First Ten Things to Purchase Before an Overland Adventure

Scott Brady

Founder
Many of us here on ExPo are asked the question: "What stuff do I need to buy before heading off on a backcountry / overland adventure?" We have found that the requirements are similar to even a day run with the local 4wd club, but since most exploration is done with just a few trucks (or even solo), we thought a starter list would be worth creating.

This is just a starting point, as many of you have great experience and have probably developed your own list. We will work to create supporting detail for each number, like a comprehensive support kit list, comprehensive tool kit list, recovery, etc., but this seems to work as a foundation.

The goal of this list is also to show that total investment can really be modest, at least to get started. I would consider 1-8 pretty critical for anyone looking to explore off the beaten path. Sure, people do it with none of that equipment and a Nissan Sentra, but those people also end up on the Darwin Award site ;)

Here is the original article on the home page: Top 10 Overland Kit- Getting Started This has a bunch of images and links, but the copy is below.

1. Safety Equipment:
This is stuff you should have in the vehicle 24/7. Here are the basics.

A. First Aid Kit [link]
Should include basic items and also a bloodstopper kit

B. Fire Extinguisher
2.5lb minimum ABC within reach of the driver

C. Blanket (one for each occupant)
We like a down, rectangular sleeping bag for this

D. A gallon of water per occupant (per day and depending upon environment)
We typically store water in a Dromedary bag from MSR

E. Basic survival kit
A complete bug-out bag is preferred, but even just starting with an small survival tool kit it sufficient for most adventures. Signaling, fire starting and a few small tools does the trick.
A fire extinguisher should be mounted in a place with easy access; This unit is mounted directly next to the driver.

2. Navigation:
You need to have several means of navigation, starting with a paper map of the area. In the US, most states have a Benchmark Atlas that shows roads, trails and natural features. Buy a compass and learn how to triangulate with it. I prefer a lensatic compass. It is easy to make compass triangulation more complicated that it needs to be, but a basic understanding of triangulation, deviation and variation are important. Electronic navigation aids are highly effective, but are subject to failure, dead batteries, etc. Use a GPS or smart phone with an understanding of their limitations. Note your location frequently on the paper map and pay attention to your surroundings. I find the Topo Maps app [link] on the iPhone with 7.5 minute USGS topo maps is extremely useful for exploring and has excellent detail and the benefit of the original cartographer's notes.

3. Communication:
Have multiple means of communicating while in the backcountry. A HAM radio is most effective and with repeaters or HF you can easily communicate with other travelers or emergency services. A CB can also be a popular means of communication in 4wd clubs, but if you have 10 other rigs with you, then support is already there. For solo travel, a CB has little value or effectiveness. A popular secondary means of communication is the Spot device [link] or a PLB. Effective communications can mean the difference between a great story and a eulogy.

4. Tools and Spares:
Once basic survival, navigation and communication is resolved, we can start to add equipment that supports the journey. In the case of tools and equipment, it is important to have a comprehensive, yet compact tool kit. Our recommended tool kit contents will be covered in a future article, but Blue-Point makes a nice car kit as a start and runs $359.95. There are other similar kits from companies like Crescent that are less expensive. You will also want to augment with a 12v repair kit and a small hardware kit. Finish with a spares kit that includes upper and lower radiator hose, engine belts, fuel filter and other know failure points. A 12v compressor should be included.

Note: An entire article will be devoted to the tools and spares kit. Remember, weight is an enemy of good handling and durability, so keep the weight low and items to the essential.

5. Proper Recovery Points:
Before heading out into the backcountry, ensure that your vehicle has proper chassis mounted recovery points. It is important to understand the difference between a recovery point and a transport point. Most vehicles have transport loops or notches that are used to secure the vehicle to a ship deck, etc. These are not designed for the load of a recovery, which can easily exceed 1x GVWR. Some vehicles have impressive recovery points (The Jeep Wrangler with 2x GVWR) and others have wimpy recovery points (Toyota with .75 GVWR). Make sure your recovery points are rated to 1x GVWR minimum and 2x GVWR preferred. They should be on the front and the rear of the vehicle. A little red paint can make them obvious.

6. Recovery Equipment:
A recovery kit can range from simple to extreme. For my round-the-world trip, we have a fully comprehensive kit that would allow a 300'+ winch pull. Given that this article focuses on the basics, this is our recommendation.

Gloves and eye protection
Shovel
Base for jack (used in soft conditions)
Dynamic recovery strap
20' rigging line [link]
D-shackles (properly rated)
Optional: MaxTrax or similar recovery plate [link]
Note: The argument can be made to bring 100 more items than this, but this is a proper basic kit.

7. Loading and Lashing:
Proper loading and lashing is critical to occupant safety and equipment preservation. Anything hard or heavy needs to be secured and the best method for this is with ring or rail mounts. I like the simplicity of the transport loops Expedition Exchange [link] sells as well as the Mac's Custom Tie Down [link] anchor plates. Once strong lashing points are fitted, secure the equipment using straps and ratchets with limited stretch. Bungee cords are not suitable.

8. LT All Terrain Tires:
Tires are the most common failure mode on any vehicle adventure, so a high-quality brand with Light Truck rating and a strong sidewall are important attributes. Typically, an all terrain tread is best practice as it affords the best overall performance. Specialized terrain may require other tread designs. It is also recommended that you increase the tire size by one or two steps, but favoring an increase in height over an increase in width. For example, a Discovery I was fitted from the factory with 235/70 R16 tires. A good upgrade is a 245/75 R16 which fits without body modifications. This varies widely by vehicle and some trucks come stock with appropriate tires, like the Wrangler Rubicon for example.

9. Suspension: Optional but optimal
Most vehicles come from the factory with springs that are too soft and shocks that have limited fluid volume and geriatric valving. As a result, the vehicle handles poorly and sags from the load of equipment. For most exploration, the goal is not to simply make the truck taller, but to make it perform better with a load. Avoid ‘kits' that only tout inches of ‘lift'. Look for manufactures that address load, handling, shock valving and suspension geometry. Match the increased spring rate to your known equipment load and never exceed the vehicle's GVWR.

10. Bull-Bar and Self-Recovery: Optional but optimal
This last item is not cheap, but provides some important protection and self-reliance. Reality has shown that animal strikes are a real and constant threat on long trips and in remote areas. Hit a deer on a backroad without a good roo-bar and the trip is over. A quality bumper [link] will also provide recovery points and provision for an electric winch. In most exploration and remote travel scenarios, a winch is an invaluable tool. Most stuck scenarios can be resolved with the recovery equipment listed above- a winch solves the others.

In nearly all scenarios a winch should be installed before adding cross-axle differential locks and other traction devices. In an extreme scenario, a winch [link] provides greater control and slow progress, all while limiting the chance of a roll-over.

Notes:
This article is not intended to address camping and support equipment.
This article is not intended for recreational off-road travel in a club / large group, although most of the logic applies

What is your list?

Last edited:

toymaster

Explorer
Scott,

That is a pretty comprehensive list. I would add a snatch block. You have one pictured but it is not listed. Maybe in section 10 you could mention: Not all pulls that are needed are straight and a snatch block can double the pulling power of a winch. In addition, it allows more rope to be taken off the drum also increasing the winches pulling power. In the last few years I have used a block on every pull.

P.S. In section 4 you have a typo "and other know failure points"

Scott Brady

Founder
Good feedback. I updated the self-recovery element to say "A winch requires additional equipment and training for safe and best use."

jaxs1984

Adventurer
The list is great but I think #11 should be a dry-run of actually using your new gear in a controlled environment. For example, change your tires, test out the winch, etc... ..

coastsider

Adventurer
Great list and post! I have my own version that I keep and check before every trip, I'm constantly updating and modifying it, here it is:

Recovery/rescue

• Highlift Jack, bottle jack
  • snatch strap, D rings, shackles, tree saver
  • choke chain (turn highlift into a winch)
  • sand ladders (desert trips)
  • x2 spare full size tires/rims
  • shovel
  • hand axe
  • wheel chocks
  • heavy duty leather work gloves
  • rope
​
Trail repair/maintenence

• Onboard Air CO2 tank
  • Staun Tire deflators
  • Tools : hammer, hack saw full socket set, pliers, x 2 adjustable crescent wrenches, hex keys, wire cutters,
  • Standard & Phillips screwdrivers (large, medium, small), vice grips, sparkplug socket
  • bailing wire, duct tape, cable ties
  • gas funnel, siphon
  • electrical tape
  • spare electrical fuses
  • WD40
  • jumper cables, battery charger

Navigation

• GPS, Paper topo maps, compass, binoculars

Safety/Survial

• comprehensive first aid kit (inc. snakebite kit)
  • CB radio, NOAA weather radio
  • matches/lighter/firestarter flint
  • flares, signal mirror
  • Spare Gas
  • 20 Gallons drinking water
  • fire extinguisher
  • Tarps, poles, rope
  • flashlight, headlamps
  • multi-tool
  • water purifier/filter
  • survival blanket
  • beer
​
Camping list

• Maps, information about the area
  • Lanterns
  • Mosquito repellant
  • knife, multi-tool
  • Toilet paper
  • Towels (micro-fibre)
  • Backpack/day pack
  • Cooler
  • Cooking Pans
  • Propane
  • Cups, plates, bowls
  • Paper towels
  • Folding camping chairs/tables
  • Sleeping bag
  • Stove or grill and fuel
  • Tarps
  • Bathing suit
  • Flip flops or swimming shoes
  • Hat
  • Hiking boots/socks/gaiters
  • Rain jacket
  • Fleece
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunblock
  • Binoculars
  • Bottle opener
  • Snacks
  • Trash bags
  • Extra truck keys
  • Sunscreen
  • Sunglasses
  • Camera
  • Pelican camera case accessories/cables/batteries/chargers
​
Pre-departure Maintenance Checklist

• Check engine oil
  • Check transmission oil
  • Check brake fluid
  • Check radiator coolant
  • Check windshield wiper fluid
  • Check fan belts
  • Check hoses
  • Check air cleaner
  • Check tire air pressure (air up to recommended pressure for highway driving, air down at trail head, air up prior to trip home)
  • Check for tire wear or damage
  • Tighten drive shaft u-bolts
  • Check and tighten lug bolts
  • Check for frame cracks
  • Check brake pads & shoes (adequate braking pad material, in good condition and without contamination)
  • Check for loose bolts or nuts throughout vehicle
  • Grease all fittings (u-joints, steering)
  • Check gear oils: transfer case/differentials, replace if necessary
  • Check shocks

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I'm sure you meant to say "In the western US, most states have a Benchmark Atlas that shows roads, trails and natural features."

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would go for dual batteries or a jump start box also early in the list if solo travel is a common thing.

And for me a fridge comes before a winch...at least if I get stuck I can enjoy the down time :)
In all honesty a winch is such a rarely used thing me in the desert southwest that the value award goes to the fridge first.

The other point I would like to make is to make sure the "nut behind the wheel" is on right. I do alot of solo outings with just my family or maybe 1 other rig. That means being willing to turn around vs likely breakage, making sure we know the weather & terrain in case things go pear shaped and not letting my ego get the best of me (driving tired, angry, fast).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nice article Scott, thanks for posting it here so we can comment. I'm a bit confused about BluePoint verses SnapOn. Is BluePoint a discounted SnapOn product? That tool kit you linked too looks pretty nice!

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a discount offering from Snap-on. I really like the Proxxon kit we currently use, but it has not been available in the US for some time.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ummmmmm......on board air?

In my opinion NOTHING does more for off-road performance than proper air pressure in the tires. While its 'free' to go down in pressure, getting the tires back up is always a bit of a hassle. I tend to see a LOT of tire problems that could be fixed with a plug kit and a small electric compressor rather than having to change out the tire completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles