Fiskers X7 hatchet: NO!

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I read a lot of good reviews about the Fiskers X7 so I picked one up today. Very disappointed! It's too light to have much of an effect on cord hardwood (6" in diameter), but it's more than that: there's something weird about the shape of the blade. It more or less bounced back off the wood and took 7 or 8 hits to split very dry wood. Very little blade penetration with each hit. I got out my ancient $5 yard sale hatchet and sharpened it and it was far better. I'm going to return the Fiskers if Home Depot will accept it.

pith helmet

Sorry it didn’t work out. I have had a very similar Gerber version of that hatchet for at least 15 years. The hollow handle is great for shock absorption. I also have the brush blade that is made the same way. Very handy.

gatorgrizz27

Placid, I had similar results when using a friends Gerber version. The blade shape may be fine for splitting soft woods, but it bounced horribly when chopping, I didn’t try splitting with it. Hultafors axes are my choice, though the price is substantially different.

Laps

I have a Fiskars X27 and after years of splitting wood its the best by far. The X7 is equally capable on smaller diameter wood. Both are excellent tools, for splitting, not chopping. And I own about six axes.

Last edited:

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
A lightweight tool not designed for the job.
Good learning exercise.

I have to differ. As I mentioned I have another old hatchet. It's the same size and weight as the X7, so I figured the Fiskars, being new and having a more refined blade design, would do better on the same size chunks. The old hatchet can easily handle 4" wood. The X7 could not. Maybe it works on smaller wood, I dunno---I don't want to have to chop wood smaller with an axe just so the X7 can handle it.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Estwing camp axe (hatchet) with leather-wrapped handle.

A buddy has a Gransfors and it's a phenomenal tool. But at that price I can't justify it. I have an Estwing too, Home Depot cheap, takes an edge and if I hit a rock or lose it I don't worry too much. Is it as good as the Gransfors? No. But at the price I like the Estwing.

ThundahBeagle

A buddy has a Gransfors and it's a phenomenal tool. But at that price I can't justify it. I have an Estwing too, Home Depot cheap, takes an edge and if I hit a rock or lose it I don't worry too much. Is it as good as the Gransfors? No. But at the price I like the Estwing.

Right on. Mine got chipped up a bit as the nephew was using it to chop away a small stump in the ground. I took a 9 inch file to it. Reprofiled and sharpened it razor sharp again. Love that thing for so many reasons

jbaucom

I have several Fiskars axes and hatchets, and I've been pleased with the performance of all of them. I don't normally chop with a hatchet though; I use it for splitting. Fiskars heads are shaped better for splitting than chopping, because they're wedge shaped. A good chopping ax has a thinner, more concave profile near the cutting edge, but I haven't had any issues chopping with my X15. Normally for turning the size wood referenced (4"-6") into firewood, I use a bow saw. I find it as quick or quicker than a hatchet, and it poses less risk of injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94