love that truck. It's like putting on an old pair of shoes. Love it.

Again, nice work and admire your dedication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles