Fishing neck gaiters

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
to the boaters, kayaker and anglers, I spend a good deal of time on the water year round and growing weary of greasy sun block. I'm noticing more and more anglers and boaters wearing neck gaiters but look like they would be hot and uncomfortable, anybody have experience with these type of coverings instead of sunblock?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I imagine it would be similar to having to wear a covid mask? Personally, I would just try and find a less greasy sunblock.

Willsfree

I started wearing one for all my mountaineering high elevation exposure. Now I wear one everyday as a covid mask...look up Buff. They are a bit warm, but the protection for this ginger is worth it.

Choff

Adventurer
I use Buff's in winter and summer, warm on neck (light wool ones ) and keeps the sun off in summer ( sun block ones)

D

Deleted member 9101

I have used the light colored ones from Wal-Mart for years. They can be a little warm, but they beat getting a sun burn.

D

Deleted member 9101

I imagine it would be similar to having to wear a covid mask? Personally, I would just try and find a less greasy sunblock.

Not quite. Any mask that's worth anythingg has multiple layers, the gaters are a single thin layer with a coarse weave.

troutbum1

I do a lot of fly fishing in Michigan and have a couple of these in my vest. Took a friend out for an evening hatch and noticed that he had one around his neck when the sun was going down. I asked him about it and he said wait till the mosquitos come out and you'll see why I'm wearing it. Now I've switched from a lot of bug spray on my face to wearing these pulled up around the head under my ball cap. I can get by with just a small amount of bug dope on my nose, etc. while hearing the mosquitos buzzing around the ears. They can't bite through and it's nice to not have to put so much deet on as before. Always thought they were just for sun protection which is how the ads depict them with anglers.

jgaz

Adventurer
I use a KastKing gaiter when I hike uphill during my volunteer work in the Grand Canyon.
It is the minimum that’s required and only used during exertion. I use a better mask when stationary.

I was pleasantly surprised that it’s not that bad to breathe through and I find the sun protection a welcome bonus.
Also as some have stated, on the rare occasions that there was a bug problem, I just spray the gaiter.

yfarm

Observer
Simms, the fabric stays cool in high temps unlike buffs. Only brand I buy. They used to make a sunhood out of the same fabric, wear it over a cap when running a boat, keeps the cap on and fits looser than a neck gaiter and more coverage. The solarflex fabric feels like silk. The neck gaiter has perforations over your mouth so no glass fogging or rebreathing hot air.

Last edited:

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Simms looks like some of the best and exactly what I am looking for,
I will be ordering 2 sun gaiters today.
Yfarm, do you have simms fingerless fishing gloves? I may order them also.

yfarm

Observer
Simms looks like some of the best and exactly what I am looking for,
I will be ordering 2 sun gaiters today.
Yfarm, do you have simms fingerless fishing gloves? I may order them also.
Looked at them, tried on just never bought. Worried more about losing an ear or nose to melanoma or an aggressive squamous cell. Hand or finger you can do a wide excision and not lose too much function. my motivation for using is more staying cool in high temps than uv protection though. Prefer this to using sunblock. Do some night fishing for speckled trout and snook where the mosquitos get bad, may try for bug protection after this thread. You can occasionally find the sun hoods on ebay from fly shops that are clearing out old inventory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94