First truck camper - Slide-on setup vs fixed body

Amesz00

Adventurer
I personally wouldn't be that keen on a Winnebago unit, they're built from stapled and glued together popsicles and foam cups.. and have been known to fall apart.
As far as getting a truck into tight tracks, the width seems to more often a problem than height. Probably consider 2100 your max body width, much over that and you'll be pushing alot of bush...
That and the top corners, where trees and bushes encroach over the track. Usually the cab is ok but much above that (in the corners) will cop a hiding.
I guess what I'm saying is that 2100 wide is ok, and 3000 overall height is ok, but not with square corners.

Spoony

Bradk,

It's good to hear of more locals nutting out all these options and challenges. I have noticed the price of used trucks can seem high but also widely varied too. As one gets closer to early to mid 2000's the price drops quite a bit.

Amesz00

I've been trying to work out how that body would have been constructed, now I know haha. It is a genuine concern, it's obviously don't 250k km and 18 years so far and held together, but how much longer. I think by then they were using a composite type panel, perhaps ally frame (doubt timber would still be together given where the trucks been). But if they really are as bad as you say, scary. haha

Yes width his a consideration, the truck body/cab's are only 100mm wider than a Y62 Patrol, not too bad, but usually the rear is wider than the cab, so certainly a consideration. You're right about square corners though, height with heavily tapered corners would manage situations much better. That NPS/Winnie is square, but pretty low, my scaling puts it at about 2700mm (rear body), so well under 3000mm even lifted with bigger tyres. Sub 3000mm with tyres and some lift on a solid body doesn't seem achievable from what I've worked out.

stephenh1235

"Have gun will travel"
I'm looking to buy/setup/build my first 4x4 truck based camper (single cab). The plan is to rent the house, use equity for purchase and travel Australia without an end date, just me and my 4 legged best mate.
While a truck setup seems overkill for so many travellers ;) haha, given it will be 'home' indefinitely I figure it makes things much easier to have a larger more comfortable living space, carry more gear, and also provide a better option to leave my dog in for periods (which his fine with) if visiting some non dog friendly places or when getting work. As such the camper part needs to be fairly well insulated and will be setup with good powered ventilation etc. NPS or Canter doesn't really worry me, but Super Singles and improved/raised suspension will be part of the build. As I don't want to burn all my equity, the budget is limited (sub $40k AUD + some extra for setup), so older truck options are OK.

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on doing the larger slide-on type setup for a fixed body.
Pros and Cons I've come up with.

FIXED BODY PROS
More interior space
Likely stay cooler due to larger area etc?
Through cab access :)
If a poptop version usage with the roof left down can still be good

FIXED BODY CONS
Existing older setups (ie Winnebago etc) seem to be rigid mounted (is this an issue?)
House is locked to the vehicle, so loose house if vehicle need repairs
Can't detach home at a campsite for a period

Slide-one would maybe use US Puma or Northstar, as they are large (usually for F250's etc I guess) + seem to offer decent value in Aus for appointments/age

SLIDE-ON PROS
Home can be removed from vehicle
Additional external storage under over cab section
Using the same base truck model/spend, seems one can get a far newer Slide-on unit vs the fixed body build, better appointed too

SLIDE-ON CONS
Smaller internal space
Usage limited without popping the top
Possible heat issues without the top popped? (ie leaving dog, though could always just open top)

I was leaning toward the fixed body option but given what one can get for the $'s for a slide on (ie $18k asking aud 3-4yrs old, internal show/toilet, air-con, the works really) on I'm having a re-think.

Keen to hear others ideas on this. I understand many do builds for proper outdoor camping and this is quite inside living focused, but I've gone this way as while I'll aim to stay remote, my travels and income needs will take me urban and rural, so being self contained within is a high priority.

Cheers
Dan.

For what it's worth I can share my experience of having a slide on camper on a FG649 for the last 2 years. The slide on is a "Palamino" 1251, build quality probably "not up there" - equivalent to a Aussie Jayco, but so far has shown no structural problems or any deteriation. We went with a slide on after years of towing a Jayco wind up camper, but due to our predominatly beach camping really needed to take a boat as well = truck carrying accomadation + towing a boat. The option of unloading the slide on when on beaches proved to be not worth the time & effort due to needing solid level ground to do so, we now just erect a Oz trail shade shelter with all our gear spread out next to the truck,then just push that button to lower the pop-top & drive off to launch boats or chase some tracks.
For the needs you describe,I can see a slide on or fixed body doing the job, but feel the easiest option is to get a truck that is just over 10 years old & then look for a slide on. I sold my other 2004 Mitsubishi FG649 with 180K on the clock last year for $16,000AUD, which is around the going price in West Aust, and I note that these Palamino's are $27,000 brand new in Queensland,so would think you could get second hand for $20,000 ? Don't know your location but see this one on gumtree - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nar...2004-mitsubishi-canter-4x4-camper-/1181072376 Add $6,000 for 6 x super singles & you have a truck & camper for under $20,000 , though I note it is unregistered.

Cheers,
Steve20170903_154612.jpgIMG_0114.JPG20171022_123700.jpg

Spoony

Cheers for the feedback and personal experiences. Your setup looks good and would certainly do the job.

Yeah sub 20k for a fairly newish one. I'd dismissed the us ones due to a few others on here letting me know what they'd come across, structural issues causing leaks into panels inturn more issues. Apparently still built with timber frames. Hence my concern.

Some locally made stuff such as from Naked RV are made from modern composite fibre glass panels, but rare to find large ones second hand, and mainly for small utes.
That's the plus with yankie stuff, it's big.

Had a drive of a friends 2000 Mazda T4600 with box body kitted out to be a house. Same basically as a 2000 NPS (rebadged Isuzu). Non turbo so not fast but kept up with traffic fine. Gave me perspective at least in the simple older trucks.

Clyde4x4fuso

My 2 cents worth is go with the slide on option. Why limit yourself to having a single purpose vehicle when it could be a bloody good little work horse if the need arises.

Also as SkiFreak mentioned these top heavy setups do not do slow big rocky stuff exceptionally well, but if you unload it at a campsite then go tackle the more serious stuff; you will have a far better chance of seeing more and avoid possible damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online