Fixed

phsycle

Adventurer
I have a fixed gear road bike, which I love to ride (both on-road and on very mild single track with Kenda Kross Supremes). I'd like to build up a fixed mountain bike. I just bought a Redline Monocog Flight 29er frame and have gathered all of the parts. Except for the fixed bits. I am most likely going with VeloSolo Bolt On Cog. I've got a 33T ring up front that I'll use. Not sure how big/small to go in the rear. I'm usually geared 33x20 here (occasional 21T). I'm thinking of going either 17 or 18, which should yield about 53 and 56 gear inches, respectively. Read a bit on 63xc.com and they had some helpful hints.

Anybody ride fixed MTB here? I'd like to get a Salsa Fargo fork and do some touring/bikepacking as well on this.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Anybody ride fixed MTB here? I'd like to get a Salsa Fargo fork and do some touring/bikepacking as well on this.
I live in one of the best singlespeed mtb regions of the southwestern US. We're ********** dab in the middle of SS paradise. I'd wager that 75% of the avid mtb riders here roll SS. We experienced a small period of fixed gear riders, but all went back to non-fixed within weeks. The reasoning was always the same. There's no flow on fixed. Unless you want all of your rides to be a constant 6mph to 12mph, you'll probably lament the fact there's no flowy descents on fixed.

I'm also an avid SS bikepacker, and I just can't imagine enjoying it on a fixed cog. Not that I dislike fixed. I raced on the velodrome for many years. Just can't see it being anything more than contrived difficulty off road. Like overlanding with a flat tire...by choice.

phsycle

Adventurer
Maybe a better analogy is over landing in first gear only. :D I'd like to try it out, to try it out. Worst case, I'm out $30 for the bolt-on cog.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I rode fixed mtb for a bit, and found I was clipping my toes to frequently on rocks and bunny hopping, or similar moves, are quite challenging on the variety of terrains you are exposed to on mtb trails.

But give it a whirl, it was a challenge and made frequently rode trails seem like new trails.

-Chris

phsycle

Adventurer
Well, I did it. Built her up over the holidays and went on a short ride last weekend. It was pretty cool. Our trails are still frozen over (but no snow, due to a very dry winter), so it was pretty interesting, especially on the downhills, as I only had a front brake. 33x18 gearing worked great, although the real steep sections, I had to get off and walk. I clipped a few rocks, but wasn't as bad as I thought. Had to think more about lines and obstacles. I really had fun. Since this is my second 29er bike, I am going to keep it this way. My main ride is still my AM-ish 29er HT SS.

phsycle

Adventurer
Still going strong. It's really a fun bike and makes easy trails interesting. May even try to race on it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier