Five Ton Unicorn - Our E350 Boxtruck Toyhauler Build

5spd97

I bought this truck over a year ago in July of 2017. I thought about doing a build thread from the start but didn't because I'm lazy, and I move so slowly that I felt like people would quickly lose interest. I think that the time has come to get with the program. From time to time on a number of different forums I will post a picture when it seems appropriate. The pictures will generate questions which I feel quilty of answering because I don't want to hijack someone's elses thread.

Let's start with a little background.

About four years ago a miraculous thing happened; my wife decided that she wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. My son had recently purchased a new Honda Grom and he told her that she could ride it if she took a MSF course first. She did and two months later I gave her her own Grom for Christmas. She was hooked and I was happy. I had been out of motorcycling since the kids were little guys and I was ready to get back at it. For the first six months or so I would borrow my sons' Grom and we would ride together locally at every opportunity. We put over 5,000 miles on those two little bikes and within an ever expanding radius from our house. At some point we began loading the Groms into my pickup (first pic) and taking weeklong trips to western NC and TN. We would rent cabins, motel rooms, or stay at motorcycle campgrounds and life was good....but we wanted MORE.

Fast forward a year or so and she's riding a Honda CB500x and I'm on a Harley Fat Bob and carrying the bikes in the pickup is no longer an option. We're making more frequent trips and the bikes are now riding on a landscape trailer behind my standard cab, commercial F250 (second pic). The length of the rig combined with a 2wd open differential makes getting to and from some of our rental cabins a real test of my driving skills. Plus all of our gear was carried under tarps in the back of the pickup. Time for version 3.0; the search begins.

The Search

For the next six months to a year I scoured the forums and ran vehicle searches. I wanted the bikes out of the weather and secure. I considered an enclosed trailer but the last thing that I needed was another trailer, and in reality I would want to also get a 4 door 4wd to pull it. I looked and drove a few step vans. I considered Uhauls and Penske, but the 3/4 and 1 ton newer trucks were all gas and I was stuck on having a diesel, and the older diesel versions were all higher mileage than I wanted to deal with. I also wanted a cutaway chassis rather than a chassis cab because I wanted a pass thru and the ability to recline the front seats. I looked at larger Freightliner based box trucks and then I started looking at Super C class toyhaulers like Renegades and Haulmarks, too big and nowhere to store one. We considered schoolies and ambulances but I couldn't figure out how to load our bikes in either of those. We wanted to be able to carry two road bikes and our gear, and still be able to sleep inside when the need arose. We wanted something short enough that it didn't limit our options at state and national campgrounds which frequently have limited sites for larger motorhomes.

I finally came to the realization that a box truck was the only answer and that if I couldnt find what I wanted used, then I needed to have one built. I decided on a diesel Transit cutaway with a Unicell 16 - 17' body with a side door. I was working with a dealer in Wisconsin and ready to pull the trigger when the deal fell through.

Back to the drawing board. I finally decided to run an advanced CL search listing all of my wants; 7.3 Powerstroke box truck on a cutaway chassis, low mileage, side door, lift, roll up back door, and attic, within a 500 mile radius. The search came back with one result and it checked every box. I yelled, "I found it", showed my wife the listing, and gave the guy a call. It was around 9 pm on a Tuesday and we discussed the usual specifics and did a little negotiating and I told him that I would be there the next afternoon. It was located 450 miles and 3 states away so I packed a bag on my bike and hit the road about daylight the next morning. 20 hours later I was back in the driveway with our unicorn. The third and forth pictures show the truck the next morning with my bike still loaded. That was in July of last year.

Since then there have been many changes and there are many more to go. Each trip results in more refinements and modifications when we return home. Every following trip is more enjoyable because of the improvements and the truck continues to morph to our specific needs. I'll try to document the build from a chronological perspective but I have to rely on whatever pictures I have to keep me straight. Be patient and thanks for following.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • Bob in Bam.jpg
    Bob in Bam.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Village Idiot
What's the mileage on that box truck? Great find. I wish I could have found one like that.

People don't give the CB500x enough credit. Even the automatic ones. The trunk on those bikes are unreal. Great place for beer.

5spd97

What's the mileage on that box truck? Great find. I wish I could have found one like that.
People don't give the CB500x enough credit. Even the automatic ones. The trunk on those bikes are unreal. Great place for beer.[/

Thanks! I think you are confusing the CB500x with the NC700, which I agree doesn't get proper credit, especially for that trunk. The 500 doesnt have the trunk or the automatic but its been a great bike and my wife loves it and rides it daily.

The truck had just under 50k miles when I bought it. The seats and interior were in great condition. It was a custom build for an older couple who ran a catering service and occassionally pulled a horse trailer. When they retired one of their employees, the mother of the guy that I bought the truck from, bought their catering business but gave up after a short run. Her son used it briefly as a mobile service truck but said that it just wasn't getting used enough to justify keeping.

A unique feature of the truck is that it has a bulkhead wall between the cab and the rear box that separates the 14 ft. box into two areas; the rear garage area which is 10 ft. long, and a 4 ft. compartment behind the two front seats which is accessible from the side door or front seats and gives access to the attic. We can sleep in this area with the bikes loaded in the back.

The first picture with the two speakers shows the attic and the second picture shows the bulkhead wall from the side door. The front compartment is insulated and carpeted.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

5spd97

As soon as I got the van home I began a detailed inspection and changed the oil and flushed the brake and power steering fluids. I pressure washed the garage area and then began working on a plan to facilitate loading and securing the bikes. We were planning a trip to TN to view the total eclipse in mid August and I had a good bit to get done before the trip. I installed a HF motorcycle stand for the Harley and a smaller less intrusive chock and tie downs for the 500x. The big issue was getting the bikes in and out of the van with a minimum of hassle. The truck has a 1600 lb. capacity lift gate but the gate dimensions require that they are lifted perpendicular to the direction of travel and then finagled back and forth to rotate them 90 degrees, and its a tight fit just getting the Harley on the gate to start with. I explored a bunch of options including adding an extension on the gate or building a new larger gate from aluminum. Fortunately I ran some calculations and did some tests first and realized that the gate would not stow itself if any weight was added.

The solution was to design a light weight ramp/extension that could be easily installed and removed when loading or unloading the bikes. Fortunately I have a good friend who owns a fabrication shop who could do the fabrication. He does amazing work and his knowledge and experience were invaluable in refining my design. The final product worked perfectly. Its made out of aluminum checker plate and weighs 50 or so pounds.

The eclipse trip was fantastic. We stayed for a few nights at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge, and on the day of the eclipse rode our bikes to a great viewing spot above 5,000 feet and directly under the path of totality on the Cherohala Skyway. Although there were thousands of cars lining both sides of the skyway we were able ride our bikes to a prime overlook, park the bikes, and set up our chairs. The eclipse was spectacular. When it was over we got on the bikes and were gone before the crowds could get to their cars. The next day we rode up to Knoxville via Moonshiner 28, Tail of the Dragon, and the Foothills Parkway to replace the Sena that I managed to lose while watching the eclipse. From the IHML we moved to a cabin on the north side of the Blue Ridge Mountains that provides great access to some fantastic riding. The cabin is on a small farm in a great setting with a fishing pond, horses, lamas, donkeys, ducks, etc. Our days were spent riding and the evenings were spent fishing and relaxing. It was a great trip and the truck performed flawlessly and far exceeded my expectations.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0880.PNG
    IMG_0880.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 71

5spd97

When I first picked up the truck, as I was driving away the PO ran up and stopped me and said, "I forgot to tell you, do not let the fuel gauge get to 1/4 tank, do not let it even touch the quarter tank mark or you'll end up walking." Comments like that kind of stick in your head.

When we were returning home from our eclipse trip I was constantly trying to calculate my remaining fuel range. It looked like it was going to be close but I planned on dropping the fuel tank when we got home, and wanted it as empty as possible. As we got close to home we got caught up in rush hour traffic and I was sweating bullets watching the fuel gauge nearing the quarter mark. We made it home but the next day I decided to take it to a nearby garage because of an issue with the lift. It started fine but wouldnt accelerate. Huh, the gauge is reading 1/4 tank. I nursed it to a station about a mile away, and put $10 worth in and all was good.

Its a 55 gallon steel tank and pretty stout. Fortunately it has a drain plug so I drained it into a plastic mortar mixing pan and ended up with 12 - 15 gallons, which means the gauge was working correctly. I managed to drop and remove the tank by myself and and discovered the problem when I removed the fuel pickup/float assembly. The foot of the pickup had broken off which apparently is a common problem. Fortunately they sell replacement feet as buying the entire unit is pretty steep. I flushed, cleaned out, and painted the tank before reinstalling. I also removed and cleaned out the two finger filters which are in the pickup assembly. They were filthy. Before I reinstalled the pickup I measured the total length of the assembly and the depth of the tank from the top flange to the bottom of the tank. It turns out the assembly is about 3/4 - 1" too long. I guess that would explain why the plastic foot breaks off. I ended up shortening the tube that the foot mounts on and reassembling. Put it all back together and put a couple of gallons in and voila, gauge reading near empty and it runs fine. That fix added 100 - 150 miles to my effective range and a lot of peace of mind.

At some point in the future I'll drop the tank again and remove the two finger filters and install a more accessible replaceable filter in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump. Note that the picture of the fuel pickup does not include the pickup/screen which broke off. Cant seem to find those pics.

The take away from this is: if you have a Ford truck and it runs out of fuel with a quarter tank indicated, it is probably the fuel pickup. When you remove the pickup remember to check the finger filters. Before reinstalling, especially if you have the 55 gallon tank, take some measurements to insure that the pickup assembly isnt too long or you will push the pickup tube through the bottom foot when you tighten the flange bolts.
If anybody needs more of the details let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

5spd97

One if the irritations of using the pickup for hauling the motorcycles was stowing our motorcycle gear. The helmets and boots would go in the truck tool box and the jackets, pants, and raingear would be stored in big plastic totes in the bed of the truck along with our luggage. If you wanted a jacket you had to dig through the tote to get to it.

With the box truck we stow our luggage in the attic and hang our gear on a rack that I made by converting a pre-existing wooden wall box that holds a 1900 watt Prosine inverter. Its not elegant but it's sturdy and works well. The inverter is powered off of the trucks' auxilliary battery and while I dont have plans to use it, its there and wired up in case a need arises.

I apparently don't have a good picture of the gear rack so I pulled a frame off a video. Apologies for the picture quality. The rack was a huge improvement for such a simple modification. I've made additional improvements to it over the last year but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. The rack will hold three helmets, a bunch of gloves and a variety of riding gear.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 29

5spd97

That tank stuff looks like a lot of work! A 55 gallon tank must be pretty heavy

Haha! It's very heavy and cumbersome. There was lots of cussing involved.

On top of all if that I had to replumb the fill and vent pipes as they looked like they had been cobbled together by candlelight from junkyard parts. Every joint was leaking and the vent tube was pinched shut which made filling the tank a real burden. The improved model works great.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 26

5spd97

When the OE set down with his dealer to spec this truck he got a little crazy when they got to the exterior lighting section and must have checked the "Christmas tree" option. As a result they installed 28 dual bulb incandescent clearance marker lights around the truck plus a 2003 vintage incandescent flood light above the roll up door. I didn't much care about the lights other than the rear flood, but if they were there I wanted them to work and not have broken lenses.

This was the easy peasy kind of stuff that you do when you get a new toy. Buy new floormats, fix the broken lights, etc. While changing out a front marker light, which is accessed by moving a big carpeted panel from the attic, I discovered not only leaks around several of the other lights, but also that the front of the attic was not insulated. This is a perfect formula for condensation. A warm humid interior and a cold metal skin. At any rate I replaced
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG the broken light, sealed the leaks, and insulated the front wall with a layer of Ice and Water followed by 1/2" of polyiso foam board. This was my first effort with insulation on this build but far from my last.

I also replaced the rear flood light with two 18 watt led units. That turned out not only to be overkill but the reality is I haven't used the rear floods once since I installed them.

Last edited:

5spd97

Whenever you get a new vehicle there is always that period of acclimation. You can't help but judge it against your preconceived expectations which are based upon previous vehicles and experience. Its bigger or smaller, faster or slower, quieter or noisier, more luxurious or more spartan. It shifts different and the controls are different and in different places, A box truck really stretches those comparisons. Its noisy, slow, and big; but the biggest, most notable difference is visibilty, there ain't none. You cant see ******** behind you. You've got a rear view mirror but you don't know why because all you can see in it is the reflection of a wall.

My son, being the owner of a step van, was ahead of me on this and presented me with one of the most useful birthday presents that I have ever received; a four camera monitoring system and the offer to help install it. Sweet! I feel certain that there were moments during the next two days when he regretted the second part of that offer but his gift totally transformed the driving experience. We installed a sideview camera on both sides, and high and low rear view cameras. The monitor was installed on the windshield mount in place of the rear view mirror. The montor is always on when the key is on, and it has a number of modes so that you can view any one camera or up to all four cameras at once. All of a sudden I could see again. I could see vehicles overtaking me and I could see to back up. I had another resource when changing lanes. The infrared cameras are effective enough at night that I never use the rear floods when backing up and their light amplification or gain or whatever can be reduced so that you arent blinded by the monitor at night. The entire system was stupid cheap but it's worked perfectly for a year.IMG_2435.JPGIMG_2437.JPGIMG_2438.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior