FJ Cruiser Snorkel (To do or not to do...)

DBS311

Adventurer
Denvertaco said:
Snorkel- Yawn! maybe a drag chute too - you know "just in case"! lol
That actually made me laugh.

As far as a snorkel adding a "ram air" effect, I think it's a bunch of crap. I had ZERO difference in power and mileage when I added my snorkel. Usually that is a justification for some to convince themselves they need a snorkel. I've had mine on for like 10 years now and have only used it once, and it wasn't because I was on a trail and had no other option but to cross. I went out during a 3 day downpour and LOOKED for deep water. It works as advertised provided you H2O proof all other components.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
If I may chime in here, as a non-Toy owner - I had my PCM tuned by Black Bear Performance both before and after I had built my snorkel for my Tahoe. (which, by the way, I built mostly for the challenge of seeing if I could make one work for the Tahoe, as noone makes it for me. secondary was the safety in crossing water, etc etc) BBT actually plugs into the computer and goes riding with you, evaluating the engine and adjusting things as needed. At idle, the PCM runs a bit rich breathing the snorkel. But, as speed increases, the airflow crams on into the box and things do change. To quote Justin : it really takes off at 3,000 RPMs. So, I presume there to be a something of an effect from swallowing all that air that is coming in at speed.

So, the snorkel does help a V8 engine.

As an aside- the 'gee wiz aint that cool' reaction to the snorkel has been entertaining. I have had total strangers walk up to me to comment on my rig since I put the snorkel on. Kind of funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles