First Season of Camping in our Overland Expedition Vehicles Summit

Trail Talk

Not sure if we were canny smart or naively foolish to take delivery of our OEV Summit in time for winter camping. It certainly has been a learning experience. What we really enjoy about winter camping is the lack of crowds. On the other hand, many public and most private campgrounds were closed and choice was extremely limited. Having "elbow room" is a top priority, so it remains to be seen how different our travels will be this summer.

IMG_2884 copy.JPG

The original Summit cabin specs as received from OEV met our needs with few substitutions.
  • 2X Victron Blue Power AGM 12-170
  • 2X 170 watt solar panels
  • Victron MPPT 30 amp solar controller
  • Victron BMV-712 smart battery monitor
  • Xantrex Freedom XC2000 inverter/charger w/FreedomX remote panel
  • Samlex dual-sensing automatic charge relay/isolator ACR-160
  • 45 gallons fresh water
  • 35 gallons grey water
  • dinette bed 52”x80”
  • upper bed 48”x80” w/6” mattress (replaced with 4” mattress and Froli Star spring kit)
  • NovaKool R3800 DC compressor refrigerator
  • 110V AC galley plug
  • Blue Sea circuit breakers
  • 2X Sureflo water pumps
  • Webasto ThermoTop C gasoline-fired hydronic heater (still sorting out coolant leaks)
  • Dometic propane 2-burner cooktop
  • Viking 20lb composite propane tank (leaked, replaced with 20lb steel tank)
  • pedestal dinette table (replaced with Lagun swivel mount)
  • Thetford C223CS cassette toilet (replaced with AirHead separating toilet)
  • Bullfinch outside shower w/23Zero Peregrine shower tent
  • MaxxAir electric exhaust fan (added interior roll-shade)
  • 4” LED lighting on sides, 10” LED at rear, all switched from cab
  • Seitz dual-pane windows with shade and insect screens
  • Tern entry and cargo doors
  • Bomar marine hatch 25”x25” with shade and insect screen
  • spare tire carrier w/1:1 hand winch (replaced w/4:1 hand winch)
  • rear ladder (OEV optional extra)
  • pass-through delete (OEV optional extra, still sorting out frost from thermal bridging)
  • cabin door security bar (OEV optional extra)
  • custom rear bumper with class V trailer hitch/plug
  • custom exterior storage box (OEV optional extra)
  • added electric space heater, 110V
  • added fire extinguisher and fire blanket
  • added Scepter 5 gal jerry cans X2
IMG_2926 copy.JPG

The truck also received some attention.
  • studded winter tires on stock rims
  • BF Goodrich KO2 tires on Method 701HD alloy rims for summer
  • Builtright dash bracket with RAM mounts for phone, tablet
  • Bushwacker front fender flares with Ford inner fender liners, Gatorback front mud flaps
  • fire extinguisher, warning triangles, safety vest
  • limited recovery kit
  • tool kit and hydraulic jack (not included with cab chassis)
  • rear back-up camera (not included with cab chassis)
  • spare tire/rim (not included with cab chassis)
Waiting to install a lower-profile front air dam, grille bug screen, and LED bulbs. Trips planned this summer to BC and Vancouver Island, northern Alberta, and the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

IMG_4535 copy.JPG

Last edited:

Big Rudy

Its nice to see people actually using their rigs all year round. I've followed your posts, OEV builds a nice camper, we were at their factory about five years and were very impressed.
You have a few items on your build that are on my wish list, if and when the next one gets going. Would you mind commenting...
First the 7.3 gas Ford, what are you averaging for fuel consumption?
Zantrex XC inverter/charger, performance? Do you have the bluetooth remote?
Do you have a isolation valve to drain the outside Bullfinch, if not how does it do in the cold?
Is that a OEV created spare tire rack?
Thanks, and keep enjoying!

Trail Talk

My pleasure to respond, thanks for asking :). Great to hear you enjoyed a visit to Lite Industries, it is very busy now since the Camp-X has really taken off.
1. The Godzilla engine with 4.30 gearing and 10-speed transmission is a real beast and can easily keep up with urban traffic or climbing big grades. The trade-off is gas mileage which, according to the onboard computer, is averaging 22 litres/100 km. This has improved from 25 litres when new. I'm also learning to drive a bit more fuel-smart!
2. Our Xantrex doesn't have bluetooth connectivity, however, we have the VictronConnect app to monitor the batteries and solar charger.
3. Sorry I can't answer. We took possession of the unit winterized so I haven't had to drain the water lines yet. Will continue to run dry until overnight temps stay above zero.
4. OEV made the adjustable spare tire mount and the fuel rack above it. There is also a hanger for a pulley to lower the spare. Unfortunately the fuel rack, at 6.5 inches deep, is a bit too narrow for my Scepter jerry cans. I haven't actually had any luck finding anything online that would fit, so if you know of a "slim" quality-made jerry can I'd appreciate hearing. I could get a couple of 3 gal RotoPax up there but hate to lose the 4 gallons... or invest in any more RotoPax paraphernalia :rolleyes:

Jonnyo

Observer
My pleasure to respond, thanks for asking :). Great to hear you enjoyed a visit to Lite Industries, it is very busy now since the Camp-X has really taken off.
1. The Godzilla engine with 4.30 gearing and 10-speed transmission is a real beast and can easily keep up with urban traffic or climbing big grades. The trade-off is gas mileage which, according to the onboard computer, is averaging 22 litres/100 km. This has improved from 25 litres when new. I'm also learning to drive a bit more fuel-smart!
2. Our Xantrex doesn't have bluetooth connectivity, however, we have the VictronConnect app to monitor the batteries and solar charger.
3. Sorry I can't answer. We took possession of the unit winterized so I haven't had to drain the water lines yet. Will continue to run dry until overnight temps stay above zero.
4. OEV made the adjustable spare tire mount and the fuel rack above it. There is also a hanger for a pulley to lower the spare. Unfortunately the fuel rack, at 6.5 inches deep, is a bit too narrow for my Scepter jerry cans. I haven't actually had any luck finding anything online that would fit, so if you know of a "slim" quality-made jerry can I'd appreciate hearing. I could get a couple of 3 gal RotoPax up there but hate to lose the 4 gallons... or invest in any more RotoPax paraphernalia :rolleyes:

beautifull truck and camper! i m like you, i love winter camping for the quiet and empty places! banff is great in winter! in summer, i find boondocking to be more fun and for alberta/bc, banff, jasper, vancouver island etc... it s very easy to do so!

here s a few years ago camping in -20degres at tunnel mountain!

1618448349532.png

Alloy

Not sure if we were canny smart or naively foolish to take delivery of our OEV Summit in time for winter camping. It certainly has been a learning experience. What we really enjoy about winter camping is the lack of crowds. On the other hand, many public and most private campgrounds were closed and choice was extremely limited. Having "elbow room" is a top priority, so it remains to be seen how different our travels will be this summer.

The original Summit cabin specs as received from OEV met our needs with few substitutions.
  • 2X Victron Blue Power AGM 12-170
  • 2X 170 watt solar panels
  • Victron MPPT 30 amp solar controller
  • Victron BMV-712 smart battery monitor
  • Xantrex Freedom XC2000 inverter/charger w/FreedomX remote panel
  • Samlex dual-sensing automatic charge relay/isolator ACR-160
  • 45 gallons fresh water
  • 35 gallons grey water
  • dinette bed 52”x80”
  • upper bed 48”x80” w/6” mattress (replaced with 4” mattress and Froli Star spring kit)
  • NovaKool R3800 DC compressor refrigerator
  • 110V AC galley plug
  • Blue Sea circuit breakers
  • 2X Sureflo water pumps
  • Webasto ThermoTop C gasoline-fired hydronic heater (still sorting out coolant leaks)
  • Dometic propane 2-burner cooktop
  • Viking 20lb composite propane tank (leaked, replaced with 20lb steel tank)
  • pedestal dinette table (replaced with Lagun swivel mount)
  • Thetford C223CS cassette toilet (replaced with AirHead separating toilet)
  • Bullfinch outside shower w/23Zero Peregrine shower tent
  • MaxxAir electric exhaust fan (added interior roll-shade)
  • 4” LED lighting on sides, 10” LED at rear, all switched from cab
  • Seitz dual-pane windows with shade and insect screens
  • Tern entry and cargo doors
  • Bomar marine hatch 25”x25” with shade and insect screen
  • spare tire carrier w/1:1 hand winch (replaced w/4:1 hand winch)
  • rear ladder (OEV optional extra)
  • pass-through delete (OEV optional extra, still sorting out frost from thermal bridging)
  • cabin door security bar (OEV optional extra)
  • custom rear bumper with class V trailer hitch/plug
  • custom exterior storage box (OEV optional extra)
  • added electric space heater, 110V
  • added fire extinguisher and fire blanket
  • added Scepter 5 gal jerry cans X2

The truck also received some attention.
  • studded winter tires on stock rims
  • BF Goodrich KO2 tires on Method 701HD alloy rims for summer
  • Builtright dash bracket with RAM mounts for phone, tablet
  • Bushwacker front fender flares with Ford inner fender liners, Gatorback front mud flaps
  • fire extinguisher, warning triangles, safety vest
  • limited recovery kit
  • tool kit and hydraulic jack (not included with cab chassis)
  • rear back-up camera (not included with cab chassis)
  • spare tire/rim (not included with cab chassis)
Waiting to install a lower-profile front air dam, grille bug screen, and LED bulbs. Trips planned this summer to BC and Vancouver Island, northern Alberta, and the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

Thumbs up for winter.

Air dams + snow + off road don't mix well and make it difficult to get something from under the truck...especially shoveling snow.

Our water system is good down to -20C but once we are done I blow out the lines out then add windshield fluid to the traps. It's faster for both winterizing and start up.

If you plan on visiting BC Parks make sure they are accepting out of province visitors.....rumors are circulating they may close the parks.

A set of double duty chains front and back will allow acess to more campsites.

I think these are 6 3/4-7"

Trail Talk

I think these are 6 3/4-7"

Thanks for the tips and link. I had a hard time finding any site with measurements of that Scepter RV container but according to Costco:
  • Dimensions (L x W x H): 33 cm x 17.1 cm x 47 cm (13 in. x 6.75 in. x 18.5 in.)
Unfortunately still too big for the 6.5" platform of the OEV fuel rack :confused:

Trail Talk

But now building my own composite camper so it s fun to see exemple like yours!

If you intend to take your composite camper out in winter, I'd strongly recommend paying close attention to thermal bridging. We have a couple of spots in the interior where the frost builds up very thick then melts to leave water pools in very inconvenient places (like the battery compartment).

Jonnyo

Observer
yes, my concern currently is the door. the one i have as a aluminum frame so there will be thermal bridging and a nice door like your is definitly expensive. That is the only thermal bridging i should have as everything will be fiberglass. But the small tear drop we had had significant ice build up in the metal window and metal door and metal compartment door. i dont think many people use those unit is such extreme weather but you see the weakness very quickly after a few days out there!!!

do you like your webasto heater? does it keep up easy? Another aspect i decide again is propane for cooktop. induction help a little in reducing humidity inside.

Trail Talk

do you like your webasto heater? does it keep up easy? Another aspect i decide again is propane for cooktop. induction help a little in reducing humidity inside.

The Webasto has functioned well once sorted; the unit itself hasn't presented any issues but the hydronics plumbing has. When our Summit was manufactured, the Thermo Top hydronic unit was the only gasoline option. Now Webasto has a gas-fired air heater so another choice is available, we may even add the air heater to supplement the hydronics.

ScottPC

Seems like OEV would provide the make of tank they designed it for? Maybe it's just to tie down some firewood:)

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
You winter campers are crazy! I complain like a toddler when it's cold out. Guess that's what I get living in San Diego my whole life!

Such an awesome camper and that pic of the snow and river is amazing. Nice truck/camper!

Trail Talk

Seems like OEV would provide the make of tank they designed it for? Maybe it's just to tie down some firewood:)

LOL, never thought of firewood up there. Maybe that can be another topic if I can't find a fuel container that fits; what to use the space for. I'm picturing a stuffed teddy bear...

1111a_011.jpg

This was the jerry can the rack was built around. They weren't included with our Summit and I just can't find 'em. Seems that recent EPA and CARB regulations have resulted in larger dimensions for the newest fuel containers. Please help if you know the manufacturer with the "V" symbol on this can, might be another avenue to search.

Summit fuel cans copy.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles