FJ Cruiser or Tacoma for Touring

Strider

Observer
I would go with the FJ simply because you like it more. You'll take it out more and enjoy it more than the Tacoma.... as long as you aren't worried about it breaking.
I'd suggest giving it a proper once over, new fluids everywhere and maybe a belt or two. New brakes, new tie rod ends, new seals, etc. Basically, treat it as an old FJ you just bought. Then build the rest up!

Now then... I have a quick question. What all issues have you had with your JK? I (knock on wood) haven't had any issues with our '16 JKUR, currently at 75k miles, and am curious what year yours is, mileage, etc.
Similarly, I LOVE driving our Jeep on tips but the 4Runner is realistically more comfortable and is still quite capable. Especially considering we travel like you with a lot of pavement and, unfortunately, only some dirt.

Sorry its taken so long to answer.
I am working on the FJC first. May as well since I already bought the ARB Bullbar and winch, and it already has an OME suspension.

As far as the Jeep JK: shredded tranny out of the blue. Vehicle is on road only, no off road. Death wobble, engine leaking water and oil from three places, door locks stopped working, heater doesn't work right, loose exhaust amnifold (even after fix), burns oil like crazy, and other issues. I had a friend who changed the oil all the time and his JK burned it up, engine seized, and dealer wouldn't honor warranty.
I will not but a new Jeep again. I do not believe they are well built or even remotely reliable.

Strider

Observer
Just want to report that this week I ran my Taco across Fins 'N Things in Moab and didn't bypass a single obstacle! Came away with only one small scar on my rear bumper (the hitch skid took most of the abuse on the sharp departures). That's with only a 2ish inch lift and 275/70/17s.

And it got me there and back comfortably with my camper in tow!

Don't doubt the capabilities of a Tacoma! :)

Best pic we got since we were following a guide and didn't have much time for photos...
View attachment 667481
I agree. I have off roaded with my Tacoma a few times and it does very, very well.

Strider

Observer
My 2020 Tacoma has more official payload than my 2016 Ram 1500 diesel but way less space. Fullsized 150 / 1500 level trucks have always been categorized as 1/2 ton trucks while heavy duty are 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks. Doesn't mean that cannot all carry more, but doing it safely is the key. I think it's actually impressive that the Tacoma is over 1000. Our midsized trucks are not the same as those from other continents like the real Hilux, which are made to fill the roles of our full sized trucks but fit on smaller roads.

No matter what, the Tacomas are great vehicles. I think we can get caught up in the kitchen sink mentality: taking so much crap that we are way overloaded. I have been going back to my method from when I drove my little Jeep TJ: go light. I figure if I have been able to eat well and be comfortable (relatively speaking) while backpacking, then a vehicle should offer a tremendous opportunity to stay light yet have a little more comfort: even on a motorcycle.

A small trailer also provides the extra capacity for more fuel etc. if on a long expedition, although it does limit some off-roadibility. But then, I am not interested in really gnarly trails anyway.

If backpacking I take a small stove and a couple of pots, then in a Tacoma or my FJ I can add a two burner, maybe an extra pot, and more variety of food and drink with a fridge. I don't need the kitchen setup of a restaurant.

If I could have just one vehicle it would be a Land Cruiser Troopy, but they are not available here except older ones. I may look into one in the future, but the parts availability for something like a 1HZ is a concern.

Last edited:

LTV_Chaos

Agree with you on the FJ. The space forces us to be judicious in what we take. Kind of streamlines the process. We use our FJ with a family of five. Have to stop for food probably a little more frequently but allows us opportunities to check out small villages and towns we would probably normally bypass.

Pete

FleshEater

No matter what, the Tacomas are great vehicles. I think we can get caught up in the kitchen sink mentality: taking so much crap that we are way overloaded. I have been going back to my method from when I drove my little Jeep TJ: go light. I figure if I have been able to eat well and be comfortable (relatively speaking) while backpacking, then a vehicle should offer a tremendous opportunity to stay light yet have a little more comfort: even on a motorcycle.

A small trailer also provides the extra capacity for more fuel etc. if on a long expedition, although it does limit some off-roadibility. But then, I am not interested in really gnarly trails anyway.

If backpacking I take a small stove and a couple of pots, then in a Tacoma or my FJ I can add a two burner, maybe an extra pot, and more variety of food and drink with a fridge. I don't need the kitchen setup of a restaurant.

If I could have just one vehicle it would be a Land Cruiser Troopy, but they are not available here except older ones. I may look into one in the future, but the parts availability for something like a 1HZ is a concern.

Towing a small trailer, IMO, would be awful. It has benefits, but figuring out the bare necessities is better than building out a small trailer.

Extended range tanks offer a great option for more fuel. If weight is a concern just install air bags to help with the rear end sag.

These Toyotas are great vehicles, but the small cabs/cargo areas definitely force you to become a minimalist.

Also, to really improve the ride of a Tacoma, I suggest an Icon suspension set up. They are worth every penny.

hayde89

Why would that be a concern? 1hzs have been in Canada for a while and we have cruiser outfitters. I wouldn't blink an eye. Now can you walk into an auto zone for parts? Nope but parts are pretty easy to come by. I have never been lacking for parts for my 12ht equipped hj61 which was only used in the 61 and certain jdm buses. The 1hz came in a wide variety of cruisers and is technically still sold today in 70s from a variety of countries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke