First trip in my 2001 GTRV e350 v10.

pfreeman

Observer
Installed the Maxx lift 2" coil spacer kit and 2" rear block last week, and new shocks all around..

This weekend hoping to get some 265x75xR16 E rated installed - what AT tires should I be looking at that provide good snow/ice traction but can be used year round? suggestions welcome!

gtrv2.jpg

gtrv1.jpga

Gravity

Observer
In the tire dept I've been super pleased with the latest gen Toyo AT2's - also come with a 50k mile tread warranty on the E Rated. Definitely no complaints in the snow of UT/WY this winter (when we actually had snow...)

350outrage

Adventurer
Just bought some new Duratracs; E rated; Snowflake rated. Little bit of a whine on smooth tarmac, but not bad. Incredible in mud and heavy rain on hwy so far. Little bit less money than the new Toyo At2, which I also looked at. I like the Duratracs so far.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
PepBoys Definity ATs receive rave reviews and are bargain priced.

The new Cooper Discoverer AT3s are big hit on diesel tow rigs in my area that get used on and off road. Think hauling the camper to the deer woods, fire wood home, boat to the lake, etc.

I find heavier rigs need less aggressive patterns to be effective since its mostly about ground pressure and biting edges, especially in icy winter streets and on rocky terrain. Real mud requires an MT, period.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I find heavier rigs need less aggressive patterns to be effective since its mostly about ground pressure and biting edges, especially in icy winter streets and on rocky terrain. Real mud requires an MT, period.

I couldn't agree more. Especially the clay mud we have in my neck of the woods. I found out the hard way!

pfreeman

Observer
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! There is a Les Schwab down the road from me that had the Toyo AT2 on sale so I ended up grabbing a set of those in 265x75xR16 - very happy with them so far! Not any noticeably louder than the stock tires I had on, they look beefy - and add an additional 1 1/4" in height to the van. Gearing up for a mini-road trip on the way to overland expo - pics to come!

For anyone else interested in the fit on the Econoline with a 2" lift - they fit perfectly except for some slight rubbing when in reverse and turning on the front wheels on the fender near the door...doesn't really bother me.

Gtdad

Adventurer
I keep forgetting to do this! Next photo shoot ill snap a few.

Bump I just spoke with one of the builders at pleasureway where my traverse was built. he's going to send me top construction
drawings.
Could you snap that pic of the bolt through for your racks on the inside. Any install tips would be helpfull ..

pfreeman

Observer
Here are some photos. We measured the size of the retention bolts... and drilled outside the tent because with the curve of the top there was about an inch of space up there between the top and where it sits on the van. We got the hardware from a place that specializes in rack installations so its a standard bolt with a plastic cover/hand tightener. I was a little worried about abrasion over time so I put some felt on the bottom of the nuts. Seems to have help up great with about 5k miles on this system and a lot of those off road. The next project is to address the added weight on the top while its open. The springs work ok at lower elevations and warmer temps...But at higher elevations and lower temps ive had the roof come down on itself as this style top has no locking mechanism in the UP position.

IMG_5916.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

N8URE2

Adventurer
pfreeman I also have a Pleasure Way Traverse (2012) like several others. Can you post a side profile picture of the van with the suspension and tire upgrades? I'd like to see the overall stance. What shocks did you go with? How's the ride? sway? wandering? Thanks, rig looks great!

pfreeman

Observer
Hey N8URE2

canyongtrv.jpg

parkinglot.jpg

These are unfortunately the only side profile pics I have right now. Hitting the road for a long trip today so ill have more soon. I put on some cheaper rancho shocks and them seem ok. I would like a bit stiffer but have heard the stiff billsteins give a rough ride. These ride great but there is a fair amount of sway and the van wanders when the AT tires grab on rough highway. I bought a bolt on steering stabilizer but haven't installed it yet. I should have a decent review of before and after soon!

pfreeman

Observer
Got a great deal on some Bushwacker fender flares. I am considering looking into rear-wheel spacers for when I install them. I have the full-floater rear axle and my van isn't very heavy.
Anyone running wheel spacers on vans with 2" lift? Would love to see some photos and a source to buy from. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles