FJ ROCKS ARIZONA (FJ Cruiser Team Run) Saturday, June 10th

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Brady Clarke of Toyota's FJ Cruiser Trail Team will be visiting Arizona, and I've planned a trail run for his team for Saturday June 10th.

This run will be posted on Toyota America's FJ Cruiser "Trail Teams" website at: www.toyota.com/fjtrailteams

This event will be open to ALL VEHICLES with 2-speed transfer cases. Come on out, see the FJ Cruiser go, and show off your brand's rig.

Our plan is to run a cooler trail (for obvious reasons). In case of Prescott National Forest closures due to fire danger, we'll have backup plans in place (both other forest, and non-forest areas).

The main supporters of this event are the Arizona Land Cruiser Association and Arizona Copperstate Cruiser Club with additional support from Expedition Portal members.

I will also be writing a story for this event for submission into a popular Toyota-brand magazine. You never know who's rig will make the mag!

TRIP DETAILS:

Event name: FJ ROCKS ARIZONA

Event date: Saturday, June 10th

Event trail: DeSoto Mine

Trail leader: Steve Schaefer (3rd Gen 4Runner w'SAS)

Meeting place: Circle K in the Town of Mayer (7 miles NW of Cordes Jct. on AZ69 toward Prescott)

Meeting time: 9:00 AM, with a pullout of 9:30 SHARP

Event duration: 4-5 hours (for trail and play time)

Trail difficulty: 3.0+ (with 3.5+ options)

Should all of the nearby-to-Phoenix forests close due to fire danger, the non-forest backup will be RAW DEAL (in the same area of AZ) which will be more difficult, in the arena of a 3.5+.

Check back to this original post for more details. COME ON OUT AND SEE THE FJ CRUISER TEAM DURING THEIR ONLY PLANNED STOP TO ARIZONA!

Last edited:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Sounds like a fun event!! Hopefully I'll be able to make it up there with my Toyota vehicle
:victory:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Does it HAVE to be Toyota vehicles? What about Isuzu:rolleyes: ? I would love to do this, but I don't own a Toyota.:eek:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
datrupr said:
Does it HAVE to be Toyota vehicles? What about Isuzu:rolleyes: ? I would love to do this, but I don't own a Toyota.:eek:

OH MAN! I PUT THAT OUT TOOOO FAST! NO NO! THAT IS WRONGGGGG! ALL 4WD VEHICLES! I WILL CORRECT ALL MY SITE THIS MORNING! THANK YOU!!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Man, I was having fun giving you crap about your elitist attitude! I guess I gotta find something else to give someone crap about now. You aren't making it easy on me!:ylsmoke:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I'll be there - that's in my back yard...

If it's OK, I'll try to get the local Toy Dealer on board - Bob (Raz) Rasmussen, the Fleet Manager at Tim's Toyota, is interested in getting his FJ out for a day, and I'd already sugested Smiley Rock as an opportunity.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
goodtimes said:
Man, I was having fun giving you crap about your elitist attitude! I guess I gotta find something else to give someone crap about now. You aren't making it easy on me!:ylsmoke:

I'll be there in my "Toyota UZJ100 Rubicon Edition". OK, NOW.....you have something to give me "crap" about.

You better come. :gunt:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am going to try to make it. I am pretty confident that I can. This should be alot of fun.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
John,
This sounds great!
I would love to get a few minutes behind the wheel of the new FJ.:gunt: :jumping:

I am planning to attend, Smiley Rock is on my list!

Thanks for organizing:bowdown:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Brady Clarke of the FJ Team has asked that we opt for the Crown King Backroad Trail due to all the added "options" that it offers. I've updated the first post along with meeting place and times.

Other options we're considering (in case of closures):

Coronado NF:
Chiva Falls
Charouleau Gap

Tonto NF:
Powerline/Hackberry
Upper Sycamore

Non NF:
Raw Deal
Florence area

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Answer to a question from a Cruiser forum:

goodtimes said:
John, I'm sure you are already aware (being you live here and all), but expect triple digits if you are anywhere around tucson or Florence....it'll be a fuggin hot day if we stay at lower elevations.

Speaking of elevation...how far up is CK? (I've never ran the trail).

Oh yes....though June is when they'll be here. Smiley Rock at 7000+ is the temp spot though they prefer to go where there's challenge.

I'll be calling the NF's in a week or so to see what they say about possible closures. At that time we'll stick with CK or move where closures may not happen. Usually the Coronado closes after the others so 4000' Chiva might be the final destination.

After those calls the final decision will be made and we won't change it so people can firm up plans.

seth_js

Explorer
ShottsCruisers said:
Smiley Rock at 7000+ is the temp spot though they prefer to go where there's challenge.

There really isn't anything challenging about CK any more (not that there really ever was). They have recently graded anything that was left that had any sort of a challenge to it.

If the Toyota guys aren't concerned about the heat, I would take them out to FJ. And if that's the case, count me in. :D

-Seth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz