First Trip in an Overland Explorer Camp X

sg1

Adventurer
Size is a concern as it would be us and very likely our 50lbs dog, wonder if they would be willing to make a bigger one for a 8ft bed....

If you are ever in the Vancouver area please let me know! Would love to hear about your adventures and check out your rig if you bring it.
Sorry I don't expect to be in Vancouver any time soon. We are in Brazil right now on our last trip of our Panamericana trip. We will be in Canada in June again when it gets warm in the Rockies.
Overlandex planned to build a 8ft camper. You should ask them if they still do. I met quite a few travelers who did the Panama in a 6.5ft camper. Personally I prefer a unit with a washroom and an indoor shower for Latin America. But maybe I just get old.

lzpup

Observer
nice camper. As a Hawk shell owner and winter camper I definitely appreciate the thermal design they have. I really like how they brace all the corners, amazing. Question on the roof hatch, is that a requirement for an emergency exit? Does it get in the way of solar panel mounting?

sg1

Adventurer
nice camper. As a Hawk shell owner and winter camper I definitely appreciate the thermal design they have. I really like how they brace all the corners, amazing. Question on the roof hatch, is that a requirement for an emergency exit? Does it get in the way of solar panel mounting?
A second exit is required. It can be a roof hatch or a large window. I wanted a roof hatch anyway. Still plenty of space for solar.

YukonHunter

sg1 Looking like a great Canadian Rig! Did you end up adding solar? Is the lower bench seat/bed wide enough for an adult to sleep on? Anymore issues...(roof lift system improved, etc..?) Where can I see more images...?
Thanks
YH

They've changed the design in the current iterations, built in fridge and stove top, the skylight is gone and the roof is lighter weight.

sg1

Adventurer
There are pictures on their website overlandex.com and on the website of their US dealer. They show my unit. The 2019 version with the new and lighter roof has not been revealed yet. On their Facebook page I have recently seen a picture of their new interior. The beach seat can be converted in a single bed. I will install stronger struts. The new roof cannot be retrofited to my camper unfortunately. I don't have solar yet. Didn't need it so far. I will get a battery booster though because may Ford has one of the new variable output alternators. They don't charge the house battery properly.

Gadder

.... "I will get a battery booster though because may Ford has one of the new variable output alternators. They don't charge the house battery properly."

Can you provide anymore details on what battery booster you are getting?

Have you had much experience in wet weather; just wondering how the soft side performs - any leaks, seepage, etc?

Thanks

sg1

Adventurer
I ended up not buying the battery booster. My truck has a 400 W inverter and when driving I use the 110 V outlet and my 15 A AC battery charger to charge the house battery. This works just fine.
Unfortunately we have a lot of experience with wet weather. Initially there was some leakage at the seam between the soft side and the hard wall when we had very heavy rain and strong winds. Marc added an additional sealing tape to that seam and that took care of that problem. This is now part of the standard design.

Wayne's Wagon

Awesome! I'll have to drive up and check them out in Red Deer. Seems like a great design. Hopefully my power wagon won't sag too much.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
I looked at one of the Overland Explorer Campx units that are on the ground at Big Sky RV here in Bozeman, MT today. They also have the smaller CampM (no overhead-cab bed and for small trucks). The fit and finish, construction, etc. is really good!

We currently have a 2017 FWC Hawk shell with side dinette, heater, stovetop, etc. and we use it a lot. Have been down to 16 F. in it in late fall. We just spent 8 days in it traveling from Bozeman to Orcas Island and back through Canada. Lots of rain and humidity plus cool weather. While condensation has been a bit of a bother on local cold trips, on this trip, it was extreme. Mopped up standing water under the bed foam every morning. The moisture between the canvas walls and arctic pack was wet the entire trip. Didn't get a good dry out until we returned to the dry climate here and let it air out for an afternoon. Though we love this camper, it has us evaluating other construction types that will reduce or eliminate the condensation issue.

These Camp X have come a long way since the prototypes. Very impressive. We hope our next camper will be a flatbed since we love the layout of flatbed campers. Overland Explorer Camp flatbed are are now in the running.

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Two videos (not mine) showing the latest versions which have come a long way from the prototypes. As mentioned, I stopped and looked at these and fit and finish is very good.

CampX (overcab bed and full size trucks)

CampM (no overcab and for smaller trucks)

On the Overland Explorer website, they have the floorplan for the flatbed version (it's for an 8' flatbed), but I've not seen any pictures or videos of that. I'm very interested in that version so if anyone digs up pictures or videos, please post. I'm not sure if they've even made any yet.

Last edited:

Dogbird

In 2016 I posted a thread complaining about condensation in my Hawk (https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/a-hawk-in-the-arctic.163254/). After this experience I started looking for a pop up camper with a reasonable insulation. Earthroamer and Hallmark looked interesting but when I had decided to book flights to their plants to look at their campers Overland Explorer started a build threat for a new insulated pop up. They are located in Red Deer AB which is not too far from Canmore where I live. I drove over to their plant, looked at the prototype and ordered the first production unit for my F 150. Because I was the first customer I could still influence the design a little.
A few months later in June 2018 I took delivery of the finished camper when it was back from Flagstaff where it was exhibited. The first impression was very positive. What a difference to my old FWC Hawk. The lower half of my Hawk was uninsulated 3/4 inch plywood stapled together, the upper half was mostly aluminum frame with very little insulation and plenty of thermal bridges. The soft walls where made of sturdy truck tarp. The so called arctic pack was fairly thin softer material which at least prevented us from touching the wet outer soft walls. All windows where single pane. My new camper is entirely made of composit panels with strong aluminum corners and the soft walls consist of two layers of tent material with padding between the layers. The window and the big roof hatch are dual pane. Except for the strong extrusions on the edges of both the roof and the solid walls I could not find thermal bridges. Mark told me that they are still experimenting with different insulation materials to insulate even these small remaining thermal bridges and once they decided on the right material it would be added to my camper. Pretty soon I made a trip through the Rockies in Alberta and BC to test the new unit.
All in all the Camp X passed the test with flying colors. But it became obvious that the details still need some fine tuning. Especially the lifting mechanism for the roof still needs some work. Smaller issues like some wiring problems I could sort out myself. But these small problems were no surprise. Things like that happen when you buy the first unit which is essentially still a prototype. Mark gave me tremendous support to solve these problems.
The concept however is working extremely well. We spend a total of 12 mostly cool nights in the camper and had very mixed weather with 2 cold nights in the mid 30s with lots of rain and some sleet. To test the concept I only opened the small Seitz window a crack and heated the camper to 70 F. After both cold nights with 2 people sleeping in it there was only some condensation on the 2 extrusions I had previously mentioned ( and which will be insulated soon) and on the frame of the rear door. The hard walls, the soft walls and the floor of the alcove under the mattress were completely dry. Not a drop of condensation. The Truma heater had no problem keeping the interior warm (70 F) and there were no cold corners. I don´t know how often it cycled on during the nights because the Truma is extremely quiet. Even when you are awake you really have to pay attention to hear it running. It will not wake you up. With such a well insulated pop up camper there is no reason any more to buy a hard sided camper.
In fall we will travel to the Northwestern Territories. This will be the final test and I will report.
Stefan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne