FJ vs Tacoma

p nut

butter
I like both...sure the Tacoma has 100X the aftermarket support, but how much crap do you really need to hang off it? ;) Both the Tacoma and the Tundra need better fuel economy though...The Tundra in the low 20's and the Taco in the high 20's...as they sit right now is fairly dismal.

What is available aftermarket for the Tundra isn't too shabby..

Yup, agreed on your point, but then again, if "needs" are all we need to fulfill, what are any of us doing here? :)

By the way, I don't know about Dodge, but my client's Ecoboost 4WD gets over 20mpg. I think does better than my 100 while towing a big load. Pretty shameful for a midsize truck to be getting the same MPG.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yup, agreed on your point, but then again, if "needs" are all we need to fulfill, what are any of us doing here? :)

LOL. Yup, I sure do like to look at all the gear. My Taco is pretty basic...I have become a frugal SOB in my old age...I always go "Wow, that such and such is cool!...and then
my Ebenezer part of my brain takes over...you really don't need that" ;)

By the way, I don't know about Dodge, but my client's Ecoboost 4WD gets over 20mpg. I think does better than my 100 while towing a big load. Pretty shameful for a midsize truck to be getting the same MPG.

My dirt bike buddy's plain jane bone stock F150 4WD with the 5.0 does 20 mpg...it just doesn't have the power of the Eco-Boost...he doesn't really need it though. Honestly, I thought the basic 5.0 was more than enough power.

Toyota seems to all about with great fuel economy with their cars...not sure why they can't get their trucks on board...the other manufactures are doing it.

CYK

Adventurer
Lol your guy's mpg claims going by sticker. Always optimistic.

Like I said even 20 doesn't cut it. The new fords went on an aggressive aluminum based weight reduction program and had to resort to turbo engines. They're inherently not as reliable as na.

Toyota is a conservative company by design. That's why they consistently top reliability rankings.

It is not easy to increase mpg without major weight reduction payoff while still maintaining current reliability and durability goals that T is known for.

They'll come through but tho coal Toyota slow to the draw.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Toyota is waiting closer to 2016 to make changes to increase their MPG. Other makes are just getting ahead of the game
How is a 1980s truck get 20 plus mpg with 100hp compared to today's 2-300hp trucks. Makes me wonder if that 200 hp engine in a 1980s truck would get 40 or more mpg. Weight is an issue and safety standards keep going up. Majority of Americans want huge vehicles and don't care for MPG. We have to much room to roam to have the need for a tiny fiat lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Toyota is waiting closer to 2016 to make changes to increase their MPG. Other makes are just getting ahead of the game
How is a 1980s truck get 20 plus mpg with 100hp compared to today's 2-300hp trucks. Makes me wonder if that 200 hp engine in a 1980s truck would get 40 or more mpg. Weight is an issue and safety standards keep going up. Majority of Americans want huge vehicles and don't care for MPG. We have to much room to roam to have the need for a tiny fiat lol.

Having owned one of those 80's Toyota trucks that got 25mpg I can tell you:

Small size, paper thin sheetmetal and no frivolous luxuries like a/c, auto transmissions, air bags, side impact beams or power steering.

A vehicle like that wouldn't even be legal to sell in the USA today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Lol your guy's mpg claims going by sticker. Always optimistic.

Like I said even 20 doesn't cut it. The new fords went on an aggressive aluminum based weight reduction program and had to resort to turbo engines. They're inherently not as reliable as na.

It is good to be optimistic...I am willing to bet the Ram diesel will get get a solid 25, even 4WD. Now you go throwing a bunch of crap on it, sure the fuel consumption will go up.

Martinjmpr said:
Having owned one of those 80's Toyota trucks that got 25mpg I can tell you:

Small size, paper thin sheetmetal and no frivolous luxuries like a/c, auto transmissions, air bags, side impact beams or power steering.

A vehicle like that wouldn't even be legal to sell in the USA today.

Have you looked a Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit? Those things are tin cans...

All the Tacoma needs, is a diesel. As CMYK mentioned...start lightening them
up wouldn't be unheard of getting into the 30's.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have you looked a Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit? Those things are tin cans...

They get great MPG, too. What's your point?

All the Tacoma needs, is a diesel. As CMYK mentioned...start lightening them
up wouldn't be unheard of getting into the 30's.

The question is, what would it cost Toyota to bring that ROW diesel up to US emissions specs? A lot, would be my guess. And bringing it up to US specs could diminish its MPG. Diminish it far enough and the increased MPG won't make up for the higher cost of fuel (to say nothing of the increased cost of the diesel engine itself.)

If anybody could make a small diesel work, Toyota can, but I'm not convinced that anyone can in the current US market. Furthermore, I don't see why they'd need to take the risk since they already own the small truck market here.

Aussie T

Overland Journal Ringin
I know we are currently way off topic.

But having spent much of my life around diesels, I can tell you that they do have some very fuel efficient diesels. For example the Volkswagen Amarock (you guys dont get it in the US but it is the equivalent of a Tacoma) runs a 2L twin turbo diesel that meets Euro 5 emissions (not sure what the US plan for emissions are, but Euro5 is the highest standard I know of) that runs around 25 mpg, real world. Despite the fact it is only a 2L engine, it well and truly does the job.

The current diesel engine that Toyota use a lot in Australia, particularly in the Hilux and Prado is a rather old engine so I would think it would be better for them to develop something new to meet increasing emissions specs world wide.

Also why not consider something like the 4Runner (not having them in Aus I dont know how they drive) but I could see it being good if you like the idea of an FJ but want a touch more room.

Troy

Clutch

<---Pass
They get great MPG, too. What's your point?

You're saying a tin can [the old 80's HiLux] wouldn't be legal to sale today...well, the tin can Yaris is legal...

The question is, what would it cost Toyota to bring that ROW diesel up to US emissions specs? A lot, would be my guess. And bringing it up to US specs could diminish its MPG. Diminish it far enough and the increased MPG won't make up for the higher cost of fuel (to say nothing of the increased cost of the diesel engine itself.)

Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, are doing it....to name a few.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Go for a Tacoma. If you don't need four doors get the access cab. My fairly stock taco has been all over the San Juans of Colorado, Sierras, Tahoe, and various deserts of the southwest and done just fine.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
There's a difference between having an aftermarket and having competition in the aftermarket. The difference is price. See 80-series Land Cruiser.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
It's been found that the yaris doesn't meet crash safety standards and I'm pretty sure they stopped making them. It's gonna get replaced but by something made by Mazda and labeled Toyota. BMW is also gonna be making toyotas new "super" sports car.

CDMartin

Suffering Fools
I had an 06 Taco, now I have 12 FJ . The FJ is great, but I wish I had another Taco. Better for expeditioning, more space for gear. I had a double cab with a short bed and Leer topper, bull bar, winch, sliders, and roof rack.

My 06 had 300K when I traded it in, if I had it to over again, I would have bought another Taco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The Tacoma platform has more versatility for sure. I think the advantage of an FJC is that it needs less things to be capable on the trail. If you can make the space work (which is actually a couple of cubic feet more than a JKU for reference), it works great. The hallmark of a great overland vehicle in my eyes is one that needs the fewest "upgrades" from stock. Land Cruisers are great for their durability and build standard, the FJC with its shorter wheelbase needs left lift and tire size to do the same stuff as a longer wheelbase vehicle. Its nice having such good options in the NA market as the 80 and 100 series as well as the Taco FJC. Some solid options to suit your needs.

CYK

Adventurer
What about the 200? A bit biased :)

http://youtu.be/urwOhM-yqSU

I think diesel tech is mistimed for the us buyer. They're inherently less clean than petrol engines by double digit percentages even with the vast improvements in diesel emissions.

My bet is manufacturers will continue to shove in smaller displacement turbo engines moving forward to meet fed reqs. They've already begun with sedans.

If you guys have ever traveled abroad and visited the likes of rome, Madrid etc you'd be amazed at the disgusting diesel fumes there. Soot all over buildings. Thank goodness we avoided that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles