FJ vs Tacoma

Clutch

<---Pass
My thought is, if you need something that big, just get a Tundra.

Pretty much...IIRC the rear seat legroom on the DC Tundra is 2" more...plus you get a wider and longer box, more power, better capacity. Sure the mpg is a little less...but big deal.

Clutch

<---Pass
Except the Tacoma has 100x the aftermarket support, and gets better MPG. And it sure doesn't feel as big, either.

I like both...sure the Tacoma has 100X the aftermarket support, but how much crap do you really need to hang off it? ;) Both the Tacoma and the Tundra need better fuel economy though...The Tundra in the low 20's and the Taco in the high 20's...as they sit right now is fairly dismal.

What is available aftermarket for the Tundra isn't too shabby...

1896906_10152246721892248_1211177981_n.jpg

otis24

Observer
Both the Tacoma and the Tundra need better fuel economy though...The Tundra in the low 20's and the Taco in the high 20's...as they sit right now is fairly dismal.

I wish my Tacoma got low 20's let alone upper 20's.
More like upper teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
I own and FJ and have been on plenty of adventures with both the Tacoma and the FJ. Like any other tool selection it depends on what you want to do with it. I have hauled my daughter and two grand daughters on several long off road trips and had no issues other than having to learn how to pack the truck perfectly. If you can play Tetris then you can pack the FJ! :) Doing so a couple of times lead me to starting to build an off road tear drop. There are several good sleep platform builds out there but doing that you end up having to unpack the truck every night.

CYK

Adventurer
I like both...sure the Tacoma has 100X the aftermarket support, but how much crap do you really need to hang off it? ;) Both the Tacoma and the Tundra need better fuel economy though...The Tundra in the low 20's and the Taco in the high 20's...as they sit right now is fairly dismal.

What is available aftermarket for the Tundra isn't too shabby...

1896906_10152246721892248_1211177981_n.jpg

No body on frame truck nets real world 2x mpg. Until they come out en force with new hybrid/electric tech coupled with carbon reinforced plastic that's as durable as good ol steel, I'll take the regular unleaded 13-15 mpg 2 ton beast as is. You see range rover committing itself to the well heeled mall crawling demographic with its all aluminum lifted sedan setup heretofore. In 20 years we have to see 50+ mpg per the Feds.

As for that tundra, that's like $20+ grand worth of custom mods.

Clutch

<---Pass
No body on frame truck nets real world 2x mpg. Until they come out en force with new hybrid/electric tech coupled with carbon reinforced plastic that's as durable as good ol steel, I'll take the regular unleaded 13-15 mpg 2 ton beast as is. You see range rover committing itself to the well heeled mall crawling demographic with its all aluminum lifted sedan setup heretofore. In 20 years we have to see 50+ mpg per the Feds.

No need to get over complicated or exotic materials...just toss in a diesel. That new Ram will get 20's...diesel body on frame HiLux averages 25...no reason a Tacoma [or Tundra] can't do the same.

As for that tundra, that's like $20+ grand worth of custom mods.

A lot of that is bolt-on...not too much welding...shock hoops and what not are already fabbed up....all you have to do is put them on. Seems like there is this misconception, that there isn't much aftermarket for the Tundra..I dunno seems like there is plenty to me...from a mild spacer lift to full tilt boogie long travel.

Camburg

CYK

Adventurer
No need to get over complicated or exotic materials...just toss in a diesel. That new Ram will get 20's...diesel body on frame HiLux averages 25...no reason a Tacoma [or Tundra] can't do the same.

A lot of that is bolt-on...not too much welding...shock hoops and what not are already fabbed up....all you have to do is put them on. Seems like there is this misconception, that there isn't much aftermarket for the Tundra..I dunno seems like there is plenty to me...from a mild spacer lift to full tilt boogie long travel.

Camburg

If it were only that simpleton. Diesel has been around a long time. It's no magic formula for 5000lbs + vehicles. 20s isn't even good enough. Advanced materials will have to trickle downmarket. Weight kills all.

When you actually do it, the dollars add up quick. That tundra is an expensive build and it looks like a tire company sponsored it.

Clutch

<---Pass
If it were only that simpleton. Diesel has been around a long time. It's no magic formula for 5000lbs + vehicles. 20s isn't even good enough. Advanced materials will have to trickle downmarket. Weight kills all.

Sure it is...we can have 20+ mpgs right now, today... if they really wanted to. heck...we are getting it "right now" Ram is doing it, Chevy & Ford by 2016...yet Toyota keeps on dragging their feet.

That tundra is an expensive build and it looks like a tire company sponsored it.

That is pro surfer Timmy Reyes' truck

...it is only money, money doesn't even really exist. ;) :D

timmy-reyes.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sure it is...we can have 20+ mpgs right now, today... if they really wanted to. heck...we are getting it "right now" Ram is doing it, Chevy & Ford by 2016...yet Toyota keeps on dragging their feet.

Ford and Ram are getting 20mpg?

With 4wd? Color me skeptical.

Yeah, I've seen the "best MPG" ads on TV, too. Stripped 2wd truck with street-only low profile tires, nothing in the bed and driven under ideal circumstances? Sure, I can believe that. Hell, I've gotten 23mpg in my 4runner. ONCE. Of course, that was driving either flat roads or gently downsloping, holding the speed under 60mph. So it can be done.

But once you start adding big tires, a roof rack, a lift, and armor, 20mpg goes right out the window.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ford and Ram are getting 20mpg?

With 4wd? Color me skeptical.

Yeah, I've seen the "best MPG" ads on TV, too. Stripped 2wd truck with street-only low profile tires, nothing in the bed and driven under ideal circumstances? Sure, I can believe that. Hell, I've gotten 23mpg in my 4runner. ONCE. Of course, that was driving either flat roads or gently downsloping, holding the speed under 60mph. So it can be done.

But once you start adding big tires, a roof rack, a lift, and armor, 20mpg goes right out the window.

Man, you guys are pessimists! :p

I do not watch television...going off the EPA's data.

I can get 21-23 hwy with Tacoma...I generally average 17-18 in town. Have a 2.5" lift and one size bigger than stock tires. All I do is drive the speed limit, and don't race stop light to stop light.Diesel HiLuxes average 20's, nothing special about them.

No one says you have to hang a bunch of crap off the truck either...leave it stock. Most builds on here are over-kill. Isn't it better to start with a vehicle that gets good fuel economy if you do hang a bunch of crap off it anyways?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior