fix or replace

4runnerteq

Explorer
Been riding a Trek 4100 for about 8 years. The front shock is trashed. Would love to have a new Specialized Rockhopper Evo. Hard for me to justify $1500 to me though when I can replace the shock on the Trek with something decent for $300. But also the saddle is bout shot and noise in the rear wheel. Still had V brakes also. I kinda feel that for the money the wise choice may be new Rockhopper. Thoughts?

fortel

Adventurer
A few more questions to ask yourself:
On the Evo are you thinking the 650 or 29er version?
What kind of riding are you doing and where? I've ridden at LBL and know the conditions there and am not that far from you in the scheme of things.
If you start new, do you really want to stay with a hardtail or make the move to a full suspension like the Camber?

I'm one to ride a bike for a long long time before I can justify starting over (I'm still riding my '09 Stumpjumper Comp 29er hardtail) but I think you may be at the point you want to start with something new instead of patching up something that old.

Just my two cents, start new and go 29er. If you were bombing down all mountain/downhill stuff out west I'd say 650 but for most of our Midwest trail types/conditions the big wheels are an outstanding way to go. I made the jump back in '09 from 26 inch wheels and was warned about 29ers not being any good on tight trails, etc. but honestly could never really tell that big a difference. And the benefits of the big wheels rolling up and over stuff easier were pretty noticeable. If your local bike shop has loaners I would try to get out and ride a couple of different wheel sizes/models.

Good luck

p nut

butter
What condition is the rest of your components in? $50 here, $100 there, it'll start adding up quick. Also consider there has been lots of tech advancements in the last decade. My thought is to just dump the bike for $1-200, and get a new bike.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Save up for a new one, and keep the old whip!

I spoke to a fellow on an Evo this past weekend on my hike. That thing is beastly!

ober27

Adventurer
I agree with libarata, keep the old bike. But, if you can swing it financially, get the bike you really want.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd donate the old bike to Trips for Kids or something similar and replace with a new ride. The absolute dollar number will be lower to fix up the old bike but if you're riding it consistently the difference between even a good running decade old design and new technology is fairly stark. Suspension has evolved, disk brakes are a game changer, improved 9/10/11 speed drivetrains, bigger wheels, etc.

4runnerteq

Explorer
A few more questions to ask yourself:
On the Evo are you thinking the 650 or 29er version?
What kind of riding are you doing and where? I've ridden at LBL and know the conditions there and am not that far from you in the scheme of things.
If you start new, do you really want to stay with a hardtail or make the move to a full suspension like the Camber?

I'm one to ride a bike for a long long time before I can justify starting over (I'm still riding my '09 Stumpjumper Comp 29er hardtail) but I think you may be at the point you want to start with something new instead of patching up something that old.

Just my two cents, start new and go 29er. If you were bombing down all mountain/downhill stuff out west I'd say 650 but for most of our Midwest trail types/conditions the big wheels are an outstanding way to go. I made the jump back in '09 from 26 inch wheels and was warned about 29ers not being any good on tight trails, etc. but honestly could never really tell that big a difference. And the benefits of the big wheels rolling up and over stuff easier were pretty noticeable. If your local bike shop has loaners I would try to get out and ride a couple of different wheel sizes/models.

Good luck
Did look at the camber as well, out of my budget range. Riding LBL mostly. Fall through spring then back to the road bike for summer. I feel like the RH Evo will do well for me. 29er

fortel

Adventurer
I think you would be happy with the 29er Evo riding LBL. I need to get back over there, been a few years now and it would be fun to explore more of the roads and trails with the Frontier and the Stumpjumper.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I think you would be happy with the 29er Evo riding LBL. I need to get back over there, been a few years now and it would be fun to explore more of the roads and trails with the Frontier and the Stumpjumper.

Come on down. Happy to have ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94