FJ with a family of five plus dog

LTV_Chaos

So finally got the FJ I've always wanted. Has the rear locker and A-Trac so we're all set. Managed to get out for a long week this month and have the next three weeks lined up in either the desert or up in the mountains.

We're based in the UAE for another 1.5 years so I figured we'd go for it. Keeping it stock since we'll be headed stateside in summer 2022.

Right now it has the stock roof basket. We' mounted a ARB awning on it which works nice. Never had a vehicle with any roof capacity. Just throwing the tent and wood up there frees up some nice space. When we're loaded out we are at max capacity.

When we rotate back home I'll be purchasing either another FJ or a 5th Gen 4Runner. The add on will be the dog (he stayed in the States).

I'm thinking with our current loadout and a full sized roof rack I can make the FJ work back in the States. Figure the dog will take up about half the back. Everything else, really just clothes and recovery gear, will go up top.

Anyone have experience having that size family in a FJ? What I can't do is get both a FJ and 4Runner when we get back to CONUS (although it would be nice).

I know I have time but I'm always trying to think a few steps ahead so I can save up my money appropriately.

Thanks,

Pete

I used to take my family of 5 plus a dog out on trips in a 4Runner, and as our kids grew we just became too cramped for space. I threw as much gear as I could on the roof, but we were maxed out. Constantly climbing up and down to set up and tear down camp was kind of annoying, too. I solved my problem by getting into a Tundra. Slowly building it but I really love the space and power. I don’t do too many tight trails, so the size is only a positive for me. The big backseat and short bed are perfect for our needs.

Sorry I’m not much help; sounds like you’re not looking to buy a new truck!

LTV_Chaos

You're right. I'm not looking to buy a new truck. I thought about it but since I'm hoping to wind up in Colorado Springs. Hence the 4Runner or FJ.

Running out of space on the 4Runner is insightful though. Thanks for the info.

Pete

kdj

Observer
44D355AB-18D0-4325-953A-B6A8955F70F7.jpegI
It can be done. Been all over southeast and out west with family of 4, which at the time where teenager plus 46lbs dog. If I had it to do over, 4 runner. The fj is perfect now the boys are away at collage, for myself, wife and dog.

LTV_Chaos

View attachment 633872I
It can be done. Been all over southeast and out west with family of 4, which at the time where teenager plus 46lbs dog. If I had it to do over, 4 runner. The fj is perfect now the boys are away at collage, for myself, wife and dog.

Thanks. I've toyed with the idea of a trailer. Not sure how it would handle on the trails though. Seems like the trailer adds one extra layer of off road complexity. I've never towed much. Not a show stopper but I can learn and it's a consideration.

The biggest concern is that unlike a Jeep (which I've owned previously) the FJ is no longer made obviously. My youngest will be in the house for another 10 years. I'm in no rush for them to leave.

Thanks again for the input and ideas.

Pete

Hourless Life

Personally I'm a Jeeper and our main issue is payload capacity for which the Jeep as a platform is abysmal. I'm not sure what your payload capacity is in your FJ. But if I were you I would create a spreadsheet and start with your payload capacity, add the allowance that Toyota gives you for the driver. (For Jeeps they give a 150lb allowance) and then start adding every single item you carry to that spreadsheet including family, pets, water, extra fuel, recovery gear, tools, food, consumables, etc to that spreadsheet.

See how you are impacting your vehicle's safety and capability. Especially if you are fortunate enough to return stateside to Colorado.

Not trying to be a naysayer. Believe me we have done this ourselves with just a family of 3 and no pets, and it really starts to put into perspective if you are in the right vehicle for the lifestyle. Just my .02 but I wish you and your family the very best! ~ Eric

You're right. I'm not looking to buy a new truck. I thought about it but since I'm hoping to wind up in Colorado Springs. Hence the 4Runner or FJ.

Running out of space on the 4Runner is insightful though. Thanks for the info.

Pete

It worked best for us when we approached it as if we were backpacking (read: packing very light). I kept three Plano 1719 trunks in the back along with our cooler. One held our Marmot Halo 6, one held our entire camp kitchen and fire starting supplies, and the last had a large tarp and some of our sleeping pads. The rest of our sleeping gear and camp chairs went in around the rest, and I kept it all in the back with a Raingler net.

Attachments

• 6DBC15AA-B28E-4E93-8D9C-EEC9113A2817.jpeg
    6DBC15AA-B28E-4E93-8D9C-EEC9113A2817.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles