FJ Cruiser Snorkel (To do or not to do...)

Hoss86

Observer
I have a question. I'm slowly modifying a FJ Cruiser and like to do modifications here and there. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add a snorkel even though it still needs alot before expedition worthy. Would this decrease my gas mileage as a daily driver? Should I wait till later? I'm trying to increase gas mileage and thought intake and exhaust would come first before lift, tires, gears, and other modifications that I know would decrease my mileage on my daily commute. Thanks

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hoss86 said:
I have a question. I'm slowly modifying a FJ Cruiser and like to do modifications here and there. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add a snorkel even though it still needs alot before expedition worthy. Would this decrease my gas mileage as a daily driver? Should I wait till later? I'm trying to increase gas mileage and thought intake and exhaust would come first before lift, tires, gears, and other modifications that I know would decrease my mileage on my daily commute. Thanks

here on the forum you could contact Shadow-Warrior as he added a snorkel to his FJ
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12468

20.jpg

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...15-arb-safari-snorkel-cai-install-w-pics.html

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hoss86 said:

personally, i think protecting your vehicles most-needed, most-expensive, most-vulnerable part (the engine) with a simple $400.00 upgrade is a no-brainer.

its like having a fire extinguisher in your house.

you might never see water high enough to use the snorkel, but there's always that one mud puddle or river crossing that seems fine....but turns out to be a bit too deep.

I hydrolocked and destroyed the engine in my 4runner in a water obstacle 1.5 ft deep. i hit it too hard and my engine sucked it up.

two weeks later after 4 oil changes, my engine exploded on the 5 freeway.

better driving skills and a snorkel would have completely insulated me from the problem and i'd probably still have that rig.

my .02 cents

DaveM

Explorer
BIGdaddy said:
better driving skills and a snorkel would have completely insulated me from the problem and i'd probably still have that rig.

my .02 cents

The real question is would better driving skills alone have protected you and your rig? The answer to that is usually yes since the option to not cross water or wade it first is always there. I don't think the snorkel should be treated as engine insurance as much as just another piece of kit. The real insurance starts with the driver. I'd say the snorkel is more like a pair of heavy duty BBQ gloves than a fire extinguisher. Do you BBQ a lot? Then maybe you need some gloves. Don't have a BBQ? Probably don't need the gloves ;)

targa88

Explorer
Snorkel

Water is not the only reason for a snorkel.
There is also a benefit when you are on a dusty trail.
Potential effects of cooler air/ram jet into the engine might improve some efficiencies also.

That being said it would not be the first $$$ spent on modifying the FJC.
Then there is also the notion of boring a 4 inch whole in the side of your front fender.....

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
DaveM said:
The real question is would better driving skills alone have protected you and your rig? The answer to that is usually yes since the option to not cross water or wade it first is always there. I don't think the snorkel should be treated as engine insurance as much as just another piece of kit. The real insurance starts with the driver. I'd say the snorkel is more like a pair of heavy duty BBQ gloves than a fire extinguisher. Do you BBQ a lot? Then maybe you need some gloves. Don't have a BBQ? Probably don't need the gloves ;)

the entry was about 2-3ft deep, and very steep and was probably where it ingested the water.

so my answer is no, driving skill alone wouldn't have solved the situation. nor will i say that a vehicle is completely bullet(water)proof with just a snorkle.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
DaveM said:

What if you have to cross? (cannot really turn around, cannot wait for the water level to drop) You get out of the vehicle and the water depth is above your vehicle's safe limit and no amount of driving skill is liable to help.

If I thought that this was going to happen on a trip then I would get a snorkel or cancel any such trips.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I say do it if you want...plus...drilling a 4" hole in a $30K vehicle is just too much fun! :elkgrin:

I'm waiting on a snorkle from Brazil....

-H-

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
For $380.85 IMO if it were mine it would be well worth the money. 1.) I love the looks of a snorkel. 2.) They are what has been coined FARKLE (Functional bling) in the snorkel wars thread. 3.) They offer more air flow to the stock engine compartment. 4.) They reduce the chance of hydrolocking the engine. 5.) Did I mention I like mine? 6.) Work well in dusty conditions. 7.) Ram can be rotated and removed, and a pre-cleaner can be added.

DaveM

Explorer
teotwaki said:
What if you have to cross? (cannot really turn around, cannot wait for the water level to drop) You get out of the vehicle and the water depth is above your vehicle's safe limit and no amount of driving skill is liable to help.

If I thought that this was going to happen on a trip then I would get a snorkel or cancel any such trips.

Which is why I advocate taking a good long look at how you drive now and where you plan to go in the future before just slapping a snorkel on there. My belief is that (for most of us) you will never end up in a "need" to cross scenario in your average N. American back country trip. I know there are a lot people on here who will disagree (especially you guys in Alaska), but I still think it's almost always avoidable. Avoidance may not seem to mesh with the ideal of back-country travel and I have nothing against seeking out challenging situations and using your vehicle to meet those challenges, but just getting a snorkel because you 'might' get into trouble one day seems frivolous.

For me, if I see one or two water crossings a year I'd rather be cautions about my crossings than spend the $$. I fI lived in S. America or Alaska where I might be doing more travel in wet areas and with a greater threat of being cut off by rising water, I'd go for it. But thats just me.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There is a huge thread on the subject floating around somewhere. IMO, 99.9% of the snorkels out there are not needed, and never will be. Sure, some people are wise to have them, the rest just want to look cool at the mall.

Your rig, your call.

DaveM

Explorer
BIGdaddy said:
the entry was about 2-3ft deep, and very steep and was probably where it ingested the water.

so my answer is no, driving skill alone wouldn't have solved the situation. nor will i say that a vehicle is completely bullet(water)proof with just a snorkle.

I disagree. Getting out of your vehicle to check the water depth would have saved your rig. You had the option to not cross, of find another spot to cross. I'm not picking on you, I know most people don't drive that cautiously. I'm just saying there is almost always another option to just plugging headlong into water without knowing what your getting into.

If $400 is not too much to spend on your rig for peace of mind, than stopping on the side of the trail for a couple minutes to check your route should be no big deal either... and its free!

Hoss86

Observer
Thanks guys for all your input! Thank teotwaki for the link to the awesome FJ. I'll be pming him about his rig. I live in the Hill Country here in Texas (San Antonio and Austin) and we do have flash floods in the summer that really suck and most of the rural roads get flooded. I know better not to try and make it across, but there are some spots that you have to cross. Here is a picture next to the church I go to. It's not my picture, but it the same area where I've had to cross before I was stranded. I guess the snorkel will be more than a "just-in-case" and an excuse so I can start my expedition rig build piece by piece. Thanks guys

656600250_fe0cc8125f_m.jpg

656623110_c7b34a1cec_m.jpg

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I will be adding a snorkel to my truck eventually. it's not particularly high on the list. and i won't be adding it for the water aspect, i'll be adding it for the cooler cleaner air. I have a buddy with a rover he has put about 20,000miles on since his snorkel and his air cleaner looks like it was just taken out of the box. And we drive a lot of back dusty roads. so ultimately it's your call. If you're adding it for the H2O aspect remember it's only part of the system. Start going through your entire system and make sure everything else is water tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles